My next "if I had the money" rifle purchase...

Russ,
I have 2 of the rifles on your wishlist.
A M70 Classic Safari 416 Remington, that I bought shortly prior to the New Haven plant closings it’s doors. I have yet to fire this one. I have had other ones similar to it.
The Ruger Alaskan in 416 Ruger, is certainly one of my most favorite rifles. And the 375 & 416 Ruger cartridges are certainly are 2 of my favorite cartridges.
The Ruger Alaskan’s, I did replace the Hogue stock with fiberglass types. I did not care for the forend width. The rifles shot Very well with the factory stocks in place.

I think, my present wishlist consist of Browning Hi Power Safari Grade rifles. With the long extractor and no salt-wood. I have been attracted to them for decades.
And no longer produced Ruger Express Rifles, in the non-Safari cartridges.
And Winchester M70 factory Custom Shop rifles.
Those are about as fancy as I desire. Otherwise it is synthetic and stainless for me.

Hey guys,

Stuck at home watching the kids today so I'm bored! So I was googling what firearms I'd buy if I had the money (I don't) and here's what I've come up with...

1.) Winchester M70 in .416 Remington Magnum.
I'm a staunch .458WM guy, but I really like the .416 Remington Magnum too.
And I love M70's so if I had the coin this would be the no.1 rifle I'd buy.
I'd then get a 'smith to fit an ebony tip to the fore-end, sling swivel to the barrel, a good bedding job then that's it! Almost perfection...

2.) Ruger Alaskan .416 Ruger.
Something about this rifle does it for me.
The short barrel with the Hogue stock look just right in my eyes and it would be a handy little heavy-hitter.
I really like the the .416 Ruger cartridge too. I'm not sure how popular it is or how available ammo is, but it looks like an efficient round. Powerful too.

3.) Lee Speed .303 British
I've always loved the .303 British cartridge and I think that the Lee Speed is one of the most elegant rifles I've ever seen. The odds of getting an original are probably pretty slim nowadays, so I'd love to build up a modern version. I'd keep the elegant lines and I'd find a nice piece of timber and go the whole hog on it. And it wouldn't just be a showpiece - I'd use it for deer hunting as it's on my bucket list to bag a deer with a .303 British.

So there you go guys, thats my top 3...

What are yours?

Russ

H&H 500/465 Royal

If my wife would get over her aversion to working on Saturdays, I would be able to have one. Seems like a good deal for everyone.
If my wife wouldn't go shopping on Saturday,...... I also would be able to.....

HWL

I'm thinking of 3 more doubles, a 450/400 preferably a 3" but may get nostalgic and go with an older gun. A 577 NE. And been having a hankering for a Paradox gun:)

And Rigby in 275 Rigby;)

Also not trying to highjack the thread but is it just me or do all of you see almost no $10-$15k 450-400 DRs anywhere?
I thought I saw something written on a theory that with less elephant hunting, the lighter recoiling 450/400's have gained a lot of popularity as they are plenty for buffalo.

That's what my ex girlfriend once told me. Lol!
That's why she's your EX girlfriend.
And then you promptly went out and bought another rifle.

My gunsmith recently completed my „new“ Mauser 66 in 416 Ruger.

6E76CBE7-0408-4C72-8B11-1372E61A8833.jpeg

The next M66 is in progress...
Reamer in 33 Nosler already arrived.

I don't know who would make something like this but I want a matched pair of double rifles. One O/U in 300H&H and the other SXS in 400H&H. CCH, dark walnut, light engraving.

Blaser K95 Ultimate in 270, 9.3x74R, and a 222 barrel as a spare.

Among rifles :
A Lebeau Courally Side-Lock Ejector side by side double rifle ( featuring 26 inch barrels , semi pistol grip , semi beavertail fore end , no automatic safety and double triggers ) in 9.3x74 mm Rimmed , regulated for the 293 grain RWS TUG factory load .

Among shotguns :
An original 12 bore 3 inch Magnum Winchester Model 21 “ Duck “ side by side shotgun .

It seems to me quite a few of us fancy single shot rifles. Interesting.

Fully customized 1917 Enfield in 375HH. 24 in match grade bbl, 6 round mag, fitted Monte Carlo stock with rollover comb. Weighing in at about 10.5 to 11 lbs scoped and loaded. Fun to dream, yes?

Westley Richards drop lock in .303 British, 26” barrels, splinter forend, Prince of Wales grip, 2.5” drop at heel, slight cast off for right hand shooter, traditional British style cheek piece (best grade English walnut of course).
Complete with spare shotgun barrels in 28 gauge, also 26” and splinter forend.
Right side shot barrel true cylinder, left side shot barrel full choke.

Oh yeah, and I’d also like to have a pet frog with wings.

+1 including the pet frog with wings :))))

My gunsmith recently completed my „new“ Mauser 66 in 416 Ruger.

View attachment 393073
The next M66 is in progress...
Reamer in 33 Nosler already arrived.
What in tarnation is on the end of that barrel?!?! Guess its true what they say about beauty being in the eye of the beholder....

What in tarnation is on the end of that barrel?!?! Guess its true what they say about beauty being in the eye of the beholder....
Thought it was a Krupp anti-tank gun for a moment.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen sold me on the "need" to have a 35 Whelen, so my gunsmith and I are putting one together. Nothing fancy but it should be fairly cool.

I have dropped off a wood blank at Reto Buehler's place to save my spot in line for a custom built single shot rifle on a Hagn Action. Yesterday I was thinking a 280AI, today I'm back to thinking a 270 Winchester with a 1:8.5 twist and a 26 inch barrel, throated a little long to seat a heavier bullet out a touch longer than would be possible in a box fed gun. I might have a little fancy stuff inlaid or engraved on it for fun. That's today's thoughts... tomorrow it could change.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen sold me on the "need" to have a 35 Whelen, so my gunsmith and I are putting one together. Nothing fancy but it should be fairly cool.

I have dropped off a wood blank at Reto Buehler's place to save my spot in line for a custom built single shot rifle on a Hagn Action. Yesterday I was thinking a 280AI, today I'm back to thinking a 270 Winchester with a 1:8.5 twist and a 26 inch barrel, throated a little long to seat a heavier bullet out a touch longer than would be possible in a box fed gun. I might have a little fancy stuff inlaid or engraved on it for fun. That's today's thoughts... tomorrow it could change.

I went to a palm reader the other day.
She put on a turban, lit some candles, gazed into a crystal ball and then told me that, she could see a man otherwise known as “HuntingGold”.
According to this palm reader, “HuntingGold” was having a Hagn actioned single shot rifle built in caliber 7x65R, 26” barrel, single blade rear sight, banded Recknagel front sight, decent walnut stock, 20 lines per inch checkering, oval cheek piece, and a claw mounted 6x Austro-German scope with simple cross wires.
She seemed quite sure of this, yes quite.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilma6932

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg