New .275 Rigby

An exquisite product of the gunmaker's art in a chambering I greatly admire! Who would not be proud to own and hunt it?
Red Leg, you mentioned it loving a fast 170 bullet. What is the velocity?

Stunning Rifle RedLeg! Glad the long wait is over and you have it in your hands. Congratulations,
Cody

An exquisite product of the gunmaker's art in a chambering I greatly admire! Who would not be proud to own and hunt it?
Red Leg, you mentioned it loving a fast 170 bullet. What is the velocity?
OK, so fairly fast by 7mm mauser standards (y). We have this one running well north of 2700. Norma loads their 170 gr Oryx in the 7mm magnum at around 2850. They have a 156gr factory load for the 7mm mauser. The 2700-2800 loading in 170 gr is fairly popular for the 7x57 in Europe where liability issues with ancient military mausers are not much of a concern. With a 2-inch high zero, I should have true point blank ability to 250 and a bit. We also loaded these rounds with .275 stamped brass to prevent any issues abroad.

Wow, very nice sir. Gorgeous stock and I'm sure it shoots like a dream.

OK, so fairly fast by 7mm mauser standards (y). We have this one running well north of 2700. Norma loads their 170 gr Oryx in the 7mm magnum at around 2850. They have a 156gr factory load for the 7mm mauser. The 2700-2800 loading in 170 gr is fairly popular for the 7x57 in Europe where liability issues with ancient military mausers are not much of a concern. With a 2-inch high zero, I should have true point blank ability to 250 and a bit. We also loaded these rounds with .275 stamped brass to prevent any issues abroad.
I lied - right at 2600 - we were getting 156 north of 2700.

Hendershot's Extreme ammo is good stuff. I have them load Swift A-Frames for my 338 WM and 375 Ruger. However, if you wanted to try some lower cost factory ammo, in the 7x57 version, not the 275, the Hornady Superformance with the 139 gr SST bullet has been a real winner in various calibers for me. Both my daughter and I had numerous one shot kills on PG and I used the SST in my 270 when I took my Dall last year. I know your said your tried the 140 gr Interlock and had bad results, but the SST may give you better results.

Nice rifle Red, gorgeous. I too love the round, have a few myself. Just got one of the new Ruger No.1's with .275 Rigby on the barrel, good shooter too. I about choked on my coffee a minute ago when I saw your "well north of 2700 with the 170"! I thought good way to wear out 9K pretty quick! Then I saw your correction. At that 2600 is zipping right along for a 170 gr. in a 7x57.

Beautiful rifle RL. Looking forward to hearing how it works come deer season, or before!

Congrats, it´s a beauty !

Bonito !

2600 is pretty fast for a 170 gr. I usually load my 154's about that speed.

Lovely! Now what's the plan to use it on?(y)

One beautiful stock on that rifle.

Congrats Red Leg. She's a thing of beauty. And seems to shoot as good as she looks. Enjoy!

R.

I was loading my 7x57 on a 1908 DWM and 25in barrel with a 160gn Woodleigh at 2700fps over H4350and it was a superb load.

Red Leg
Congratulations on your "investment". Happy straight shooting...and many hours of creating memories to cherish for a lifetime.
Kowas Hunting Safaris team

Congratulations sir, a fine fine piece of working art!

Edge

For the better part of four years I was aware that Rigby was going to follow their new big game rifle with a smaller stalking rifle using the Corbett .275 as a basis for the design. Lance Hendershot owner of Hendershot's Sporting Goods in Hagerstown, MD https://hendershots.net/ is a Rigby distributer, and while the "Highland Stalker" was still an experimental project, I had a deposit in for perhaps the first .275 to reach the US. Two weeks ago it arrived. I initially tried the 140 gr Hornady Interlock which the rifle did not love (those of you following another thread on this site will understand that I was not unduly upset). A few days ago, Lance forwarded a couple of boxes of Hendershot's Extreme Ammo loaded with the 170 gr Oryx - a bullet which I truly worship. The rifle and the results are shown below.

Is the rifle worth a nearly 9k price tag. Hell, I don't know. But it is an exquisite creation in hand and it shoots one of the best 7mm bullets on the planet. I am thrilled. And, it is, after all, a RIGBY!

full

full

Beautiful rifle sir.
Just curious, are you planning on using a leather thong type sling connection? I had noticed that the sling attachment eyes are larger than typical. Personally, never have seen that before.

Beautiful rifle sir.
Just curious, are you planning on using a leather thong type sling connection? I had noticed that the sling attachment eyes are larger than typical. Personally, never have seen that before.
The eyes are traditional English style. Standard Uncle Mikes and ilk fit just fine. I don't care for the leather attachment or the old style hooks so didn't get one of their slings. Besides, I have been using Trader Keith's canvas slings forever and don't plan to change. http://traderkeith.com/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg