NAMIBIA: Has Anyone Hunted With Jan Oelofse Safaris?

Bearbait1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I did a search on here and info about this outfit is scarce. Has anyone hunted with them?
Thanks, Dale

Yes I have hunted there, and know them well.

Would hunt there again anytime.

Not hunted with but they have been around forever with a good reputation..I think the old fellow that started it was involved with the movie "Hatari"

Not hunted with but they have been around forever with a good reputation..I think the old fellow that started it was involved with the movie "Hatari"

Yes they've been around a long time. And yes Jan Oelofse was involved with Hatari and game capturing. Quite a legend in reality. Jan passed away in the last few years, but his son continues on with the business. I've not hunted with them, but from what I understand they still have a very good reputation.

It’s been a lot of years but I hunted with them in 2002 and 2004, had very enjoyable hunts. They own a very large fenced main ranch then had access to a lot of low fence cattle ranches nearby. We would hunt kudu, gemsbok, Hartebeest on the cattle ranches then most everything else on their property. I took my largest kudu while there just over 58” during the rut in early June. Doesn’t appear anything has changed since I hunted there still same family and PHs, rabies may have had a significant impact on the kudu though in that area.

They have a website

I am stealing this thread a little, but a year or so before Jan died, Nick Nolte, Isabel, Nancy and I attended a game auction at his ranch. We had a delightful hour or so with him as he regaled us with stories, particularly from "Hatari". The funniest, at least as he told it, was the bath scene where the cheetah, Sonja, walks in on Elsa Martinneli who is in the bath. After several attempts to get Sonja to cooperate with her Italian co-star, Jan finally had to lie down behind the tub. He said he had more trouble maintaining focus than the cat.

These are great folks with a sterling reputation.

I hunted Namibia with @Jamy Traut Hunting Safaris, but looked at Oelofse and researched them. All the references I talked to had nothing but good to say about them. the only reason I hunted with Jamy was that I had considered him for my first safari which centered on buffalo.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is also the location where the document was signed that allowed for Namibia to separate from South Africa. We spent a night there and did a game drive on our last two days in Namibia in 2014. Great facilities. The cake they served for tea was really good!

This is also the location where the document was signed that allowed for Namibia to separate from South Africa. We spent a night there and did a game drive on our last two days in Namibia in 2014. Great facilities. The cake they served for tea was really good!

Yes, not many know this. I was lucky enough to do some hunting there last year. A very well set up organisation. Jan's wife Annette runs the place. I found Annette her family and all staff to be knowledgeable, friendly and very helpful. The rooms and food are to great. this was at the hunters accommodation. the two families from the US that were hunting there while I was there were very happy with them. Annette is a driving force in Rhino conservation. They have also moved a few elephants to the Congo. Trial to see if they stay there before moving more if funds are available.

I haven't hunted with them yet, but my wife, daughter and I are going this summer. It will be our 1st trip to africa....hunting with the Oelofse 's, then exploring Namibia on our own for 2 weeks :)

Didn't Hardy Krueger own the place at one time

I hunted there in 2015 with wife and daughter, then toured from there in rental truck. Awesome place, great time - lots of rhinos.

One of the hunting trucks they use. Built in Namibia, some on Toyota Landcruiser running gear others on Landrover running gear.

Some of the accommodation.

A friendly Rhino

The pool and upstairs bar area
P6180245.JPG
P6180259.JPG
P6190284.JPG
P6180264.JPG
P6180269.JPG

The resident Jumbo at one of his watering holes

They are very well known. Keep in mind the drought has been terrible in Namibia and the game has suffered. I’d get references who hunted within the last year to learn more about the situation there.

You may hunt with Jan Oelofse Safaris at any time with confidence. Their Lodge, and separate Hunting Lodge, is beautiful with superb cuisine and attention. Especially at the Hunting Lodge.
Alex and Anette are superb hosts, and Chris Torr and his fellow guides, are excellent trackers and guides. Apart from the usual plains game, you may be surprised when on foot by elephants, rhinos and maybe a lion or two. Makes for a so much livelier experience to remember.
I have taken Sable, Nyala and Roan on Mount Etjo, and just love to spend some time every now and then on the farm.

Also lots to see and do for non-hunters/wifes etc. Be sure to take some small gifts (school stationary) for the kids in the school they run for the community.

I have hunted there. 2 years ago. Neat country- great game viewing. Food was ok, and some of the fenced areas seemed a bit small. Also, at the time there was no fire in the eve to sit around and chat- lodge life was tolerable but didn't add to the experience. I had fun but wouldn't go back.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg