Phillip,

re: the 5" model, does it do a good bit of sound suppression as well? typically, bigger IS better with suppressor noise reduction. does the rifle with a 5" suppressor become quiet enough to be ear muff free? thanks.
Yes it is hearing safe and about as good as a long one.
At the range I always use hearing pro no matter what I am shooting.

Can someone explain something that I don’t understand.I have a silencer on my .22 rifle .For it to be silent ,just hear the semi-auto bolt noise ,I use subsonic ammo.High velocity is quieter than normal but still very noisy.How quiet is let’s say a 30.06 out in the field ,I’m to assume that snail pace ammo is not used .
A suppressor muffles the muzzle blast and then you will hear the crack down range. This is the case with most rifle cartridges. Even with supersonic ammo you will cause much less disturbance to game. As I sit and deer hunt here at the ranch (in blind now) I hear shots from many miles away. Some of my clients on safari last year had .300Win with the big muzzle break and I could hear them anytime they shot and we were on a 75,000 acre game ranch! With a suppressor of any kind you will not hear it from terribly far away. It really helps in many respects. For instance I am doe culling and I need to be as quiet as possible.
Philip

I run silencerco harvesters on my hunting rifles--my 7mmRem Mag gets below 130 decibels but for me, the difference is that there are external baffles on the suppressor which reduces felt recoil. My three daughters shoot the 7mag with no ear protection and no aversion to recoil--they all weigh under 125 lbs. The other interesting thing is the lack of response the other animals in the field have to the shot--usually they don't run off like a sonic boom has occurred.
That is a good suppressor and I have several SilencerCo. Keep taking those kids hunting! Another reason for suppressors!

The National Firearms Act of 1938.
$200 and 4 months is all it takes to comply. All electronic and easy. Check out Silencer Shop and Silencer Central.

That is a good suppressor and I have several SilencerCo. Keep taking those kids hunting! Another reason for suppressors!
I agree with the OP my youngest really has an aversion to loud guns, but loves shooting my suppressed firearms. The reduced recoil is also big to the young hunters. I purchased both my suppressors with my kids in mind. I don’t care about the noise or recoil, but boy have I grown to like them. Took a buck this morning with my .308 has a dead air titanium can.

@Philip Glass thanks for the video!

If you were to buy a suppressor today that could work on a Blaser R8 in either .270, 7 mag or .300 win mag, what would you recommend getting? What company do you suggest using for the purchase?

Also, for a .22 cal or .17hmr do you have any suggestions?
I am a believer! I have two suppressors (.300 and .22). I’d like to get a smaller, lighter one though.

@Philip Glass thanks for the video!

If you were to buy a suppressor today that could work on a Blaser R8 in either .270, 7 mag or .300 win mag, what would you recommend getting? What company do you suggest using for the purchase?

Also, for a .22 cal or .17hmr do you have any suggestions?
I am a believer! I have two suppressors (.300 and .22). I’d like to get a smaller, lighter one though.
I have a Dead Air Sandman-S that fits the 300WM barrel I just bought with M15x1 threads. It uses an adapter (looks like a flash hider) from the rifle threads to the suppressor.
1669247759247.png

I'm not sold on using a suppressor for stalking. It throws off the balance of a rifle IMO. Best used for ambush hunting from a blind or hide.

Last edited:
I hunt in the mountains of western Virginia doing both stand hunting and still hunting. I have two rifles at 24” that are suppressed and one at 22”. I will say that going forward all of my barrels will be between 18” and 22” but I haven’t had any problems “stalking”.
I always carry my rifle in the hand when I’m still hunting and balance points are at the recoil lug or just a fraction forward. I will say it does make the rifle a slight bit less “lively” but doesn’t really affect balance as much as you would think.

I hunt in the mountains of western Virginia doing both stand hunting and still hunting. I have two rifles at 24” that are suppressed and one at 22”. I will say that going forward all of my barrels will be between 18” and 22” but I haven’t had any problems “stalking”.
I always carry my rifle in the hand when I’m still hunting and balance points are at the recoil lug or just a fraction forward. I will say it does make the rifle a slight bit less “lively” but doesn’t really affect balance as much as you would think.
Even a 7" long titanium suppressor capable of 300WM weighs about 16 oz...a full pound hanging off the end of your barrel. It does significantly effect the balance of a rifle, along with the added length. I know this because I've hunted with (and without) one.

I get it. I'm pro suppressor too, but there is no free lunch. There is a price to be paid for the noise reduction. Weight, balance and length are the big ones. Secondary would be shifting of zero with the suppressor vs without. It's a useful tool in the right situation, but for my purposes it's very limited.

Even a 7" long titanium suppressor capable of 300WM weighs about 16 oz...a full pound hanging off the end of your barrel. It does significantly effect the balance of a rifle, along with the added length. I know this because I've hunted with (and without) one.

I get it. I'm pro suppressor too, but there is no free lunch. There is a price to be paid for the noise reduction. Weight, balance and length are the big ones. Secondary would be shifting of zero with the suppressor vs without. It's a useful tool in the right situation, but for my purposes it's very limited.
The suppressor I have must weigh over 16 Oz. I’ll weigh it and provide dimensions. It makes the rifle less comfortable to carry on long hikes and the balance is off. It is too barrel heavy and likes to rotate the gun backward, similar to having a bipod that is too heavy. I’m very curious to try a 5” one that is only 6 Oz like Philip has. That might be very close to ideal.

I’d estimate the recoil reduction at 1/3 or maybe more, it is quite noticeable.

My real dream is to try the Blaser R8 silence, the whole barrel is a suppressor!

The suppressor I have must weigh over 16 Oz. I’ll weigh it and provide dimensions. It makes the rifle less comfortable to carry on long hikes and the balance is off. It is too barrel heavy and likes to rotate the gun backward, similar to having a bipod that is too heavy. I’m very curious to try a 5” one that is only 6 Oz like Philip has. That might be very close to ideal.

I’d estimate the recoil reduction at 1/3 or maybe more, it is quite noticeable.

My real dream is to try the Blaser R8 silence, the whole barrel is a suppressor!
I used one on my first safari and it did affect the balance of the rifle. I didn't really notice much reduction in noise and recoil but it was on a 243. We were hunting in an area where they raised buffalo and the rancher didn't want excess noise to disturb his animals.

I didn't like it then and I still don't. They are about the ugliest contraption to spoil the looks of a good rifle. I suppose they are all right in their way but for me they don't weigh much. As my Dad said, "They're alright in their place but it hasn't been dug yet."

$200 and 4 months is all it takes to comply. All electronic and easy. Check out Silencer Shop and Silencer Central.
There is also the principle of the thing.

I do agree with your point, and I have and do hunt with suppressors in Europe. What I'd really like to do it get a Steyr or Blaser where the entire barrel is the suppressor. That strikes me as the most logical thing.

I am scheduled to send my Mannlicher Classic II to be fitted for a suppressor. To do this, they will need to remove the front site post, thread the end, and re-fit the front site so that it doesn't touch the cap. A non-trivial process, and that adds more than your $200.

And don't tell me to not worry about the front site post. You're not taking that, just as you're not taking the standard transmission off my car because everyone uses automatics these days.

Then, when I leave Europe, and bring the rifle home, I will have to sell the can I bought here, and buy a new one at home. "It's just a $200 tax and a 4 month wait", but no matter what, the NFA prohibits the import. So there's that. And that Steyr Breeze? Staying on the shelf, because it's just not worth the hassle. https://www.steyr-arms.com/en/hunting-rifles/breeze/. Again: NFA.

Oh, and you haven't even touched on my full-length stocks yet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 2.26.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 2.26.28 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 2.26.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 2.26.29 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 2.26.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 2.26.32 PM.png
    653.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 2.26.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 2.26.33 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
This would be the proper way to do it. The only possible issue I see is making it user serviceable to extend the life of the suppressor.

I have a Dead Air Sandman-S that fits the 300WM barrel I just bought with M15x1 threads. It uses an adapter (looks like a flash hider) from the rifle threads to the suppressor.
View attachment 501931

I'm not sold on using a suppressor for stalking. It throws off the balance of a rifle IMO. Best used for ambush hunting from a blind or hide.
Agreed. I have several for all the way to 375. But only use them in fixed or open situations. If Blaser would grow a pair and bring in the integrated Silence, I’d be first in line.

in Switzerland and parts of Germany I can buy a suppressor blister packed off a peg

I have a 9 inch Banish 30 that can be reduced to 7inch and a Thunderbeast ultra 5 which is 5 inches.
Those of you who are considering a suppressor should simply call Silencer Central in South Dakota. They handle all your paperwork and the wait time is now around 90 days. Great people !
The positives of shooting suppressed are:
1 less noise
2 less recoil
3 improves accuracy

The negatives of shooting suppressed are
1 the rifle balance is affected
2 the silencer makes gun longer and can be in the way in some hunting situations.

I enjoy shooting a lot more without the noise and recoil.
I do not use on my 375 because I think in dangerous game situations less is better

Lead time is now about 4 months. We’ve all waited longer that that for ammo!
I wish it was 4 months now, I had 4 come in the being of the year. Average wait time is about 80 days on those 4. I 2 more that have been waiting 140 days with the average wait time now being over 200 days.

I'm hoping things get better after all the paper forms get worked through.

I wish it was 4 months now, I had 4 come in the being of the year. Average wait time is about 80 days on those 4. I 2 more that have been waiting 140 days with the average wait time now being over 200 days.

I'm hoping things get better after all the paper forms get worked through.

I ordered my 1st suppressor may 2nd. Was told it would be 90 days since I was doing it electronically. 120 at the most!! I’m at over 200 now and waiting impatiently!

Kids really like my 308 with a suppressor but it does throw the balances off. My 16.5 inch barrel rifle balances about like my old muzzle loader. Not terrible but a but much for a small teenager.

I'm tempted to do one of 3 things.
1. Complete a form 1 and create a 308 SBR. I wonder how well a 12 to 14 inch barrel 308 would work. I'd probably do it on a Ruger American or Remington 700 so o could swap barrels if I felt creative.
2. Complete a form 1 and try making a suppressor from titanium.
3. Buy another suppressor.

#3 is unlikely for a while because I just don't have the cash lying around for that. Probably just muddle along with what we have.

I ordered my 1st suppressor may 2nd. Was told it would be 90 days since I was doing it electronically. 120 at the most!! I’m at over 200 now and waiting impatiently!
I'm almost a year which includes the ordering of the suppressor. I was quoted 9 months that got it to the dealer in 8. Then the paperwork started. It is BS that we have to jumb through hoops for a suppressor. At the end of the day it is better for everyone to have them.
Kids really like my 308 with a suppressor but it does throw the balances off. My 16.5 inch barrel rifle balances about like my old muzzle loader. Not terrible but a but much for a small teenager.

I'm tempted to do one of 3 things.
1. Complete a form 1 and create a 308 SBR. I wonder how well a 12 to 14 inch barrel 308 would work. I'd probably do it on a Ruger American or Remington 700 so o could swap barrels if I felt creative.
2. Complete a form 1 and try making a suppressor from titanium.
3. Buy another suppressor.

#3 is unlikely for a while because I just don't have the cash lying around for that. Probably just muddle along with what we have.
Take a look at the Thunder Beast line of suppressors. Very light weight and good suppression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.