Mountain rifle

Dawg2019

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m looking for a lightweight rifle in 270 or 280AI for mountain hunting. My only issue is that I want a nice wood stock and most of these are all synthetic. I know wood adds weight, but I’m willing to carry the extra pound to have a rifle that’s nice to look at.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 6.56.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 6.56.31 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 6.56.32 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 6.56.32 AM Large.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 106
If you want to keep weight down and still have exquisite wood as a consideration, take a look at single shot stalking (Kipplauf) rifles. Examples would be the Blaser K95, Krieghoff Hubertus, Merkel K5 or if your budget will allow...Fanzoj KB-1.

If you want to keep weight down and still have exquisite wood as a consideration, take a look at single shot stalking (Kipplauf) rifles. Examples would be the Blaser K95, Krieghoff Hubertus, Merkel K5 or if your budget will allow...Fanzoj KB-1.

The K95 is a very tempting rifle!

What weight threshold are you trying to stay under?

I’m looking for a lightweight rifle in 270 or 280AI for mountain hunting. My only issue is that I want a nice wood stock and most of these are all synthetic. I know wood adds weight, but I’m willing to carry the extra pound to have a rifle that’s nice to look at.
I bought a Tikka super light and love it. Throw a nice wood stock on it and you aren’t out to much $$$

The K95 is a very tempting rifle!
Between that and the Krieghoff... Of course if I'm a billionaire tomorrow morning the Fanzoj would be in the vault.

Like I actually need any more rifles. :rolleyes:

I do not know what your budget is, but I very often see "pre-owned" rifles for sale at attractive prices. Someone (like me) will spend $5 or $10K on a custom rifle from a good maker and it resells for about half the price. I'd be tempted to find a nice Mauser or M70 custom in 270, 280, or similar on the used custom market OR a Kimber, Dakota, etc.

OR - get a Rem700 'mountain rifle' with a wood stock that won't be much money.

K95 in 7x65R now that would be the cats wiskers as far as a mountain rifle goes.....easy to strip and.carry easy to assemble frighfully accurate and.your wallet is the only thing determining how nice the plank is you have them fit.....

Krieghoff Hubertus is also a very good option

A Blaser K95 in 7x65R or in 7 mm Rem. Mag. is a phantastic mountain rifle. However, after having scratched that fancy stock on he rocks (or your gear) you will consider a Philistine synthetic.

A Blaser K95 in 7x65R or in 7 mm Rem. Mag. is a phantastic mountain rifle. However, after having scratched that fancy stock on he rocks (or your gear) you will consider a Philistine synthetic.
Scratches from hunting and regular use are a part of owning any firearm...wood or synthetic. Looking at those battle scars reminds me of the hunt, who was with me and how it all unfolded. In my mind, it's a good thing.

As for resale...I'll concern myself with that when the time comes. Until then I'll just enjoy the firearm.

We love the Merkel single shot rifles. I have a K3 in 30-06 and Mama has a K1 in 7x57R. Very accurate rifles and light weight. She has been using her K1 for opening weekend of deer season.

Safe shooting

I am going to repeat the recommendation for a Winchester M70, however, I don't believe it comes in .280AI. That would be my caliber of choice, just because of bullet selection for the 7mm. I have a standard .280 and it is an awesome caliber, although mine is in a Ruger No. 1 with the classic iron sights and barrel band sling swivel. I am not sure if you are interested in a single shot, but a ruger no.1 is a great rifle and if you get one that needs a little accurizing, it is well documented how to make these rifles shoot.

I can't help feeling that you are attempting to reinvent the wheel.

A Mannlicher-Schoenauer came in 6.5x54, which is the classic cartridge for this rifle, but later models were also chambered in .270. Here is an example. It is the finest bolt action sporting rifle ever made.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 8.30.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 8.30.29 AM.png
    571.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 8.30.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 8.30.30 AM.png
    562.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 8.30.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 8.30.33 AM.png
    520.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 8.30.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 8.30.36 AM.png
    446.1 KB · Views: 48

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you