My Covid vaccination experience

T
No problem- glad you appreciate my insight. I must admit- I haven’t “studied” this much in the past 1 1/2 years since medical school 20 years ago!

As far as length of immunity from COVID-19 thru vaccination, the current literature is “at least 6 months” with the 2 mRNA vaccines (Moderna and Pfeizer). I suspect that actual immunity to the original/wild type virus will likely be greater than 1 year- however, the mutations will likely mean booster shots just like your annual flu shot you receive each year (at least that is the conclusion I’ve been thinking for several months now).

What is not being discussed in the Fake News near enough is our T cell driven immunity. Our T cells (Th1, Th2 and memory T cells) are our immune system recognizing mechanism that direct our B cells to pump out specific antibodies to the virus upon reinfection and recognition of the virus. The T cells are what allows our immune systems to create “innate” immunity from all sorts of pathogens (bacteria, viruses and parasites). They create lasting immunity over time. All the media hype is about the B cells and antibodies for COVID-19 leaving out the most important cells- the T cells. All of the fearmongering created by the media and not discussing the full story about actual science to meet their narrative is absolutely horrific- but I digress...

My stance that I tell my patients is get vaccinated (or don’t- at this point here in the USA it is your personal choice)- but whichever choice you make— get on with LIVING as this virus isn’t going away anytime soon. As my previous post stated- this virus will certainly become endemic and will eventually be just like all the other viruses in the coronavirus family which cause the common cold. I can’t even begin to tell you how many people and patients I’ve come across who are fully vaccinated and continue to not go about living life- it is soooo depressing and horrible to see this... and much of that is based upon individuals political beliefs.

Hope this helps and I’d be happy to share other insights on this forum if asked because I’m more than willing to provide accurate insight on this situation as it continues to evolve.

Cheers and continue to hope folks on AH make it on safari this year because we only have one life to live and in the grand scheme of things, a short one at that.

I’ll end this post with wisdom/thought that my grandpa used to say to me when I was very young (which I’m sure many of you have heard before): “You need to either get busy living or get busy dying- and you need to make that choice quickly because we’re not on this great wondrous planet for very long”.
Thanks for all that. I've had a long career in the dairy industry and am exposed to lots of discussions around vaccines so definitely have heard what you are saying regarding the T cells. Etc. The other thing is listening to you, my BS meter is staying flat;)

I just got out if the Hospital for Covid-19. I'm in about a month now from initial infection. It was maybe 50/50 two weeks ago that I survived this thing and I am not the demographic that is supposed to get so sick from it.

But back home doing well and planning about 5 weeks in Tanzania this fall, hunting and touring. So yea, hear you on living!!! :)

Had my pfizer shot yesterday sore arm but not much else and now the wait of four months for the second one because our illustrious leader knows more than the scientists that developed the vaccine. The little "Potato" dictator got caught putting his trust in the Chinese to help Canada develope the vaccine and now we are somewhere around 40th in the world for per capita vaccinations! There are third world countries that have vaccinated more citizens. Now Canada is in the middle of another wave of lockdowns and personal freedom infringement. Personally I'm not that worried about a second shot as I suffered through the virus in November so this shot should work as a booster. I'm hoping that they give me a pass on the second shot. Good luck all.
Hit the nail on the head with this @cls . We're in the slow boat here in Saskatchewan too. For booking vaccinations we're at age 55 right now but yesterday the drive-through in Regina opened up for 50-54 years olds so I jumped in my trucked and headed for the city. Waited 1 hour and 20 minutes for the Pfizer shot. Was impressed with the efficiency but was also told it could take up to four months to get the second shot. Just have to wait for everyone to get first shots and then listen for them to announce my age group again. Have a sore arm today!

Reactions: cls
@whitetail I'll have to get my wife to read your explanation. She is stressing herself out over Covid, but when they announce her age group for vaccination she says she hasnt decided if she'll get it because all the horror stories about the vaccines has her just as scared. I am really pushing her to get it and I think yoyr post will help.

T
Thanks for all that. I've had a long career in the dairy industry and am exposed to lots of discussions around vaccines so definitely have heard what you are saying regarding the T cells. Etc. The other thing is listening to you, my BS meter is staying flat;)

I just got out if the Hospital for Covid-19. I'm in about a month now from initial infection. It was maybe 50/50 two weeks ago that I survived this thing and I am not the demographic that is supposed to get so sick from it.

But back home doing well and planning about 5 weeks in Tanzania this fall, hunting and touring. So yea, hear you on living!!! :)

Wow, had no idea, glad you are feeling better. I totally agree with getting on with life. My wife and I are vaccinated and tired of worrying about this crap.

T

Glad to hear you’re on the mend buddy!!! And so great to hear you’re planning over a month in Tanzania this fall- super jealous!!! I was able to make it to Namibia last October to meet up with Mr Spots (he wasn’t happy to meet up with me tho )- it was so refreshing to get over to be with my best friends @JKOSafaris and Chris Esterhuizen (cameraman)and living life!! Tanzania is on my list for sure- bravo!!!

Thank you Whitetail. 100% agreed with your grandpa. I have been choosing the first one since 2005. I am a hard core scuba diver and travel the world to dive, and a motorcyclist as well and took several trips with the wife with other couples to Utah, Grand Canyon, Arizona, etc. Now I am more focus with hunting. I am booked for June 26 till July 9 for South Africa. Just need to figure out the PCR Test before we leave. My PH is telling me there is so many animals in his hunting concessions to the point they are killing each other. 5 Sables died so far killed by a Sable bull.

In post #118, I told of my wife’s experience and in post #147, of my first shot. Yesterday afternoon, I received my second Moderna vaccine. I may have been a little tired, but other than that, no side effects.
The nurse that administered the shot recommended that I drink plenty of water and that at the first sign of side effects, take a couple of Tylenol. I followed her instructions with regard to hydration and popped a couple of Tylenol as a preventive measure.

T

Glad to hear you’re on the mend.

Damn Bob wondered why I haven't heard from you much lately. Glad you beat this thing.
T

T

Oh man. So sorry to hear that, but so very glad you are on the mend!

And Bob - you and I do have that age thing ....... just saying. ;)

Thank you for input Trogon. It looks like this is your first time to SA. You will have a great time there.
Thank you. Can't get here soon enough.

Oh man. So sorry to hear that, but so very glad you are on the mend!

And Bob - you and I do have that age thing ....... just saying. ;)
Joe I'm still not supposed to be old enough to get hit that hard. But someone significantly younger died in ICU the day I got moved up a floor. It just whacked my entire immune system.

And the real kick is, I would have been vaccinated the end of that week I got it....

Just hearing they are stopping the J&J vaccine due to blood clot issues. Have also been hearing anecdotal stories of women having double periods, or post-menopausal women beginning spotting again. Odd stuff.

Pausing it, but not revoking the emergency authorization. From the news today, it sounds like this is going to interrupt the other's supply chain for a little while. Not the news we want to hear when there is hesitancy, spiking cases, and new mutations.

A doctor from NYU was quoted on CNBC today “You’re much more likely to clot from the real Covid-19 virus, which is about 1 in 20 people hospitalized or even 1 in 100 recovering at home. That’s far more likely,”

Just another day in the life of a pandemic

Received second Pfizer shot two weeks ago. No side effects other than a sore shoulder for a day after the second one. Headed to Namibia next week and I’m wishing the vaccination was widely accepted for international flights and entry. It hasn’t been easy finding labs that can accommodate the PCR testing requirements. PH tells me its not difficult in Windhoek (we’ll see) but it took some searching in PA...

T

Glad you are out and doing better.

In regards to demographics it seems really strange, seems like a crap shoot. One of my employees (64, overweight, high blood pressure) had a real mild case of it, another (45, fit, healthy) was sicker than a dog for over a month. Who knows?

Pausing it, but not revoking the emergency authorization. From the news today, it sounds like this is going to interrupt the other's supply chain for a little while. Not the news we want to hear when there is hesitancy, spiking cases, and new mutations.

A doctor from NYU was quoted on CNBC today “You’re much more likely to clot from the real Covid-19 virus, which is about 1 in 20 people hospitalized or even 1 in 100 recovering at home. That’s far more likely,”

Just another day in the life of a pandemic
Apparently six blood clotting events out of roughly 6 million doses.

I hunt with a guy in his early 40’s that got it from his teenage son. Never
Really got sick but he has been without taste or smell since September. It’s a very strange and random virus for sure.
I’m glad you are all getting on well with the vaccine!

Had my second dose of Phizer this afternoon. So far, no symptoms at all other than a slightly sore shoulder. I didn't have any adverse reaction to the first shot, so I really don't expect much on this one either, but I'll update if any symptoms rear their head.

I hunt with a guy in his early 40’s that got it from his teenage son. Never
Really got sick but he has been without taste or smell since September. It’s a very strange and random virus for sure.
I’m glad you are all getting on well with the vaccine!
Funny I'd see this post this evening,I spoke with a woman this morning about her daughter, a young woman in her 30s who had COVID in Sept. Still has not recovered taste and smell. The daughter was fairly sick with it.

Had my second dose of Phizer this afternoon. So far, no symptoms at all other than a slightly sore shoulder. I didn't have any adverse reaction to the first shot, so I really don't expect much on this one either, but I'll update if any symptoms rear their head.

Tomorrow might be a different story. Most people I know who have had a reaction (I use this term loosely because it's really just the body doing what it does) have had it on day 2 or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg