My next "if I had the money" rifle purchase...

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen sold me on the "need" to have a 35 Whelen, so my gunsmith and I are putting one together. Nothing fancy but it should be fairly cool.

I have dropped off a wood blank at Reto Buehler's place to save my spot in line for a custom built single shot rifle on a Hagn Action. Yesterday I was thinking a 280AI, today I'm back to thinking a 270 Winchester with a 1:8.5 twist and a 26 inch barrel, throated a little long to seat a heavier bullet out a touch longer than would be possible in a box fed gun. I might have a little fancy stuff inlaid or engraved on it for fun. That's today's thoughts... tomorrow it could change.
@ Hunting Gold
It was your choice to go with the Whelen, I just opened tour eyes to its full potential.
I personally like the 280AI but the fast twist 270 long throated might be a go to loaded with woodleigh 180grain PPSP. May be the 270 Weatherby with a fast twist 28 inch long throated.
Bob

Screenshot_20210303-182004_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have the, "If I had the money" dreams. Not so much anymore. I think I have had most all the rifles of my dreams and as it turns out, the ones I still really like and admire and shoot are not eye candy nor are they the really high end expensive ones. I sold them, no regrets, no withdrawal. I spent the time, effort and money to find them. I admired, enjoyed and studied them. Loaded for and shot most all of them and hunted with some of them. Some were true collector grade arms, some historically important and some were just really nice custom guns.

Save for one custom "working" gun that I helped build, (pays to have a friend who is a gunsmith with a shop and all the tools) all my current "dream guns" are simply just tweaked factory rifles. Total cost of the "custom" rifle was about $2200. The other three basic factory rifles averaged about $1000 ea.

There are a couple of barely used H&H doubles, one a 500/465 NE and the other a 375 Flanged NE at a local dealer. Either would do I think

An aquaintance of mine has this Holland & Holland Royal in .600NE, with Maharaja history, made 1921....now that would be something...

Hey guys,

Stuck at home watching the kids today so I'm bored! So I was googling what firearms I'd buy if I had the money (I don't) and here's what I've come up with...

1.) Winchester M70 in .416 Remington Magnum.
I'm a staunch .458WM guy, but I really like the .416 Remington Magnum too.
And I love M70's so if I had the coin this would be the no.1 rifle I'd buy.
I'd then get a 'smith to fit an ebony tip to the fore-end, sling swivel to the barrel, a good bedding job then that's it! Almost perfection...

2.) Ruger Alaskan .416 Ruger.
Something about this rifle does it for me.
The short barrel with the Hogue stock look just right in my eyes and it would be a handy little heavy-hitter.
I really like the the .416 Ruger cartridge too. I'm not sure how popular it is or how available ammo is, but it looks like an efficient round. Powerful too.

3.) Lee Speed .303 British
I've always loved the .303 British cartridge and I think that the Lee Speed is one of the most elegant rifles I've ever seen. The odds of getting an original are probably pretty slim nowadays, so I'd love to build up a modern version. I'd keep the elegant lines and I'd find a nice piece of timber and go the whole hog on it. And it wouldn't just be a showpiece - I'd use it for deer hunting as it's on my bucket list to bag a deer with a .303 British.

So there you go guys, thats my top 3...

What are yours?

Russ
id get a bespoke custom made rigby in 505 gibbs

H&H royal in .600ne for me please !
@Ike85123
I looked at one in the Holland and Holland shop in London. Very Nice and they will do it in any caliber you want for the same price. They will been fly you back to London for the final fitting and again to present it to you. That's the type of service a rifle worth £ 260,000 will get you.
Bob

@Ike85123
I looked at one in the Holland and Holland shop in London. Very Nice and they will do it in any caliber you want for the same price. They will been fly you back to London for the final fitting and again to present it to you. That's the type of service a rifle worth £ 260,000 will get you.
Bob
I would be on the next plane if I had that kind of money to spend on a stick like that !
I have a heym in 500ne. Took me alot of years to save for it. I could probably have 25 of them for the price of the h&h. Haha

I would be on the next plane if I had that kind of money to spend on a stick like that !
I have a heym in 500ne. Took me alot of years to save for it. I could probably have 25 of them for the price of the h&h. Haha
@Ike85123
Mate If'n I had that kind of money I would stick with my Whelen and do a shit load more hunting instead the £259,500 I would save would get me one he'll of a lot of hunting anywhere in the world.
Bob

@Ike85123
Mate If'n I had that kind of money I would stick with my Whelen and do a shit load more hunting instead the £259,500 I would save would get me one he'll of a lot of hunting anywhere in the world.
Bob
I totally agree. I can think of alot of things I would spend the money for first !
The people that can afford 1 of those rifles can probably afford 10 or a room full. Lol

Hey guys,

Stuck at home watching the kids today so I'm bored! So I was googling what firearms I'd buy if I had the money (I don't) and here's what I've come up with...

1.) Winchester M70 in .416 Remington Magnum.
I'm a staunch .458WM guy, but I really like the .416 Remington Magnum too.
And I love M70's so if I had the coin this would be the no.1 rifle I'd buy.
I'd then get a 'smith to fit an ebony tip to the fore-end, sling swivel to the barrel, a good bedding job then that's it! Almost perfection...

2.) Ruger Alaskan .416 Ruger.
Something about this rifle does it for me.
The short barrel with the Hogue stock look just right in my eyes and it would be a handy little heavy-hitter.
I really like the the .416 Ruger cartridge too. I'm not sure how popular it is or how available ammo is, but it looks like an efficient round. Powerful too.

3.) Lee Speed .303 British
I've always loved the .303 British cartridge and I think that the Lee Speed is one of the most elegant rifles I've ever seen. The odds of getting an original are probably pretty slim nowadays, so I'd love to build up a modern version. I'd keep the elegant lines and I'd find a nice piece of timber and go the whole hog on it. And it wouldn't just be a showpiece - I'd use it for deer hunting as it's on my bucket list to bag a deer with a .303 British.

So there you go guys, thats my top 3...

What are yours?

Russ
The .416 Ruger has never caught the wind in its sales (sails), like the .375. Factory ammo is Hornady with one weight, or Boutique shops only. The 23" African version has to be revved to max to match the Rigby, and the 20" will leave you well shy. At least the way I've read it. That said, I want one as well to go with my .375.

My "iffins I had the money" rifle, is a Weatherby Accumark in .338-378.

303 404 505 all I need - just sold my double as have all I need for hunting rifles ! first 2 by Parker Hale third by CZ custom ;-)

Tarbe mentioned "I am just one gun away from being happy".

Actually, I am just one gun past being happy (have one DR to many) , but I will manage somehow.

Actual truth- I have no need or "wants" for another rifle, shotgun, or hand gun. I have become proficient with all my present guns and have No time to shoot the ones that I have now. What I need and want is more time to hunt with the ones that I have. We are winding down my company and hope that frees up some useable time before year end.

I'm actually pretty content with my arsenal. Given that I hunt in messy conditions I'd hate to use a pretty rifle.

But IF I had unlimited money here are a few more dreams.

1. A custom Kimber rifle in 375 Raptor or 358 Winchester. The barrel would be 16 inches and as light as possible. I'd have QD scopes set up, probably a 2-7 and a 1-4 Leopold. The stock would be an ultralight MPI fiberglass. Rifle weight could be under 4 pounds more like 5 to 5.5 scoped. This would be the ultimate "carry " rifle for hikes or hunts were shots would be shorter.

2. Ultralight 300 WSM with iron sites and a QD 2-10 scope. I'd probably throw in a QD 1-4 for bears. This one rifle would do pretty much anything in Alaska although I'd probably still grab the 375 Ruger for big bears.

3. Just for fun I'd love to try building a Mannlicher style carbine with really nice iron sites. I probably wouldn't use it a lot but it would be fun.

4. To get even crazier I think a custom ultralight SBR bolt gun could be fun. I'd build a takedown stock and probably throw a silencer on it.

@Ike85123
Bob
I’m with you Bob! I would take an extended vacation and a 3 month Safari to Africa then on to the Pamirs for a Marco Polo ram then NZ for the roar!

Double rifle basqule and 3 barrel sets , 8x65RS double barrel , .470NE and 12 bore 3 inch shotgun. Claw mount for the rifle sets. If one were to make a third barrel set either 12/8x65RS ,or 470 with 12 3 inch on the side,claw mount scope.

What in tarnation is on the end of that barrel?!?! Guess its true what they say about beauty being in the eye of the beholder....
It's a new fang dangled. The latest Fad they all have one cept You an Me.

It's to take the focus off the man bun.

A .35 Whelen!

No seriously I would like a traditional Blued Walnut hunting rifle, something real nice in a classic chambering.

I am only one gun away from making my life complete, and I just need a few more things. It's only money.

I grew up wanting a Rem 700 Sendero in .300wm for some reason. I think it's because they make them.

I'm half satisfied with my selection of rifles and don't use them enough now. But if get a rogue Elephant rampaging in my street I've got it cover

I like my Tikkas but they have their limitations on magazine length limiting Case overall length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg