Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA, Namibia, Ontario, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, USA
Plains Game Hunting with Khomas Highlands Hunting Safaris
May 2016

Looking to return to the country where we began our African hunting adventures, my brother and I considered many outfitters in Namibia before selecting Professional Hunter Philip Henning and Khomas Highlands Hunting Safaris. After reviewing his web site and Facebook page, the final decision was made after an early Sunday morning Skype session. After only a few minutes of conversation, we knew Philip would offer us an excellent hunt.

Arriving in Windhoek, we finally got to physically meet Philip. With his red hair and sleeveless shirt, he was easy to identify in the airport. After initial greetings, we headed to his rig to begin our hunting excursion. We soon found our gear being loaded in the truck with assistance from his tracker Hendrik. In a hushed whisper, I told my brother I think we had made an excellent decision in hunting with Philip. The next eight days only served to reinforce our initial perceptions even more.

Phillip.jpg

Knowing we had hunted in Africa before, I’m sure Philip was a little apprehensive about our expectations. If so, it never showed. Throughout our hunt, Philip met our desires as we did game drives and numerous stalks. For those who like to put boots on the sand in chase of free range game, Khomas Highlands would be an excellent choice.

For our hunt, Philip had us hunting two different locations. The first several days, we searched for a mature eland bull in the mountains and savannah east of Windhoek at Okambara, the Elephant Lodge. While we saw plenty of game, including elephants, zebra and giraffe, the only eland we spotted were females or young bulls. After harvesting a gold medal springbok, we decided to head west to Philip’s Farm Heusis to hunt the other animals on our list. If time permitted, we’d return to Okambara to continue our quest for the eland.

Springbok.jpg

The first evening at Farm Heusis, we made an excellent stalk on a mature black wildebeest. The next morning we successfully hunted the mountains for a Hartman zebra stallion. Anyone wanting an exhilarating hunt should pursue these stripped racehorses in the mountains of the Khomas Highlands. Later that afternoon, we made another successful stalk on red hartebeest.

Mountain-Zebra.jpg

Not only do the mountains of Khomas Highlands hold plenty of zebra and other game but it also has some of the largest kudu we’ve ever seen. Passing over the many mountains and valleys, we saw numerous kudu bulls and cows. With a shot from a ridgeline to the valley floor, a beautiful kudu was put in the salt. A management gemsbok and black wildebeest finished out our third day at Farm Heusis.

Kudu.jpg

With hard hunting, we had managed to take six animals in three days. Except for the management gemsbok, all met the SCI gold medal standard. Stalks ranged from a few hundred meters to several kilometers. Shooting distances were from 100 meters to 300 meters with an average of around 200 meters.

With several days remaining before heading back to the States, we returned to Okambara in search of our elusive eland bull. It seemed each time we hunted, we were getting closer and closer to finding him. With seeing so many females, it was only a matter of time until a bull was located. On our last full day of hunting, we found him. After a stalk that had us in the middle of the herd at times, we finally caught up to a mature eland bull. A well placed shot to the front shoulder found our list complete.

A-eland-side.jpg

Whether a first-time Africa hunter or a seasoned veteran, Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris offers an excellent African experience. We found the terrain, game, Philip and his staff to be first rate. We look forward to returning again.

Erics-Hartebeest.jpg

Erics-Wildebeest-2-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH and congrats on your hunt!

Good to have you here on AH. Looks like some very nice animals. Congrats on a great hunt. Bruce

Welcome to the site. Looks like a great safari. Boots on the ground on tracks is the best most rewarding way to hunt. if you are like me you have been planning on How do I get back since sitting at the departure lounge(y)

Nice report, thanks for sharing and welcome to AH.

Congratulations on a fantastic Namibian hunt and also a great report. This is exactly how the Khomas Hochland treat hunters!

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us! :D Beers: And welcome to AH:S Welcome:

Congrats for a great hunt, and welcome to AH !

Congratulations on your hunt. I hunted Namibia last year and absolutely loved it there. Amazing how difficult eland can be, I too hunted very hard for mine.

Eric, welcome to AH. Thank you for posting the report and photos. Ihope to hunt Namibia in the future.
Regards,
Mike

Welcome to AH sir. Looks like you had a very nice hunt!

Perhaps you can share pictures and a report from your previous hunt as well.

Eric, welcome to AH. Thank you for posting the report and photos. Ihope to hunt Namibia in the future.
Regards,
Mike
Go for it! I personally loved Namibia and the hunting is quite different than hunting in South Africa.

Hello Austin,
Eric and his brother Craig have a blog on which they share their hunting adventures. have a look on www.broadtopbushmen.com the password is Magnum

CAustin,

As Philip has noted, my brother and I have been keeping a web site of our hunting escapades the past couple of years so our parents know we are safe and having a good time. At 84 (dad) and 80 (mom), they appreciate being able to follow our hunting adventures each day. Our dad gets to hear about the hunt each day and see pictures of what we've taken. Our mom enjoys some of the cultural stories we write along with the pictures. For instance, we always try visit a school or orphanage to donate educational supplies. Of course some of our friends view as well.

Feel free to have a look

Regards,
Mike

Mike,

Looks like we've hunted some of the same areas. I'd strongly recommend hunting in Namibia. It's a beautiful place with great people. You'd certainly not go wrong hunting with Philip at Khomas Highlands. My brother and I rank it as our best African hunt yet.

CAustin,

As Philip has noted, my brother and I have been keeping a web site of our hunting escapades the past couple of years so our parents know we are safe and having a good time. At 84 (dad) and 80 (mom), they appreciate being able to follow our hunting adventures each day. Our dad gets to hear about the hunt each day and see pictures of what we've taken. Our mom enjoys some of the cultural stories we write along with the pictures. For instance, we always try visit a school or orphanage to donate educational supplies. Of course some of our friends view as well.

Feel free to have a look
Thank you Eric!

Thanks for the hunt report, that eland is very nice, dream trophy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg