My .458 journey...

That was a good read, I enjoyed it, and my own trifles with this round are similar. Not sure but I think I have owned at least 3 model 70's, two Ruger 77's, and now await the return of a Whitworth Express back from the smiths to cure its feed and eject ills. Yep, sad to say it somehow escaped the factory in a most unreliable condition.
When I first got it home last year, it was found to have stock damage inside with all the wood behind the recoil lug cracked severely and in need of repairs. I took those repairs on myself, and while initial load testing was going well it was discovered that feeding was very rough and ejection was spotty at best, extraction was never a problem however.
I sent it back to Gostomskis Shop in Maryland and was informed a few days ago that its ready and working fine now. I look forward to getting it back.
Its a very early first year (1974) Zastava Whitworth Express with barrel markings I have never seen on any other Whitworth and I own another one in .375 and have seen many others.

Thanks for the entertaining story!
IMG_1788.JPG
IMG_1750.JPG

@ Idmay375
I can buy 25 cal swift Aframes cheaper than Barnes in Oz at the moment. Go figure
Bob.
From what I see here. The Barnes which are available at times, in random calibers:
The .308’s for example have increased almost $10 per box, compared to pre-panic buying.
A few days ago, I paid $70 something for a box of 50ea, .458, 400 grain, Swift A-Frames.

Last edited:
What a story! Loved it - and so loyal to the 458 Win. Have 2 customs from Kudu one a 375 and the other a 404J. Bob's brilliant!

Hope you continue to enjoy your 458!
Hey guys,

I'm at home sick (not Covid!) and I'm bored so I thought I'd share my .458 journey with you all. :)
I have personally owned 5 .458's over the years but my latest one is a keeper. Every time I've sold one I have ended up regretting it so I'm not selling this one!

My first .458 I bought after reading an article in Australian Shooters Journal magazine by John Woods.
It was a CZ550 Safari Magnum with the hogsback stock. I fitted it with a Tasco 1-4x scope (hey, I didn't know any better at the time... but the scope survived!) and it was a nice rifle.
It didn't feed that well but it was my introduction to big-bores.
I fed this rifle a mixture of Winchester 510gn Super X ammo and some reloads consisting of the 300gn Sierra on top of a min load of AR2207 for a chronographed 2650fps.
My intention was to originally ream this .458 to the .458LOTT - and I even got a quote for this job off a gunsmith, but when I found I was easily getting the velocity I was after out of the standard .458, I kept it as is, thus starting my love affair with the .458 Winchester.
I owned this rifle for a while but I found that my reloads and factory ammo didn't feed through the mag that well, and instead of getting it fixed I eventually ended up selling the rifle... which I regretted.
View attachment 411395

The second .458 was also a CZ550 but with the American style stock.
I spent a bit of coin on this rifle, sending it to the respected gunsmith/ gun maker Kudu Services in Melbourne for some custom touches.
I had the fore-end shortened and a buffalo horn tip fitted for that safari look. Also has a couple of cross-bolts fitted and the action smoothed out as it wouldn't feed at all when first purchased. The barrel was shortened to 21" and a barrel-band sling swivel was added.
It was topped with a Pentax 2.5 scope.
This was a really nice looking rifle and was my introduction to hand loading long to suit the magnum sized magazine of the CZ.
A very easy load of AR 2206H achieved a spot on 2150fps with the 500gn Woodleigh PP through the 21" barrel.
I ended up selling this rifle to a well known gun writer in Australia to fund my next .458 purchase...
Looking at the photo's of this rifle I probably shouldn't have sold it...
View attachment 411400

My next .458 I purchased was a Winchester M70.
This was a great rifle but before I owned it, it was apparently a bit of a lemon.
I remember reading on forums about this actual rifle and how it had to be rectified to make it work satisfactory.
So when I purchased it I felt like I knew it already.
I fitted the same Pentax 2.5 scope to it and I fed this rifle the same loads I fed through the CZ - except they were too long. So what I did was seat the projectiles of these reloads deeper so that they would fit in the Winchester mag.
These rounds were very compressed and chronographed over 2200fps and kicked accordingly.
I ended up regretfully selling this rifle as I needed the funds and it just wasn't being used. I can happily say though that I have kept track of it and it's still going strong and killing the hell out of big stuff up in Queensland.
I regret selling that rifle...
View attachment 411396

After selling the Winchester there was a void in my life because I no longer owned a rifle that could kill an elephant... so I rectified that by buying a Zastava M70 with the Walnut stock.
I bought this rifle from a gunshop in Queensland (who were very rude) and was informed that this rifle was on its second stock - having split the first one before a box of shells had been put through it.
I was then rudely informed that if the second stock split it was my problem. I bought it anyway as the price was right.
I paid $700 for this rifle and straight away took it to Bob at Kudu Services again to get the stock strengthened, cross-bolted and to get a buffalo horn tip fitted.
Bob took one look at the stock and in his usual blunt, to the point style said it was a waste of his time and my money doing that work as the stock was rubbish!
He then went out the back and brought out a Hogue pillar bedded synthetic stock and said I was better off fitting that. I left the rifle with him to fit as the safety needed modifications.
This rifle also taught me a valuable lesson to having to buy quality scopes for big-bore rifles - as it chewed through 3 before I finally bought a Leupold 2-7x33 which survived.
I fed this rifle a reload consisting of the Woodleigh 480gn RNSP over 74gn of 2206H which delivered a spot-on 2150fps and cloverleafed 3 shots at 50m.
This rifle was built on a budget and I have to say that it fed and ejected flawlessly from the start - no 'smithing was needed.
View attachment 411392

It was about this time that deer hunting became my passion and as good as the .458 was, it wasn't the ideal deer rifle.
So I ended up trading the Zastava for a Weatherby Vanguard in .300Wby to a young guy who worked at a gunshop I frequent.
Talking to the guys who work there, apparently he took it out once - with my reloads, fired some and promptly said 'stuff that' then sold it!
Who would've thought that an elephant gun kicked???
But inevitably that void of not owning a .458 soon hit me, so I began the search for another one.
My poor wife agreed with the one proviso this was to be my last .458...
I was chatting to a friend who put me onto some leads, but when googling I found that Owen's guns in Queensland had some brand new. And for only $940.
I quickly purchased one and I now owned my 5th and last .458.
The first thing I needed to do was replace the stock as experience told me that this would be necessary. I put out the feelers on Australia's largest shooting/ hunting forum that I was after synthetic stock to suit a FN Mauser and straight away found another Hogue stock - but this one had the full aluminium bedding block, not just the pillars.
After modifying the safety myself (a simple 5min job) the Hogue was fitted and it was awesome. Nice and stiff and free floated.
After my learnt lesson with scopes last time, I straight away purchased a Leupold 1.5-4 in Leupold mounts/ rings.
I was told by a big-bore expert that these mounts weren't up to scratch so they were replaced with Warne rings and mounts.
Even though the 480gn Woodleighs performed perfectly I wanted to try something different with this rifle, so I purchased some 550gn Woodleigh RNSP.
I contacted Geoff McDonald of Woodleigh and he said to try 73gn of BM2 (BENCHMARK) for around 2100fps.
This I did and got a chronographed 2080fps in my rifle... pretty close! I got a total spread of 4 fps!
Recoil was pretty noticeable (sucked) with this load but it did put bullets in the same hole at 50m.
To be absolutely honest this load, in this rifle, calculated to 80ft/lbs and exceeded my recoil tolerance shooting off the bench. Off hand its unpleasant, but manageable... just.
I haven't tried this load on game yet, but I think it's obvious that it'll be pretty effective putting out 5200ft/lbs of energy.
I actually think that this latest Zastava might be my favourite. It just feels perfect in my hands and I love everything about it.
This one's a keeper.
View attachment 411394

When I purchased my latest Zastava and went to purchase some factory ammo I found out that Winchester had stopped making it's cheap Super X stuff with the 510gn Powerpoint. Brass - when you could find it was expensive and this left me with a dilemma... what to feed it!
I called around and luckily came across someone who had an unopened case of some .458 factory ammo... from the 80's! It was the white and orange box stuff and I wondered if it would still be ok?
Well, not only was it ok it also was the fastest factory ammo I'd personally ever fired through a .458.
Most factory stuff - even fired through a 25' barrel of a CZ, only reached around 1970fps, where this stuff was doing 2015fps. This was only 25fps less than the box said. It was also super consistent and super accurate (like all .458's are) once again putting 3 bullets in one hole at 50m.
To be truthful I only bought this ammo to shoot off as quickly as possible so I could use the empties, but this ammo was so good, I used it for all my deer hunting for quite a while. I've only now just started using the 550's - but this stuff has proved to be great.
View attachment 411391

So there's my .458 story.
:)

I love the .458 and it is without a doubt my favourite round.
All the horror stories you have heard or read are ancient history and the .458 is a simple round to load. It's also super accurate.

Hope I didn't bore you and thanks for reading!

Russ

View attachment 411390
550gn Woodleigh handload at just under 2100fps... When you absolutely, positively need to put something on it's bum!

View attachment 411389
2 factory Super X rounds that completely penetrated a big Gum tree at 50m... coz everyone knows the .458 doesn't penetrate...
View attachment 411399

480gn Woodleigh vs Fallow at 150m

View attachment 411393
Sambar taken with the .458 loaded with factory stuff

View attachment 411397
My first Red taken with the .458 in miserable conditions... also with factory ammo

View attachment 411398
Needs no explanation...

That was a good read, I enjoyed it, and my own trifles with this round are similar. Not sure but I think I have owned at least 3 model 70's, two Ruger 77's, and now await the return of a Whitworth Express back from the smiths to cure its feed and eject ills. Yep, sad to say it somehow escaped the factory in a most unreliable condition.
When I first got it home last year, it was found to have stock damage inside with all the wood behind the recoil lug cracked severely and in need of repairs. I took those repairs on myself, and while initial load testing was going well it was discovered that feeding was very rough and ejection was spotty at best, extraction was never a problem however.
I sent it back to Gostomskis Shop in Maryland and was informed a few days ago that its ready and working fine now. I look forward to getting it back.
Its a very early first year (1974) Zastava Whitworth Express with barrel markings I have never seen on any other Whitworth and I own another one in .375 and have seen many others.

View attachment 411448View attachment 411450
Nice rifle. I have 2ea in 375 H&H. One older and one newer. And one in 458 Winchester. I have had another one in 458 Winchester years ago, and a few others in 375.
I have yet to see one Not cracked as you describe and several with cracks behind the tang. This includes my present three, regarding behind the recoil lug.
I have had a couple that magazine / follower springs needed a little tweaking.
I like the rifles, but glass bedding the stocks seems to be a definite necessity. Certainly not a bad idea on any rifle, in
My opinion.

Hey, you're welcome :)
And, thanks for the reply! (y)

Russ

anything but boring your story.Thank you.
I am convinced,here is no member more in the forum the problem time of the 458 really experienced..They must have already hunted 60 years ago on DG.....
In the late 60's -1980's,when Kynoch was as dead as an old dry dog biscuit,one would have looked pretty old in Africa without the good ,cheap and accurate .458 Win.Mag
The old African literature is well filled with failures and misfires of the Big Bore Kynoch ammunition.
No one crows about it anymore (probably all are already dead).

458 Win Mag-keep on

Interesting barrel markings? Nice stock on your rifle.

What a story! Loved it - and so loyal to the 458 Win. Have 2 customs from Kudu one a 375 and the other a 404J. Bob's brilliant!

Hope you continue to enjoy your 458!

Bob is brilliant - but he's a grumpy bugger!
He also did a .375 for me. It was a .375H&H and he converted it to .375WBY.

Thanks for your reply and I'll always stay loyal to the .458! (y)

Russ

Thanks for sharing the 458 story, you shouldn't have sold that 2nd one for sure.

Here is a couple of picks of my CZ 550, 458 Lott I recently got the varnished removed and got the whole stock opiled huge difference.

8.jpg

With standard CZ Varnish and Factory trigger I had no work done on feeding just worked the rifle a bit with dunny loads.

9.jpg

Oil finish ist not the best wood but it feels and definetely looks better with a matt finish compared to the bright brown varnish.

10.jpg

I had this rifle now for just over an year it has shot a red hartebeest and zebra thus far and backing up a buffalo hunt next week. Might get a shot in at tne buffalo and then my lioness hunt in September coming up.

Have fired over 250 rounds through it now and settled on using Norma203B powder which gives me great results. For hunting thus far I have used 480gr Woodleigh RN with speed of 2175fps but am going to test out this weekend Woodleigh 500gr PP bullets to hopefully reach 2250fps and settle there.

The 25" barrel doesnt bug me at all and it work great with the 1 MOA trijicon SRO reflex sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right Bob, the first shot definitely 'killed' the gum tree - the second shot was just a waste! :ROFLMAO:
I think the correct wording should be it was an insurance shot- it is always the dead ones that get up and kill you (I think that is a Capstick quote)

Thanks for sharing the 458 story, you shouldn't have sold that 2nd one for sure.

Here is a couple of picks of my CZ 550, 458 Lott I recently got the varnished removed and got the whole stock opiled huge difference.

View attachment 411488

With standard CZ Varnish and Factory trigger I had no work done on feeding just worked the rifle a bit with dunny loads.

View attachment 411489

Oil finish ist not the best wood but it feels and definetely looks better with a matt finish compared to the bright brown varnish.

View attachment 411490

I had this rifle now for just over an year it has shot a red hartebeest and zebra thus far and backing up a buffalo hunt next week. Might get a shot in at tne buffalo and then my lioness hunt in September coming up.

Have fired over 250 rounds through it now and settled on using Norma203B powder which gives me great results. For hunting thus far I have used 480gr Woodleigh RN with speed of 2175fps but am going to test out this weekend Woodleigh 500gr PP bullets to hopefully reach 2250fps and settle there.

The 25" barrel doesnt bug me at all and it work great with the 1 MOA trijicon SRO reflex sight.

Hey, that looks fantastic!
I bet you feel those 500gn Woodleigh's when you shoot them!

Hey, that looks fantastic!
I bet you feel those 500gn Woodleigh's when you shoot them!
I'll let you know after tomorrow.
But if anything survives that with a proper shot placement you need a canon.

I have had one .458 that I let go that haunts me. It was a #1 rifle that did not have a rear sight and was going for a song. I should have bought it then and there, but I was not into the caliber at the time. So I purchased only my .375 #1 and shot it for a bit until I just had to have something bigger. Good old Nosler and their safari ammo fire sale sealed the deal. They were selling .458Lott at ridiculous prices so I decided I had to have one after buying 200 rounds of ammunition. I searched a few hidey holes a dug up a NIB Ruger # 1 in .458 Lott 1 of 13 made in the configuration of walnut and stainless. Unlike Russ I realized that I had a difficult to find rifle from the outset and have never even considered letting it go. I still wonder what might have been had I bought the two rifles at the beginning.

I think the correct wording should be it was an insurance shot- it is always the dead ones that get up and kill you (I think that is a Capstick quote)
Yep. Without "paying the insurance" with that second shot on the dead Gum tree, it could've fallen towards him and crushed him? Two shots are always better than one, especially when using the older Winchester ammo.

I know what you mean about the brown varnish ! I took the varnish off and oiled my 458 win mag Lott

IMG_6244.JPG
IMG_6246.JPG

Yep. Without "paying the insurance" with that second shot on the dead Gum tree, it could've fallen towards him and crushed him? Two shots are always better than one, especially when using the older Winchester ammo.
Na..... Melvins bolt action wants to be a double when it grows up !

View attachment 411488

View attachment 411489

View attachment 411490

I really like the oiled stocks vs. varnish. Just personal preference, but I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!