New scope for my 308 Norma Magnum needed. Need advice please.

Jörg Krüger

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa
Good day all, I need to get a new scope for my 308 Norma magnum.
The old one does not keep zero anymore(Hawke piece of scheit)
The options available for me is a Lynx LX2 3.5-10x50 , Lynx LX 3 -12x56 , Lynx LX 6-24x42 , Leopold Freedom VX 3-9x50 , Leopold VX Freedom 4-12x40 TRI MOA.
Anybody on this great forum have any first hand experience with these scopes? How good are they? Can they handle recoil? How is the clarity? Is the eye relief good? etc.
I thank you good members in advance for any input.

@Jörg Krüger The Lynx have had a pretty decent reputation over here in SA for a long time, but I'm not sure it is as rugged as the Leupold. I just don't know the Lynx that well. The Leupold's are known to be able to take a beating. They are very tough.
Which type of terrain are you going to be hunting most of the time? The 308 Norma Mag is a very nice cartridge and almost identical to the .300 Win Mag, barring a longer neck, so I'm assuming that you would like to reach out a bit further. In that case, I don't think that the 3-9x will cut it, so out of those, my vote would go to the 4-12x. If I could get it in a 50 Objective lens, even better.

Never heard of Lynx scopes,aside from reading about them here.
No way to get other ones?

@Jörg Krüger The Lynx have had a pretty decent reputation over here in SA for a long time, but I'm not sure it is as rugged as the Leupold. I just don't know the Lynx that well. The Leupold's are known to be able to take a beating. They are very tough.
Which type of terrain are you going to be hunting most of the time? The 308 Norma Mag is a very nice cartridge and almost identical to the .300 Win Mag, barring a longer neck, so I'm assuming that you would like to reach out a bit further. In that case, I don't think that the 3-9x will cut it, so out of those, my vote would go to the 4-12x. If I could get it in a 50 Objective lens, even better.
Thank you Marius,
I hunt mostly in the Klein Karoo. Most shots are in the 300 meter range.
I am strongly considering the Lynx LX3 2.5-15x50 SA Hunter or the Lynx LX3-12x56 SA Hunter.
Screenshot_20210921-155939_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210921-160930_Chrome.jpg

I don't think that you will go wrong with that 2.5-15 x 50. You are welcome to give me a call if you like. Next safari starts in a few days, so can talk.
All the best,

VxII Leupold 3-9x50 if that caves into for some reason there is very strong forces one have not taken into consideration . Also good light gathering and eye relief. If they have a VXR around there it is quite nifty illuminated reticle in a updated package.

On a stalking rifle chambered for the 308 Norma Magnum I would expect a lighter scope to last significantly longer than a heavier scope. If your rifle is on the heavier side, you will probably get good service out of the Lynx 2.5-15 scope, based on what I have heard about their quality.
You cannot cheat physics. Nice looking hunting area.

I am having a similar decision for my browning 308 Norma. Have an older gloss vari x 2 3-9 duplex, a vx2 3-9 duplex and a schmidt bender 8x56 with a number one not currently on rifles.

If I use the schmidt to mount it low enough would need to pop off rear sight as the scope is quite long.

I may just try one of the leupolds for now and see how it does.

Not familiar with the Lynx but put a 3-9x Leupold Freedom on a .300 Win mag Encore barrel. Has about 300 rds thru it. Haven’t had any issues with it. A majority of my scopes are Leupold and have served me well for years.

Get the LX3 2.5 to 15x50 with the SA hunters reticle. Lifetime guarantee local support excellent scope
I am really considering this scope. Thanks @IvW.
I heard that Lynx can adapt the BDC markings to compensate for caliber specific bullet drop. I don't know if this is true, but would be great if they could do this.

I have a 3.5 - 18 Swarovski on mine. I have often wished it was a 1-6 or 1-8. I think any magnification over 8 if really for more unique shots, not the typical 300m and less hunting. While, on the low end, I am always concerned the 3.5x is a disadvantage for areas where your shooting distances could be close snap shots, follow ups in denser bush etc. The 308 Norma is perfectly suited to both terrains, so of the scopes listed I think the 2.5x variable would be a very good choice.

I would want a 50x scope and a very very long shot on that snake. Lol

I am not familiar with the scope brands. But, I honestly don't think the cartridge is abusive in properly weighted rifles.

I picked up some Warne steel bases and rings . Decided on a vx2 3-9 for now. I have a older gloss one as well , but for now went with the newer one to try the 308 Norma out.

View attachment 426416
A lock ring for the ocular housing is always best (on a hunting scope) both to keep moisture out and minimise rotation. A target scope will be okay with a piece of insulation tape holding the ocular housing in place. Threads and seals wear, causing scope problems at the most inconvenient times. Ask me how I know this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg