My First Proper Rifle

Kawshik Rahman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I feel like sharing an excellent news with my dear respected forum members .
As l have detailed previously , the arms laws in Bangladesh , my home - land are like this :
A normal citizen is legally permitted to own up to six firearms ( although certain methods exist , to allow a citizen to own more ) . They can legally own one hand-gun and the rest of the six firearms can be rifles and/ or shot-guns. They can legally own any rifle calibre , except a rifle calibrated for the British .303 service cartridge .
They can own any hand-gun , except a hand-gun calibrated for the 9 millimeter Parabellum cartridge .
While the arms laws are not the most sensible , at least they are far better than most Asian countries and hopefully , even these laws will be relaxed over the years .

The problem , however is availability. Very few choices of firearms and cartridges are commercially imported into Bangladesh till now . The calibres for which arms and ammunition are commercially imported and available in Bangladesh are :
1) .22 Long Rifle
2) .22 Winchester magnum rim-fire
3) .32 Automatic Colt Pistol
4) .32 Smith and Wesson
5) 12 bore ( all varieties )
While the availability of these basic calibres are nothing worth gloating about , at least it is better than most other Asian countries , like India ( where a citizen can only only own one firearm and they are not allowed to own imported firearms at all ) or South Korea ( Where firearm ownership is not allowed at all ) .

Even though the five aforementioned calibres are what is commercially available , many citizens do go to foreign countries and purchase other calibres of arms and ammunition , which they bring back to Bangladesh and can legally own and use . On every trip back to Bangladesh , a citizen can bring back 250 cartridges into the country ( with the first one hundred cartridges being duty- free ) . I knew one such gentleman who used to own a mauser mechanism bolt operation rifle calibrated for the 7 millimeter mauser cartridge . The name of the rifle was a zkk- 600 made by the Czechoslovakian firm , Brno . He would use it to hunt Sambhar deer in the area near the Sundarban forests . Recently , however this gentleman and his family have decided to move to Europe permanently . Thus , the gentleman offered to sell me his zkk- 600 bolt operation rifle for a very reasonable sum of 160,000 Bangladesh Taka ( 76 Bangladesh Taka is the equivalent of one American Dollar ) .
I was thrilled ! The 7 millimeter mauser calibre was what was used by my childhood hero , Jim Corbett to slay man - eating hunting leopards and Royal Bengal tigers . During my career as a professional Shikari in Darjeeling , India from 1962 to 1970 , l had dozens of clients who would bring beautiful bolt operation rifles calibrated for the 7 millimeter mauser cartridge , which they would use successfully , even for securing 2000 pound Gaurs ( although l certainly do not advocate this practice ! ) . I knew that l simply HAD to have it . And so , l applied for a fourth rifle license . After l fortunately got the positive confirmation , l purchased the rifle yesterday. The very first two people ( outside my family ) whom l shared this excellent news with , was my boyhood friend , former fellow professional Shikari and fellow forum member , @Major Khan and my good friend and fellow forum member , @Shootist43 . Here is the beautiful rifle with a piece of boric cotton stuffed into the muzzle to prevent any nasty insects from getting into the bore.
IMG_20200103_001444.jpg

I made my niece and her fiance give the stock a good oiling . I do not have any cartridges for it yet . However , good old Poton has taken it upon himself to find me twenty cartridges by tomorrow , come what may . He knows a friend in the division of Rajshahi who also owns a bolt operation rifle calibrated for the 7 millimeter mauser cartridge and the friend has agreed to sell Poton twenty cartridges from his personal stock .
To make matters better , my niece's in-laws- to -be ( who live in Alabama in the United States of America ) have readily volunteered to bring me 250 cartridges every time they come to Bangladesh. Also , every time l go to foreign countries , l shall purchase 250 cartridges to bring back to Bangladesh . Hopefully , l shall build up quite the stock soon .
After eight miserable years of backing up clients with a cheap Indian Ordinance Factories 12 bore side by side shot-gun , loaded with SG cartridges ( 1962 to 1970) , 53 years of using SG cartridges to shoot deer , bears and boars ( 1962 to 2015 ) and five years of shooting deer and boars with a .22 Winchester magnum rim-fire calibre bolt operation rifle ( 2015 to 2019 ) , l have finally , at 77 years of age , succeeded in acquiring my very first proper ( central- fire ) rifle . I have already sold my .22 Long Rifle calibre Belgian auto - loading rifle and transferred my .22 Long Rifle calibre Brno bolt operation rifle's legal ownership to my wonderful niece . Now , my battery is the following :
-12 bore Westley Richards side by side game-gun for shooting land- fowl and hares .
- 12 bore Beretta over-under shot-gun ( model S. 686 Special ) for shooting water- fowl .
- .22 Winchester magnum rim-fire calibre Austrian ISSC bolt operation rifle for shooting barking deer and mouse deer .
- 7 millimeter mauser calibre Brno zkk- 600 bolt operation rifle for shooting Sambhar deer , Chital deer , boars and the odd bear .

I have conducted a search on the internet and to my old eyes , the best factory loaded ammunition for the 7 millimeter mauser calibre appears to be the 175 grain soft nose cartridges produced by the American firm , Federal . Hopefully , l shall build up a good stock of these cartridges in due time .
After acquiring the cartridges , l will shoot it tomorrow and report to my dear respected forum members , how the rifle fires . The seller was a good friend and l believe that he is an honest gentleman and is being very truthful when he says that the rifle is a very fine one .
I cannot wait to try it this March for our upcoming Chital deer Shikar.

I would also like to humbly apologize to my fellow forum members for being a little irregular in the forums lately . My niece is getting married and thus l have to do quite a bit of running around at the moment .

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle, Mr. Rahman. I have heard nothing but good things said about the ZKK rifles. (I will soon find out for myself as I just purchased a 602 In 375 H&H) I love the little 7mm Mauser cartridge. When my friend gave me my 7mm Mauser he also gave me this box of cartridges

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t wait to see how it shoots! Congratulations on your first, proper rifle!
And, believe me I certainly understand the time needed to help your niece! I’m just a bit greedy wanting another story out of you:whistle:!

Congratulations @Kawshik Rahman
You deserve it.
Let us know how the range session goes.

That is a fine looking piece. Congrats and let us know ASAP how it shoots.

I feel like sharing an excellent news with my dear respected forum members .
As l have detailed previously , the arms laws in Bangladesh , my home - land are like this :
A normal citizen is legally permitted to own up to six firearms ( although certain methods exist , to allow a citizen to own more ) . They can legally own one hand-gun and the rest of the six firearms can be rifles and/ or shot-guns. They can legally own any rifle calibre , except a rifle calibrated for the British .303 service cartridge .
They can own any hand-gun , except a hand-gun calibrated for the 9 millimeter Parabellum cartridge .
While the arms laws are not the most sensible , at least they are far better than most Asian countries and hopefully , even these laws will be relaxed over the years .

The problem , however is availability. Very few choices of firearms and cartridges are commercially imported into Bangladesh till now . The calibres for which arms and ammunition are commercially imported and available in Bangladesh are :
1) .22 Long Rifle
2) .22 Winchester magnum rim-fire
3) .32 Automatic Colt Pistol
4) .32 Smith and Wesson
5) 12 bore ( all varieties )
While the availability of these basic calibres are nothing worth gloating about , at least it is better than most other Asian countries , like India ( where a citizen can only only own one firearm and they are not allowed to own imported firearms at all ) or South Korea ( Where firearm ownership is not allowed at all ) .

Even though the five aforementioned calibres are what is commercially available , many citizens do go to foreign countries and purchase other calibres of arms and ammunition , which they bring back to Bangladesh and can legally own and use . On every trip back to Bangladesh , a citizen can bring back 250 cartridges into the country ( with the first one hundred cartridges being duty- free ) . I knew one such gentleman who used to own a mauser mechanism bolt operation rifle calibrated for the 7 millimeter mauser cartridge . The name of the rifle was a zkk- 600 made by the Czechoslovakian firm , Brno . He would use it to hunt Sambhar deer in the area near the Sundarban forests . Recently , however this gentleman and his family have decided to move to Europe permanently . Thus , the gentleman offered to sell me his zkk- 600 bolt operation rifle for a very reasonable sum of 160,000 Bangladesh Taka ( 76 Bangladesh Taka is the equivalent of one American Dollar ) .
I was thrilled ! The 7 millimeter mauser calibre was what was used by my childhood hero , Jim Corbett to slay man - eating hunting leopards and Royal Bengal tigers . During my career as a professional Shikari in Darjeeling , India from 1962 to 1970 , l had dozens of clients who would bring beautiful bolt operation rifles calibrated for the 7 millimeter mauser cartridge , which they would use successfully , even for securing 2000 pound Gaurs ( although l certainly do not advocate this practice ! ) . I knew that l simply HAD to have it . And so , l applied for a fourth rifle license . After l fortunately got the positive confirmation , l purchased the rifle yesterday. The very first two people ( outside my family ) whom l shared this excellent news with , was my boyhood friend , former fellow professional Shikari and fellow forum member , @Major Khan and my good friend and fellow forum member , @Shootist43 . Here is the beautiful rifle with a piece of boric cotton stuffed into the muzzle to prevent any nasty insects from getting into the bore.
View attachment 321648
I made my niece and her fiance give the stock a good oiling . I do not have any cartridges for it yet . However , good old Poton has taken it upon himself to find me twenty cartridges by tomorrow , come what may . He knows a friend in the division of Rajshahi who also owns a bolt operation rifle calibrated for the 7 millimeter mauser cartridge and the friend has agreed to sell Poton twenty cartridges from his personal stock .
To make matters better , my niece's in-laws- to -be ( who live in Alabama in the United States of America ) have readily volunteered to bring me 250 cartridges every time they come to Bangladesh. Also , every time l go to foreign countries , l shall purchase 250 cartridges to bring back to Bangladesh . Hopefully , l shall build up quite the stock soon .
After eight miserable years of backing up clients with a cheap Indian Ordinance Factories 12 bore side by side shot-gun , loaded with SG cartridges ( 1962 to 1970) , 53 years of using SG cartridges to shoot deer , bears and boars ( 1962 to 2015 ) and five years of shooting deer and boars with a .22 Winchester magnum rim-fire calibre bolt operation rifle ( 2015 to 2019 ) , l have finally , at 77 years of age , succeeded in acquiring my very first proper ( central- fire ) rifle . I have already sold my .22 Long Rifle calibre Belgian auto - loading rifle and transferred my .22 Long Rifle calibre Brno bolt operation rifle's legal ownership to my wonderful niece . Now , my battery is the following :
-12 bore Westley Richards side by side game-gun for shooting land- fowl and hares .
- 12 bore Beretta over-under shot-gun ( model S. 686 Special ) for shooting water- fowl .
- .22 Winchester magnum rim-fire calibre Austrian ISSC bolt operation rifle for shooting barking deer and mouse deer .
- 7 millimeter mauser calibre Brno zkk- 600 bolt operation rifle for shooting Sambhar deer , Chital deer , boars and the odd bear .

I have conducted a search on the internet and to my old eyes , the best factory loaded ammunition for the 7 millimeter mauser calibre appears to be the 175 grain soft nose cartridges produced by the American firm , Federal . Hopefully , l shall build up a good stock of these cartridges in due time .
After acquiring the cartridges , l will shoot it tomorrow and report to my dear respected forum members , how the rifle fires . The seller was a good friend and l believe that he is an honest gentleman and is being very truthful when he says that the rifle is a very fine one .
I cannot wait to try it this March for our upcoming Chital deer Shikar.

I would also like to humbly apologize to my fellow forum members for being a little irregular in the forums lately . My niece is getting married and thus l have to do quite a bit of running around at the moment .
Fantastic news! What a great rifle. I am sure you will love it.

Congratulations!

Kawshik, do you know what make cartridges and bullet weights the former owner used? There are lots of options available. The iron sights may require some adjusting. Is this rifle drilled and tapped for a scope? What distance do you expect to be shooting at? Looking forward to seeing your targets once the gun is zeroed. Were you able to get any ammo components from the previous owner?

Congratulations on a fine rifle made for a classic and capable cartridge. A Brno ZKK in .308 was my choice for several years, I was never disappointed and it always worked accurately and reliably. I only sold it after acquiring another Brno rifle model 22f chambered in 7x57. I have used the 7x57 with perfect satisfaction to hunt our Canadian moose, elk, mule deer, whitetail deer and wolf. The factory uses the CIP standard fast twist rifling and long chamber throat, and therefore most Brno rifles shoot best with "long" bullets of medium or heavy weights, 154-175 grains. Norma and RWS ammunition has performed well for me. I am pleased that you shared your news with us. May you and your rifle continue to be successful in the field!

Last edited:
- 7 millimeter mauser calibre Brno zkk- 600 bolt operation rifle for shooting Sambhar deer , Chital deer , boars and the odd bear

Congratulations once again!
This is very respectful inventory, all around hunting purpose, by any standard, for any hunter (world wide).

I wish you successful hunting with new rifle!

I have one more comment about ammunition: your research has led you to USA made Federal ammunition. I have used quite a lot of Federal 7x57 ammunition, at least enough to form an opinion. It has always been reasonably accurate and dependable for me. But it is underpowered, as is nearly all 7x57 ammunition loaded in the USA. Federal 175 gr. "Blue box" ammunition reaches only 2200 feet per second velocity from my rifle. European factories load the 7x57 to higher pressure / velocity. I already mentioned Norma and RWS, you may also wish to try Sellier & Bellot , a Czech company. Their ammunition is accurate and much more powerful than Winchester, Remington or Federal in my experience. Of course if only hunting small deer at close range it won't matter, but you may appreciate maximum power when hunting larger animals or for farther shots.

Does Hornady have 7x57 in superformance production line?

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle, Mr. Rahman. I have heard nothing but good things said about the ZKK rifles. (I will soon find out for myself as I just purchased a 602 In 375 H&H) I love the little 7mm Mauser cartridge. When my friend gave me my 7mm Mauser he also gave me this box of cartridges

View attachment 321649
Wyatt Smith
Thank you so much for your kind words and support , my young American friend . Are these vintage cartridges ? I was looking at an American ammunition selling internet page called " Mid-Way USA " . They do not have any 7 millimeter mauser cartridges made by the firm , Winchester listed on the page .

Can’t wait to see how it shoots! Congratulations on your first, proper rifle!
And, believe me I certainly understand the time needed to help your niece! I’m just a bit greedy wanting another story out of you:whistle:!
Ridgewalker
Thank you so much for your kind words and support. I shall update you gentlemen tonight .
Nothing would thrill me greater than to write a new articles for the international hunting community . However , this marriage needs a great deal of running around . The groom's family are traditional Alabama people . They even stipulated that every male present there wears a string -tie . Fortunately , l have over the course of the last one week , become quite an expert at tying string ties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg