New rifle

There have been several fine calibers mentioned, but with what you have you certainly have no "need" for anything to fill the gaps. I mean yes, you could get a 6mm, 6.5 manbun, 7mm-07, etc. but you could easily use your .270 instead. Same with something between your .270 and .300WM... no need. Realistically you're good to go as-is. BUT it seems you just WANT to get something else, and I can't blame you there! (y):Finger::S Agree:
So... . let's see what we can do to justify a purchase ... Do you have a solid, short barreled, fast action short range rifle for heavy bush?
Everyone should have a 30-30.
Do you have levers, pumps, single shots, semi autos, doubles, bolts, etc? Everyone needs variety.
Do you have a slug gun? Or a 12ga you are comfortable using buckshot in? You don't wanna die without ever shotgunning a deer do you?
Do you have an AR15 or something similar to get all the liberal twats and snowflakes all in a tizzy? You should. They need more stuff to be upset about.
The list goes on......
Come to think of it, maybe it is more of a need...

I have a 22/250 and 270
And numerous bigger calibers
I’m only small so looking a Kimber 84
Which is a fairly light rifle
I do not want a synthetic stock
Choice is Kimber or Sako

I’m looking for suggestions that would fit somewhere in the 22/250 270 300 range (I think)that I have

Any suggestions!????
I certainly have a sufficient number of rifles on hand. Some that I bought for the particular rifle itself and others due to the particular cartridge. Most will only see a bit of range time. I have limited hunting time and there is a handful that I actually use, or have a desire to use.
I recently “rediscovered” the humble 270 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield, and 308 Winchester. Another one that I have admiration for is the 7mm-08.
My personal considerations would be:
For non-magnum short actions, the 7mm-08 and 308 Winchester are my choices for short action rifles.
For standard action non-magnums, the 270 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield, 338-06, and 35 Whelen would be my choices. Of these, I lean towards the 338-06.
For a “magnum” 300, I would pick a 300 WSM.

Not intending to hijack this thread but regarding the origin of the 7mm-08, it is very simple. Once fired Military brass could / can be found in abundance and 7mm dia. bullets are ballistically superior to those in 30 cal. I was introduced to this caliber in 1986 while working in Mexico where it is quite popular with metallic silhouette shooters. Read rams at 500 meters i.e.550 yds. OFFHAND!!

The only reason the 7mm-08 exists is for those countries (I'm looking at you, France and Belgium) where it is forbidden to possess a rifle chambered in a military caliber. Neck down a 7.62X51 to 7X51, and suddenly, making no real difference at all, you have a "legal" rifle. So unless you need to, why would you?
Actually, the comment below reminds me there is a lot of information online as to why the 7mm-08 was developed for metallic silhouette shooters who needed certain ballistics and retained energy for that purpose. It has proven great results chambered in rifles and been a proven hunting round.
An advantage of you plan to Hunt those countries that ban military chambering s .

Not intending to hijack this thread but regarding the origin of the 7mm-08, it is very simple. Once fired Military brass could / can be found in abundance and 7mm dia. bullets are ballistically superior to those in 30 cal. I was introduced to this caliber in 1986 while working in Mexico where it is quite popular with metallic silhouette shooters. Read rams at 500 meters i.e.550 yds. OFFHAND!!

Constructive and informative input.
I'm a fan of the 7mm-08.
While I don't own a Creedmoor it also evolved from a need and was developed for a purpose long range target shooting. .

I will think about things
A friend Neil is offering me a 30/30 (scoped) soon
Plus a handgun (I use for target shooting 22 caliber)
But I have
22/250
Two 270s
300 Winchester magnum

45/70
338 Winchester magnum
416 Remington magnum

I would like something in “between”

But I have
22/250
Two 270s
300 Winchester magnum

45/70
338 Winchester magnum
416 Remington magnum

Looks to me like you need 2 "in between" rifles.

318WR or even a 8mm Mauser for that first gap above .30 caliber.
Plus some sort of .375/9.3mm to fill the obvious hole between 338WM and 416RM.

BTW - How is it you DON'T have a .375/9.3mm and still maintain an AH membership? I thought it was a requirement to purchase one within a year of joining. ;)

But I have
22/250
Two 270s
300 Winchester magnum

45/70
338 Winchester magnum
416 Remington magnum

With all due respect. Anything “in between” will be terribly redundant.
May I suggest that you stop searching for the caliber you want, and start searching for the rifle you want. The caliber won’t matter because you are well covered. Just find a rifle that speaks to you.

Looks to me like you need 2 "in between" rifles.

318WR or even a 8mm Mauser for that first gap above .30 caliber.
Plus some sort of .375/9.3mm to fill the obvious hole between 338WM and 416RM.

BTW - How is it you DON'T have a .375/9.3mm and still maintain an AH membership? I thought it was a requirement to purchase one within a year of joining. ;)

I sold my 375 H&H
Because I have the 416
Must maintain my AH membership

6.5/.260 sits nicely between .224 & .277.

The 7mm/.284 options sit between the .270w and .300wm.

Can you narrow it down to long or short action type cartridge?
Since it's a Sako the action will be matched to suit.

Is there a purpose for it?
.280ai might be good configured as a mountain rifle. Long action
6.55x55 or ..25-06 if it's long range maybe Dingo foxes Fallow or a HB Varmint rifle

.260 might be a nice smallish hunting rifle for Fallow, pigs and goats.

7mm-08 if you want a compact rifle for the scrub with lower recoil.

Depends if you have a type you think you need.

The lever fills a different spot so that's a given.

I sold my 375 H&H
Because I have the 416
Must maintain my AH membership
Fair enough, membership in tact.
But you still have a gap between 338 and 416. :cool:

I second (or perhaps third?) The 30-30. It is a 30 cal but it's practical use I think distinguishes it from both the 270 and 300.

Good luck friend!

Dr. Ray

I was about to suggest a .270wsm until I saw your list of quite capable calibers you currently have.

So why not a Kimber Super America in .25-06?

Fast handling and if you load you can really make it shine.

I was just looking at that
Thanks

You won’t believe this but I went hand gun target shooting and asked one of the instructors about the Kimber M84.
He has/had a Kimber with a stainless steel fluted barrel with all the fine tunings for competition in 308 for sale.
Mine now!
Michael won a 500 yard shooting competition with it and along with a very reasonable price comes a great lot of factory and hand loaded ammo.
Monday I look like buying a 30/30!
Will forward photos soon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg