New Member/First safari August 2017

I used Highveld for my 2015 mounts from Cruiser
They did great job, arrived Dec 2016, it was an Oct 2015 hunt

On crate had some damage

20170102_162912.jpg
20170102_162811.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Texas LTH, Having seen that you are considering a rifle other than or in addition to your 30-06, I'd like you to take a look at a 35 Whelen. Even though my sons and I took some of our animals with '0-6s, most of them were taken with 35 Whelens. The majority of African PHs would prefer a larger bullet traveling at a slower velocity than a small bullet traveling at a high velocity. That being said The Whelens use a larger diameter bullet with weights from 200 Gr to 250 Gr. Take a look a the ballistics, for a few more grains of powder you get a lot more energy. For instance my normal '0-6 load for Whitetails is 54.7 Gr. of Win 760 pushing a 180 Gr. bullet. The load I used on my Eland was 59.0 Gr of 4064 pushing a 225 Gr Barnes TSX. Nikon's Spot On Ballistic table shows The 30 Nosler w/ 200 Gr. AB at 2598 fps and 2998 ft.lbs of energy at 100 yds and 2448 fps with 2660 ft lbs of energy at 200 yds. Compare that to a 35 Whelen using 225 Gr AB at 2539 fps and 3221 ft. lbs of energy at 100 yds and 2335 fps with 2723 ft. lbs of energy at 200 yds. A little bit more energy at both distances, but with 20 plus grains less powder. My hand loaded Barnes TSX were slightly "hotter" than the Nosler Factory loads but you get the picture.

I left my 375 H&H and a 416 Rigby sitting home in the safe while the 35 Whelen went to Africa.

Texas LTH, Having seen that you are considering a rifle other than or in addition to your 30-06, I'd like you to take a look at a 35 Whelen. Even though my sons and I took some of our animals with '0-6s, most of them were taken with 35 Whelens. The majority of African PHs would prefer a larger bullet traveling at a slower velocity than a small bullet traveling at a high velocity. That being said The Whelens use a larger diameter bullet with weights from 200 Gr to 250 Gr. Take a look a the ballistics, for a few more grains of powder you get a lot more energy. For instance my normal '0-6 load for Whitetails is 54.7 Gr. of Win 760 pushing a 180 Gr. bullet. The load I used on my Eland was 59.0 Gr of 4064 pushing a 225 Gr Barnes TSX. Nikon's Spot On Ballistic table shows The 30 Nosler w/ 200 Gr. AB at 2598 fps and 2998 ft.lbs of energy at 100 yds and 2448 fps with 2660 ft lbs of energy at 200 yds. Compare that to a 35 Whelen using 225 Gr AB at 2539 fps and 3221 ft. lbs of energy at 100 yds and 2335 fps with 2723 ft. lbs of energy at 200 yds. A little bit more energy at both distances, but with 20 plus grains less powder. My hand loaded Barnes TSX were slightly "hotter" than the Nosler Factory loads but you get the picture.

I left my 375 H&H and a 416 Rigby sitting home in the safe while the 35 Whelen went to Africa.
My Uncle actually has a 35. May need to bring his along. Thank you and very interesting.

Hopefully you ment a 35 Whelen and not a 35 Remington. If so, "son," your worries are over. Take the Whelen and your '0-6 & be done with it. The Africans have been using a 9.3 x 62 and a 9.3 x 74 for over a century. Both calibers are highly touted. The 35 Whelen "walks" over both of them.

Hopefully you ment a 35 Whelen and not a 35 Remington. If so, "son," your worries are over. Take the Whelen and your '0-6 & be done with it. The Africans have been using a 9.3 x 62 and a 9.3 x 74 for over a century. Both calibers are highly touted. The 35 Whelen "walks" over both of them.
Yes sir it's a whelen.

Welcome @Texas-LTH! Nothing like AH for information and getting people on their way to Africa.

Question of the day, what Vaccines do you suggest for my trip? CDC suggests around 7-8.

Make sure your Tetanus shot is up to date and then vaccines for Hepatitis A and B. The protocol for Hep. B is a series of 3 shots over a six month period. I'll check my files and update/amend my reply if necessary. Show the CDC recommendations to your Family Dr. let him advise you on this as well. Mine had an app on his cell phone that he consulted before giving me the scripts I needed.

Welcome to AH! best of luck on your hunt, please keep us posted!

Welcome & Howdy!

I have taken 15+ PG animals with my 30.06 using 168 gr. Barnes TTSX. From Eland to Springbok & everything in between.

Good luck!

For all the above mentioned game would my 30-06 with 168 grain Nosler Partitions do the trick?
That is all I use for everything from Muntjac to all African plains game, also fantastic on Scottish Red Stag . I find it a very accurate and hard hitting combination. I have them running on the max load.
Markcz

Now I just need to find a way to sleep for the next 6 months, I am now waking up dreaming of Africa. I have a new baby girl about to arrive in 3 weeks so that should hopefully keep me busy!

You think you've got it bad. I leave in May, and I've had the trip booked for almost two years. Good thing you've got that baby to keep you occupied. That's three months of constant attention to her before she sleeps completely through the night. Your six months will go fast.

Welcome
Congratulations on booking your hunt with Cruisers. I took my family there in July 2015, had a great time. My daughter and I hunted with Hans, we used her 7-08. My son hunted with Hein.

Sounds like somebody is getting ready.. I used my tikka in 06 with Marius last May using 165 accubonds. Results were good with the exception of a small issue with a blesbok. Yes it was the shooter. Have a good time and you might as well start planning the second one now!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg