IMG_2107.JPG
IMG_2108.JPG
IMG_2110.JPG
IMG_2112.JPG
IMG_2114.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG
IMG_2121.JPG
IMG_2124.JPG

Alright i bought this mauser cheap of a guy who didnt seem to care about it and just wanted to get rid of it. Mounted a classic 8x56 zeiss scope with it and a buhler style side safety (still have the parts for the original flag safety). Its chambered for a old school german cartridge 6,5x68s. I have about 100 unloaded brasa and the Loading tools for her to begin load development. Just want to know if someone can tell me something about it.

I can tell you it's definitely not German; Germany outsourced and subcontracted with many different countries. That being said, those that were made in Germany were specifically marked as such. I've got a 98 marked Berlin as a reference for place of manufacturing.

Let us know how it shoots!

Its marked obendorf so im pretty sure its a german action atleast.

One thing for sure, you have a beautiful old rifle. It has a Mauser action for sure and if it shoots as good as it looks you are a lucky man. I have lots of 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mausers and would love to own a 6.5 x 68.

The 6.5x68, if loaded by Remington of Winchester, would the moniker of magnum attached to it. It's a stellar performer with the right bullet. I'd love to play with that cartridge.

Went to the gunshop today and got n160 and 100 grain nosler ballistic tips that im gonna try out at first. Gonna buy some 120 grain bullets later on to try but im guessing since its an old rifle it wont stabilize heavy 6,5mm bullets.

The mystery part though is what does the engraving on the barrel and the floor plate say ^^.

It seems the gun was a trophy of a hunters shooting competition, donated by a gun Shop in city in Landstuhl.

I know exactly what that is because I recently sold an identical one. It's a post WWW1 oberndorf commercial sporter. It's difference to the prewar oberndorfs and the military actions in that this was made for the purpose of sporters but not to the tight pre war tolerances nor yo the same steel, finish and bluing quality. Pre war, and military actions were stamped waffenfabrik oberndorf, whereas these are marked in italic mauserwerke oberndorf.

They were made in a variety of calibres from 243 through 6.5's and bigger. They came typically with military bottom metal and double set triggers that were a bit rough. The stock was made of low grade walnut, had a Bavarian comb and pancake cheek piece, plastic buttplate with white line spacer - as is grip cap. Grip is narrow and finger sits very (too) close IMHO to the trigger guard. Front end was either rounded or schnabel. Barrel was typically light sporter profile with simple leaf rear sight and block ramp front sight. These usually came with sling studs feather than barrel bands.

These were/are good rifles of very good build. The actions are very good, not pre war oberndorf or DWM 1909 tolerances, but very very good. They were Aldo drilled and tapped from the factory do usually mount bases without cant.

An action and rifle to shoot and enjoy, and one worth rebarreling, but not worth using for a +$5000 custom project. I'd value it around $750. Is that a leftie m98 on the sofa behind?

The original bullet weight for the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser was 160 Gr. That was back in 1896. The Swede hade a twist rate of 1 in 7.8". I have no idea what the twist rate of your Mauser is.

Italic as in made in italy or is it made in germany cause it seems german in origin atleast due to all the surrounding info. I got it for quite alot less then 750 so im pleased. No its a left hand anschutz 22lr :).

I need to check the twist rate of the barrel but the gunsmith i know thats quite into mausers talked about them often being made to shoot lighter bullets.

Italic as in the font :) As in letters slanting right! LOL

It's definitely German, it's from Mauserwerke oberndorf.

Twist you can check in about 1 minute Flat using your cleaning rod and a bit of tape, that will tell you what bullet weight can stabilise.
Easy peasy

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG
IMG_2394.JPG

She still shoots mighty fine. Those shots are after dialing in the sight so i was starting to be a bit sore from shooting it in the bench. Gonna go shoot a real grouping with a proper back and front rest. She seems to like the RWS 127 grains KS.

Good looking rifle. Just keep an eye on that front sling swivel. If the solder goes, the rifle will fall off your shoulder and probably land on the scope. That being said, it has a nice long base so it might be good forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber