My latest Big Bore is on it's way!

This is from The A-Square Handloading and Rifle Manual, Any Shot You Want.
As to the loads, Remember powder properties / formulas have certainly changed over the years.
1F2E1219-5C4B-4EC8-937F-83370D8D3759.jpeg
8F8B3F3F-9AC9-4203-8581-EB807F8B5C6F.jpeg

This is from The A-Square Handloading and Rifle Manual, Any Shot You Want.
As to the loads, Remember powder properties / formulas have certainly changed over the years.
View attachment 528074View attachment 528075
Thanks for posting that.

A-Square's "Any Shot You Want" manual is where I recall first seeing the specs on the .425 Exp.'s bullet diameter being .423" - same as the .404J.

I'm surprised, as stated on the page in the picture above, that Savage didn't maintain this cartridge, along with at least a couple of the other chamberings in their stainless Safari Series of M116 SE rifles ... 300WM and .458WM being the others.

At Savage's traditional price-point, they'd have sold at least as well as the Ruger's .375s for DG hunting.

116-458-win-caliber-stainless-steel-safari-express-model-rifle-with-deluxe-checkered-walnut-st...jpg

I haven’t tried necking up my .338 brass for my .416 Taylor case yet, as I’ve been necking my .458WM brass down. But, a gentleman here on AH has used the .338 brass for his .416 Taylor and said it works well.

Ive done both... I found it a little easier to neck down 458 (basically just one run through the dies), where necking up 338 I had to go two steps (neck up to 375 then neck up to 416.. or I'd screw up a pretty substantial amount of the brass)..

I'd guess I've got 100 pieces of necked down 458, maybe 30 pieces of 338 necked up.. and about 50 pieces of properly head stamped 416 Taylor.. which I hope will be all I need to last me the rest of my life and my necking up and down days will be over lol..

This is a very interesting thread! (I'm boring and easily entertained. LOL) If the .425 Express is based on a .300WM case, why is @Badboymelvin .425 Express case in his photos SIGNIFICANTLY longer than the pictured .458WM, .416 Taylor and .338WM cases? From .264WM, 7mmRM (case IS a smidge longer), .300WM, .338WM and .458WM, the cases are ALL the same length and width dimensions. I know I'm missing something here, but can't figure out what it is? I'll have to get some cases from my reloading "space" (that's all I get according to my wife) in the basement and do some measuring.

Thanks for posting that.

A-Square's "Any Shot You Want" manual is where I recall first seeing the specs on the .425 Exp.'s bullet diameter being .423" - same as the .404J.

I'm surprised, as stated on the page in the picture above, that Savage didn't maintain this cartridge, along with at least a couple of the other chamberings in their stainless Safari Series of M116 SE rifles ... 300WM and .458WM being the others.

At Savage's traditional price-point, they'd have sold at least as well as the Ruger's .375s for DG hunting.

View attachment 528076
Yeah, some time ago I saw a Savage SS .458WM for sale on GB. I just thought it was a rebarrel? It did go for a premium price though.

This is a very interesting thread! (I'm boring and easily entertained. LOL) If the .425 Express is based on a .300WM case, why is @Badboymelvin .425 Express case in his photos SIGNIFICANTLY longer than the pictured .458WM, .416 Taylor and .338WM cases? From .264WM, 7mmRM (case IS a smidge longer), .300WM, .338WM and .458WM, the cases are ALL the same length and width dimensions. I know I'm missing something here, but can't figure out what it is? I'll have to get some cases from my reloading "space" (that's all I get according to my wife) in the basement and do some measuring.

Hey mate,

The .300 Win Mag case IS longer than the others.
.338WM, .458WM, .264WM are all 2.5" long
The .300WM is 2.62" long.

The photo's that l posted were sent to me and are not mine.
When the rifle and brass comes l'll be sure to take pics and l'll keep everyone updated on my loading of it.
I own a .458WM and a .338WM so l'll take some comparison pics and post them too. (y)

Russ

Hey mate,

The .300 Win Mag case IS longer than the others.
.338WM, .458WM, .264WM are all 2.5" long
The .300WM is 2.62" long.

The photo's that l posted were sent to me and are not mine.
When the rifle and brass comes l'll be sure to take pics and l'll keep everyone updated on my loading of it.
I own a .458WM and a .338WM so l'll take some comparison pics and post them too. (y)

Russ
You're absolutely correct and I stand corrected. Without checking first, I thought it was the 7mmRM that had a longer case, but it IS the .300WM in that family of cartridges. I can't wait to see your rifle!

You're absolutely correct and I stand corrected. Without checking first, I thought it was the 7mmRM that had a longer case, but it IS the .300WM in that family of cartridges. I can't wait to see your rifle!

Either can I! And guess what? It got posted today :A Banana:

The old Colonel got it past 2350 with a 26" pipe...if this helps

View attachment 527683
@TTuundra
He may have got it over 2,400fps but to me 67,000 psi is really pushing the envelope.
Even my Whelen load only get to 62,000 psi the same as the 270 and 308.
Me thinks 67,000psi is stressing things a bit to much but that's just my opinion.
Bob

@TTuundra
He may have got it over 2,400fps but to me 67,000 psi is really pushing the envelope.
Even my Whelen load only get to 62,000 psi the same as the 270 and 308.
Me thinks 67,000psi is stressing things a bit to much but that's just my opinion.
Bob
That was the max test. RL15 did it at 52k psi. This was also 30ish years ago. Likely more powder and bullet options to get there even under that 52k psi mark with today's advancements.

Surely 375 h&h bras would be fairly easy to get and neck up/trim to the correct dimensions. I like the idea of the 425 express, a modern 425 westley richards0.

Yep, there's a few options you could choose. I however liked the idea of having the correct headstamp so that's why l went the route l did (y)

Cheers,

Russ

404 Jeffery, 404 Jeffrey Express, 425 Express, 416 Taylor View attachment 527827

"404 Jeffery Express"?

Now there is one I've never heard about before! Guessing it's a wildcat where the only change is the shorter neck?

It would make quite a lot of sense, though. The original neck is quite long, and the case is certainly roomy enough. So shortening it a bit to make it fit in a standard length action would not really hamper it terms of performance. And pressure could still be kept low-ish.

Btw - congrats to the new rifle. Let us know how it performs. And.. I would not really recommend trying to achieve 2400 fps. There is really no practical need for it, and you would be getting into the danger zone pressure-wise.

/cmk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross