Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
LIFE NRA SCI
Hunted
USA CANADA
Hello everyone,

I discovered this site and have enjoyed reading many of the interesting posts.So much in fact I am ready to take the plunge and hunt Africa.

I am looking at August 2015.I will be joined by my family which consists of my wife , daughter who will be 12 and my son who will be 8.I hope to have my son take at least one animal.He has accompanied me on deer hunts with great enthusiasm.I have been shooting with him and working on his marksmanship.He is a very good shot with a .22 and I think I can have him shooting a small caliber centerfire by then.

The girls are not hunters but are excited about game viewing and spending time in Africa.They also like the spa/shopping thing.So activities outside hunting will be important as well.

The hunting will be important but I would also like to provide my family with a memorable experience.

Any advice would be most welcome and I look forward to joining in the fellowship this community provides.

Best regards,
Shoedog

Welcome Shoedog! You and your family are in for a real adventure.
Have you narrowed down to where you are thinking of taking the trip? South Africa/Namibia ect? You have numerous operators on the site that offer excellent hunting and accommodations for the whole family. Toss in a few site seeing trips and you'll always have permission to come back again and again:D

Welcome to AH Shoedog!

You're at the right place, on the right forum and with the right hunting community friends that will absolutely guide you through this whole hunting dream and to help it being a reality for you and your precious family.

Good luck S.

regards,
Loodt

Welcome to AH SHOEDOG! Glad you found us and decided to join. Lots of very helpful members here, enjoy the site and take your time to find the right fit for you and your family.

Welcome Shoedog!!!

If you decide on SA make sure you talk to Loodt from Tootabi (post above). I'm booked with him for May of 2015 and ended up choosing him in large part because of his attention to the non-hunters in my family. He's paid as much attention to them as he has to me, which should greatly improve my chances of going back! :)

The other advice is read everything you can, ask questions, read some more, and then ask some more questions!!! This is a GREAT place for all of that!! In my experience if you do this it will all come together. You're also doing the right thing by beginning to plan now. None of this is rocket science, but there is a lot to learn!

Hello everyone,

I discovered this site and have enjoyed reading many of the interesting posts. So much in fact I am ready to take the plunge and hunt Africa...........

Any advice would be most welcome and I look forward to joining in the fellowship this community provides.

AH tends to have that effect on people.

Congratulations, you'll find some great opportunities here. If you can't find it ask.

Welcome!

Welcome to AH, SHOEDOG!

I would like to go to a malaria free region.SA seems to have a lot going for it.I am going to ask about malaria over in the Hunting Africa area.

I would like to go to a malaria free region.SA seems to have a lot going for it.I am going to ask about malaria over in the Hunting Africa area.

Do a search for Malaria and you will find some other threads on the subject.

Search function is in the top right corner of the page.

Howdy Shoedog - welcome to AH!

I am in the same boat as you. Looking forward to my first African hunt, and absolutely wanting the family to enjoy it as much as I know I will.

There are a bunch of really well-regarded outfits here on AH. More than a few make a definite point to cater to the non-hunting guests....this is a good business plan in my estimation!

My best chance of making a second trip with family is to have the first trip MAKE them want to go back.

Like Royal27 above, I have decided to place my first safari chips with Loodt at Tootabi (June 2015).

Loodt is working very hard to establish a sustainable, quality business and his attention to and feel for the client needs is first rate. A bright, personable fellow who is going to do well in this business, I am certain (he spent over an hour on the phone with me today...finally signing off at about 10pm RSA time!).

I think conventional wisdom says figure out what you want to hunt, then choose a province that has the best hunting for your chosen species...but with the family being a high priority, you might want to focus on the most family friendly outfits and then let the hunting follow that?

Fortunately you have lots of folks here who are happy to help you with your research. I have even seen outfitters here recommend other outfitters to folks looking for suggestions.

Have fun and let us know if you have any specific questions.

Tim Arbeiter
Houston, TX

I think conventional wisdom says figure out what you want to hunt, then choose a province that has the best hunting for your chosen species...

Figure out what you want to hunt. That's funny, how do you do that?????
:tongue:

In all seriousness, this is good advice and also why Africa is so addictive. The choices still blow my mind. I'm planning on 10+ animals with Loodt and still won't have all of my "must haves." And that will be after the buff and hippo this year....

Figure out what you want to hunt. That's funny, how do you do that?????
:tongue:

In all seriousness, this is good advice and also why Africa is so addictive. The choices still blow my mind. I'm planning on 10+ animals with Loodt and still won't have all of my "must haves." And that will be after the buff and hippo this year....

Remember the old "joke" about the new tax form? It had one question and one statement:

1. How much did you make?
2. Send it in!

Likewise, I decided what to hunt by asking one question: What do you have? :D

Like you, I am hoping to maximize my exposure to the available species. With the high fixed cost of just getting over to Africa, I am not going to be bashful once I get there!

Tim

Welcome to AH Shoedog,

Something to add here, if the task of booking a hunt gets too over-whelming, you may want to look into a outfitter who has a US booking agent. This costs you nothing extra, you take care of all the logistics, deposits, could be airfare, site seeing anything imaginable with them. Plus you have some recourse IF something should go wrong. I have booked several hunts on my own, but I have also used a few agents (it is comforting).

Africa you will never regret.

"A dream can be relived, again and again in Africa".

Welcome to the site ! You will definately find what you are looking for on this forum ! Start counting the days !!!

Happy hunting !!!

Welcome to AH I can only echo what Richard had said above, also hope that you'll enjoy some of the interesting posts... Doc 404 has some Funny ones quite often.
My best always

Welcome to the site,you are at the right place to do your research and make an informed decision.

Hi Shoedog,
Welcome to Africahunting.com, sir. Hope you enjoy your time here with all these Africa-addicts!

I have sent you a Personal Mail.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome to AH. Im sure you will have a great time and as far as your boy goes, if you can get him shooting a .243 he will certainly have opportunity on quite a few different animals.

Welcome to AH.

Malaria free area would be a great family trip.

ON AH we have some PH's that will be able to offer such a package. :)

I would suggest that you visit Barns & Nobel and go to there travel section and purchase a 2014 edition of South Africa and another of Namibia tour guide (I like the BK better than Frommer, however I have both) and compare the 2 countries for activities. Look at the different offerings of things to do from both areas. Get your wife and children involved. Pick a area then start looking for a outfitter- PH to hunt with.

Ask about side trips for the women... they have parks, shopping and many other things to look at.

Welcome to AH, Shoedog !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg