New Texan member

Welcome 686! Nothing like AH for information and getting people on their way to Africa.

Welcome to AH 686. I'd recommend taking a Kudu and a Zebra in SA both are fantastic hunts. What rifle do you plan on using on your Safari?

Welcome to AH. It appears you are enjoying the planning and prep already

Welcome, enjoy the planning it's half the fun. Hope to see a hunt report on your return.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and kind words. Yes, I'm a bit of a "knowledge junky" and definitely enjoy the planning and prep. I first started researching safari topics about 10 years ago, but the time just wasn't right for me then; I didn't feel seasoned enough as a hunter and traveler to feel confident planning/navigating things on my own, and didn't have a mentor or partner that was interested in going with me. Now that I've done more hunting and international travel/business (and put a little more money in the bank), I feel more confident that I can do this, and the mentoring/info available on this site has really helped bolster that confidence.

Art, regarding targeting bigger PG species, I will hopefully get a 375 solution worked up for myself that I'm proficient/confident with. I've been on hunts where we have tracked wounded deer for days, and I want to avoid that on this hunt. If I can get proficient with a 375, I'll take it and use it for the bigger PG, if not, I'll probably stick with my 270 and might only take a shot on a larger animal if the situation is optimal.

Welcome to AH !

Central Texas. I grew up about an hour South of Austin, now I live about an hour North of Austin.

I grew up shooting my grandfathers .30 Remington (pump) and then a 6mm Remington Model 700. Those guns sit in the safe mostly now. A Tikka T3 270 is my go-to deer rifle, but I do a fair amount of archery hunting as well. Dove hunting is probably my favorite shooting sport. I shoot a 28ga SxS and a 16ga 1100 mostly now, and have a 20ga 870 and 1100 that stay in the safe for the most part.

I don’t currently reload, but have saved a bunch of brass and shells in anticipation of getting into it at some point.

Welcome to AH ... I shot a lot of hill country whitetails in the Boerne, TX area with a 6mm Remington Model 700!

Welcome to AH ... I shot a lot of hill country whitetails in the Boerne, TX area with a 6mm Remington Model 700!

We hunted in the late 80’s/early 90’s on a ranch outside of Bergheim.

I hunted with my sister-in-law and her husband on family land about a mile North of Bergheim on FM 3351 during that time. I am pretty sure that you were the ones that shot all of the young bucks that I let walk!

I hunted with my sister-in-law and her husband on family land about a mile North of Bergheim on FM 3351 during that time. I am pretty sure that you were the ones that shot all of the young bucks that I let walk!

There weren’t many mature bucks on the place we hunted either. In fact I never shot a buck on that place, only does. My dad only shot one mature buck there. Like a lot of the hill country, it was a pretty mis-managed place by today’s standards. It’s the Coveny Ranch subdivision now, about a mile west of Bergheim.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH.......enjoy it.....!!!!

Dear 686
Welcome to this great Forum. Enjoy gathering information to determine your African safari destination.
Enjoy the planning process since it forms a huge FUN part of your safari.
Happy hunting and straight shooting.

Welcome to AH 686!

Welcome to AH 686! Nice to have you on the posting side, looking forward to reading your posts.

Welcome to AH 686! Nice to have you on the posting side, looking forward to reading your posts.

Thanks! I look forward to talking with you all. I need to get my dad to talk with you as well. Looks like DSC has published their exhibit hall layout and you'll be at booth 3423, so we'll plan on stopping by.

Look forward to seeing you at the convention. If you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach us at +1-617-459-4200.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.