New Mauser vs New Rigby

Leather is nice, though it was normally reserved for shotguns. I have leather on at least half of my pigeon guns. Obviously a client could order what he wished on a bespoke rifle. I have seen a couple of period rifles with leather covered pads, but they are, at least in my experience, rare. Where leather shined was in assisting the quick mounting of a shotgun. I slid cleanly across either a waistcoat or jacket. Speed and a clean mount were a necessity with the traditional instinctive shooting style that was pretty much universal in the Edwardian era. A checkered butt provided the same smooth surface, but was a poor choice for a general purpose gun that might be stood in a corner. The Silver's pad provided protection and a secure fit in the pocket of the shoulder. Ideal for a rifle. It offers essentially no recoil reduction and is not intended to do so.

…named for the famed soldier Phil Silvers, a great hero of the peacetime army. His record of service rivaled even that of Captain Edmund Blackadder.

Leather is nice, though it was normally reserved for shotguns. I have leather on at least half of my pigeon guns. Obviously a client could order what he wished on a bespoke rifle. I have seen a couple of period rifles with leather covered pads, but they are, at least in my experience, rare. Where leather shined was in assisting the quick mounting of a shotgun. I slid cleanly across either a waistcoat or jacket. Speed and a clean mount were a necessity with the traditional instinctive shooting style that was pretty much universal in the Edwardian era. A checkered butt provided the same smooth surface, but was a poor choice for a general purpose gun that might be stood in a corner. The Silver's pad provided protection and a secure fit in the pocket of the shoulder. Ideal for a rifle. It offers essentially no recoil reduction and is not intended to do so.

It is very annoying to try to mount a firearm only to have it hang up on your clothing. As you are well aware the new cushion like recoil pads though very comfortable are also very grippy. Another reason I plan to try my hand at leather.

I don't get my hands on too many nice firearms so I had no idea a Silvers pad was that firm. Good to know.

Exactly! The gun I shot competitively in sporting and FITASC is fitted with a leather covered pad. It facilitates the smoothest mount in low gun competitions. I don’t believe that I have seen a classic British rifle with a leather covered pad, although I’m sure one exists somewhere.

That is likely the plainest stock I have yet to see on a Rigby. Below is mine (a Highland Stalker - not Big Game - but the same basic stock), and is more typical of what I have seen on these production rifles.

New Rigby .275

But I do not think there is a quality difference between the two offerings, and they are clearly intended to compete for the same customer dollar but not really against each other. Hence, the now near identical retail cost. As long as customers are debating Mauser or Rigby, L&O and Blaser Group have a winning marketing strategy.

What grade of walnut is that?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 8.20.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 8.20.58 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 8.20.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 8.20.59 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
Interesting perspectives on the Silvers pad. When my Westley Richards was still in the design phase and while being fitted at the factory, i was able to look at different styles of doing the stock pad. In the end I chose the traditional Red Silvers. For my tastes, on a English gun, it just looks right to my eye. I also wanted a thin pad, as the recoil on a 375 is not bad at all. Really just something to protect the butt of the stock and is very durable.

087EA231-6668-4C24-96D3-F868A1EDB70A.jpeg

I thought about using a fine leather covered pad But they just do not seem to hold up well over time in my experience. The black soft pads just do not do anything for me. In the end, to each his own and everyone has different tastes. None of them are wrong, just some pads are better than others when it comes to the application that they will be used for.

JP

Last edited:
Interesting perspectives on the Silvers pad. When my Westley Richards was still in the design phase and while being fitted at the factory, i was able to look at different styles of doing the stock pad. In the end I chose the traditional Red Silvers. For my tastes, on a English gun, it just looks right to my eye. I also wanted a thin pad, as the recoil on a 375 is not bad at all. Really just something to protect the butt of the stock and is very durable.

View attachment 473792

I thought about using a fine leather covered pad But they just do not seem to hold up well over time in my experience. The black soft pads just do not do anything for me. In the end, to each his own and everyone has different tastes. None of them are wrong, just some pads are better than others when it comes to the application that they will be used for.

JP

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle. That grain looks deep enough to crawl inside.

The thing about the Silvers pad is they fit the English rifles much better due to the red hugh(sp?) of the stock.

View attachment 473792

JP

The Silvers pads definitely match the English guns better due to the contrasting reds of the pad and alkanet infused oil finish.

That grain looks deep enough to crawl into. Gorgeous rifle. Congratulations.

Beautiful WR!
I used to like the status symbol Red .. depends on the build, taste, fit & preference.
It could compliment it, or to the contrary, draw your eye directly to it taking away from the aesthetics of the gun.

Like home decor, if everything's neutral & there's one item of color, your eye directly goes to that particular color ..
Essencia-Full-Gun (1).png
Foto-8.jpg
new 577.jpg
jeffery.jpg
IMG_3971.jpg
stock.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:
they tend to stand out more when reinstalled on a worn refurbished rifle ,,that Westley looks good as it gets

I finally seem a Rigby Big Game.
I love it for what it is. I'm sure it's beyond expectations, well-engineered, function in the field, etc.
In a hunt, aesthetics are the least concerns .. but it's kind of boring.
Get overly tired & start typing when I should be last to speak ..

Last edited:
I get overly tired and swamp threads when I really should be last to speak.

I finally did see a Rigby Big Game. I appreciate it for what it is .. I'm sure it's beyond expectations, well-engineered, function in the field. In a DG situation, aesthetics are the last thing you care about ..

But, "It's kind of Boring, Lacks Luster, imo"
I really like mine so maybe I am a bit boring and lack luster (except for my big, bald, shiny, head). :LOL: For me, I have to hunt with a gun before it really gains "life". On our last trip to Africa, I carried it almost 200 miles in the Bushveld (we were there a month) and killed 9 beautiful trophies to include a buffalo. I think I understand what you mean with the "....boring, lacks luster..." comment. My Rigby Big Game was just a lovely tool until I brought it to life on a hunt.

What rifle do you currently own that makes your heart beat a bit faster and puts a warm smile on your face?

Safe shooting!

I really like mine so maybe I am a bit boring and lack luster (except for my big, bald, shiny, head). :LOL: For me, I have to hunt with a gun before it really gains "life". On our last trip to Africa, I carried it almost 200 miles in the Bushveld (we were there a month) and killed 9 beautiful trophies to include a buffalo. I think I understand what you mean with the "....boring, lacks luster..." comment. My Rigby Big Game was just a lovely tool until I brought it to life on a hunt.

What rifle do you currently own that makes your heart beat a bit faster and puts a warm smile on your face?

Safe shooting!

The personal collection "all add a pulse" to some degree. VC aesthetically ..
I'm really last to speak on behalf on Rigby..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!