Most Under Rated African Trophy

I must be missing the boat James, a 70 in moose is a giant.....never heard of a 86 incher! Moose is on the wish list for me. Sometime in the future.

Enysse

You need to get out more often...

I have seen 90 inch plus moose...with the tape measure on it...at a landing strip in the interior of Alaska... they are out there you just need to find them...

The rack i have has 16 inch paddles...brow tines that you could sit in...

He does have one devils horn though he is still my baby...

Enysse

I have seen 90 inch plus moose...with the tape measure on it...at a landing strip in the interior of Alaska... they are out there you just need to find them...

You talking "spread" distance or some kind of cumulative measurement of inches?

This thread is kind of spinning off course since the topic was "Most Under Rated African Trophy"

I don’t know about the cape bushbuck hunts. Took me 5 hunts and manage to get 3. 12.5,13 and 13.5 inches. This was for my collection. Hunted in the 'sandduine' near OysterBay for it has a reputation for big buck. Seen a 17incher from this area. The best time is dusk and this leaves you very little hunting time for the light fails quickly. This bush is so thick that walking through it is impossible. You have to keep an eye on the open patches and I am more the walk and stalk type. Glad I am done with the cape bushbuck. The hunts I will definitely do again are Lainsburg(moordenaars Karoo) Vaal Rhebuck and blueduiker with my 22Hornet.

Just got back 3 weeks ago. My top 2 animals were the Nyala and Bushbuck. Hunted East Cape. The Ph's comment was that they were 2 of the hardest animals to hunt in that region. One of the PH's said that Bushbuck was all he wanted to hunt when he had the opportunity. Loved the challenge. Bruce

Bruce, what area in the Eastern Cape is that? Bushbuck is difficult to hunt any day of the week, but Nyala? Hunting for Kudu on my last hunt, we saw 15 shooter Nyala bulls before 12. I suppose that is becasue the hunter did not have Nyala on his list.... Murphy's law

Marius, I hope I have your problems in a few weeks. 15 before noon. I'll tell you if Murphy visits when I have the Nyala tag in hand.

(and James I want you to PM that picture of that moose. "I'll be up to visit shortly")

Brickburn,
I must say that we are very blessed with the Nyala in their numbers. I think I will put a couple of Nyala in some packages at reduced prices for 2012 to try and sort the numbers out.
Hope you ahve an awesome trip!

Brickburn,
I must say that we are very blessed with the Nyala in their numbers. I think I will put a couple of Nyala in some packages at reduced prices for 2012 to try and sort the numbers out.
Hope you ahve an awesome trip!

Marius, PM Sent

Enysse

Well, I guess I'm use to the Boone and Crockett, scoring system and I know a 220 inch moose is a great one. I know length and width of the paddles, points and spread all come into play.

Most people characterize moose by he has a 60 inch spread with 4 brow points or 3 brow points, and he had tall paddles or big wide paddles..etc.

I'm sure you where in good moose territory. Just curius how you are measuring your moose?

To me the most under rated African trophy is the hyena when hunted on purpose. Next to the baboon IMO the hyena is the sharpest pencil in the box in Africa. Even in an area with lots of hyena getting them on bait is often a trick.

The Hartman Zebra in Namibian mountains was my toughest hunt as well. Tried without success for 2 days, and scored on the 3rd day.

The common bush duiker eluded me on 4 past trips and 4 different countries till last year in namibia which isn't considered a hot spot for them.I would rank the vaal rhebok as an underrated trophy,as most Americans don't even know they exist and are very challenging in their habitat.Sitatunga is on my bucket list,but getting real pricey now.

I wish James Grage would elucidate further on the moose question. I know beans about moose measuring and I am now curious.

Eland and Hyena in Wild Zim or Moz would be my preferred hunt if I could not afford DG. So these two get my vote for Best value and underrated.

I wish James Grage would elucidate further on the moose question. I know beans about moose measuring and I am now curious.

We measure them from tip to tip across the widest point and around here anything over 50" is good trophy, 60"+ is huge. There was one shot not far from my place last year that measured 68" that is now the new Ontario record and it was massive. I'm not sure how B&C measure so James must be talking about that type of scoring, not width of rack.

the bushbuck & waterbuck are 2 animals I consider underrated & have eluded me in my 2 safaris!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg