New member from QLD Australia

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
I am 75 this year, i do not think i will ever get to Africa, i will do the stock work, Yes i reload for all my center fire rifles all 26 of them, from 22 hornet to 350 remingtom mag i hunt pigs, deer, rabbits, Ferrel cats & goats across QLD, NSW & The Northern Territory.
Oh well, sounds like you have had a good life and you are still hunting. That's the main thing.
I mostly hunt ferals within NSW.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Thanks men i will start photos when i get action & barrel back.
@rdog
Mate I notice you have a 350 rem mag. What do you think of it, what loads do you use as nd what do you hunt with it?
I have the 35 Whelen and load it up to its full potential like 250 grainers at 2,700 fps and 225 grain Woodleigh PPSP at over 2,900 fps.
I love the 35 and use it on everything and it went to Namibia with me.
AT 75 years young you aren't to old to get to Africa. The only thing stopping you is our gov't and your state of mind. If'n you want to go y ou will find a way. I didn't get there until I was 60 and now 63. Glad i made my dream come true with my family.
Bob

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
@rdog
Mate I notice you have a 350 rem mag. What do you think of it, what loads do you use as nd what do you hunt with it?
I have the 35 Whelen and load it up to its full potential like 250 grainers at 2,700 fps and 225 grain Woodleigh PPSP at over 2,900 fps.
AT 75 years young you aren't to old to get to Africa. The only thing stopping you is our gov't and your state of mind. If'n you want to go y ou will find a way. I didn't get there until I was 60 and now 63. Glad i made my dream come true with my family.
Bob
@rdog
Sometimes I can agree with Bob.
If you can make it to Africa the hunting is not that hard. They provide everything including the help. If you can walk around ok and carry your rifle you will be right.
Cost wasn't to bad really and I'm careful with my discretionary spending.
Don't discount the idea if you are interested. Saying that that there is a lot of Australia to see and a Buffalo in my future I hope.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Welcome to AH! Don’t let Bob talk you into a .35 Whelen. Get a .338WM instead, if you want some more oomph! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
You are a silly vegemite. Why would you he needs a wimpy 338.
He is an Aussie mate and has a,short action Whelen. A 350 REM MAG.. So you now have another intelligent 35 user to contend with.
Bob

African Sporting Creations

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
africansportingcreations.com
Media
Member of
DSC, SCI
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Welcome to AH. Nice to have you as part of our community. Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting!

CoElkHunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
@CoElkHunter
You are a silly vegemite. Why would you he needs a wimpy 338.
He is an Aussie mate and has a,short action Whelen. A 350 REM MAG.. So you now have another intelligent 35 user to contend with.
Bob
Bob,
See that beautiful belt on the .350 Remington Mag? It's basically a short .338WM necked up to .35. The parent case is the 7mmRM. Take any case from the .458WM family (.264, 7mm, .300, .338, etc.) and cut it in a miter box with a hacksaw and you'll have the .350. Great cartridge. I may have to consider it someday as I have the .338 brass to form it.
CEH

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Bob,
See that beautiful belt on the .350 Remington Mag? It's basically a short .338WM necked up to .35. The parent case is the 7mmRM. Take any case from the .458WM family (.264, 7mm, .300, .338, etc.) and cut it in a miter box with a hacksaw and you'll have the .350. Great cartridge. I may have to consider it someday as I have the .338 brass to form it.
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Why not be lazy and just neck the 338 brass up and make a 358 Norma.
Bob

CoElkHunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
@CoElkHunter
Why not be lazy and just neck the 338 brass up and make a 358 Norma.
Bob
Bob,
I've actually thought about that, but then I wouldn't get to play with a miter box and hacksaw? Besides, I found a set of new RCBS .350RM dies awhile back cheap, just in case? Try and find HERE a set of .358 Norma dies. Although, I think that is a great cartridge.
CEH

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Bob,
I've actually thought about that, but then I wouldn't get to play with a miter box and hacksaw? Besides, I found a set of new RCBS .350RM dies awhile back cheap, just in case? Try and find HERE a set of .358 Norma dies. Although, I think that is a great cartridge.
CEH
@CoElkHunter
You have to much time on your hands mate. You have dies and ammo for rifles you haven't got yet. There's nothing wrong with being prepared tho.
One of these days you might just see the light and get a REAL rifle in a good 35 cal. Once you do you to will sing it's praises. At least you have made a start down the 25 highway.
We live in hope that you will convert from the wimpy little 338.

CoElkHunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
@CoElkHunter
You have to much time on your hands mate. You have dies and ammo for rifles you haven't got yet. There's nothing wrong with being prepared tho.
One of these days you might just see the light and get a REAL rifle in a good 35 cal. Once you do you to will sing it's praises. At least you have made a start down the 25 highway.
We live in hope that you will convert from the wimpy little 338.
"at least you have made a start down the 25 highway". Could be the "highway to hell"? AC/DC. Ha! Ha! Ha!

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Welcome to AH!

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Just joined I found this forum looking for info to build an African style rifle,
Action is FN commercial 98 in 270 win. from the 1960s.
Barrel Lother Walther chambered in 8x57.
Stock old Bishop m98 unfinished i have from about 1979.
Trigger timney with safety.
Scope Leupold vx2 2x7 still in the box i have had for a long time.
Mounts & bases Warne 1 inch low.

Receiver & barrel is at gunsmith to be fitted.
I have 200 ppu 8x57 brass, & some Speer 170g & 200g projectiles to start with.

Welcome from a Qld member

TRAVEL EXPRESS

Sponsor
Since 2010
AH elite
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.travelexpressagency.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Tanzania, New Zealand, Argentina and throughout North America
Welcome to AH. Planning is half the fun! Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting.

rdog

AH member
Reaction score
Media
@rdog
Bob
My 350 Rem mag is a ruger 77 mk2 i purchased it, after i foolishly sold my ruger 35 whelen
about same performance as the whelen but it does not like 250 grain bullets as the short
action mag is too short.
i shoot 225 grain woodleighs & 220 grain speers with ww748 & ADI 2206h it realy knocks pigs over not many get up again.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
My 350 Rem mag is a ruger 77 mk2 i purchased it, after i foolishly sold my ruger 35 whelen
about same performance as the whelen but it does not like 250 grain bullets as the short
action mag is too short.
i shoot 225 grain woodleighs & 220 grain speers with ww748 & ADI 2206h it realy knocks pigs over not many get up again.
@rdog
You can really stoke the Whelen up with 250 grain hornaday round nose to almost 2,700 fps.
I recently got hold of some 225 grain woodleigh RNSP t o try in my Whelen.. At 2,900fps they should put t some big holes in Mr and Mrs pig and their families.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hydroxycholorquin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

eballo wrote on doubleboy's profile.
Is the Parker still for sale?
hunt 65 wrote on Bullthrower338's profile.
You ever sell the Hyme 458 Lott?
Bob Nelson 35Whelen wrote on jwp475's profile.
@jwp475
If you need help with your Whelen loads please PM me
Bob
xausa wrote on Challer's profile.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd be happy to let you try out my Krieghoff. I'm located in West Tennessee and the local gun club has a skeet layout and is located not far from my farm. We're about five miles from the Kentucky state line and about 100 miles west of Nashville.
I just joined today, I live in Louisiana. I joined mostly because of all of the 35 Whelen discussion as I am now very interested In the 35 Whelen. I have an 1885 Highwall that J.E.S.S. rebored to 35 Whelen

Also own 338s 375 and both a 416 rem and Rigby