Wiley64

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Just got my model 70, arrived two months ahead of schedule, I couldn’t be more pumped. Looking at scope choices, I am very partial to 3-9x40 as that’s what I’ve always hunted with and have whacked animals both near and far. This scope is only offered in the vx freedom line from Leupold, and retails for $300. Am I nuts if I go this direction? Can the low end scope scope take the recoil from a 375? I would think it’s no worse than any muzzle loader right? Not trying to be a hero here just want a reliable setup for buff and plains game.

Consider the VX111 2.5-8x36. A much better scope in essentially the same power range. It has very good eye relief if that is important to you.

Consider the VX111 2.5-8x36. A much better scope in essentially the same power range. It has very good eye relief if that is important to you.
I have Leupold VXR Patrols 3-9x40 on my 375 and other rifles and have no problems. Many rounds through the 375 and no change.

Mine is spoiled. It wears a 2.5x24 vx-2 and 4.5-14 x40 vx-3. My vision was to take advantage of the cartridges long range capabilities on lighter game and also to provide a fast and precise sighting solution for closer shots on bigger game. With the QD Warne mounts, it's a zero and forget about it proposition.

I am with @WAB. The VX3 2.5x8 is a very nearly bomb-proof product for not much more money. The optics aren't in the same league as the higher end options, but they are good enough and the mechanics will not let you down.

What is the primary use of the rifle going to be? DG and PG. General purpose world wide hunting rifle?

on the low end as many have stated the 2.5-8 VXIII is about the best scope leupold makes.

On the higher end many different manufactures make a 1-8x that are just great on a 375, I have a Riton X7 1-8 on my Brno 602 qand the 2.5-8 VXIII on a M70.

What made you go with the model 70? How is it in hand? I am waiting on a Model 70 or Kimber Caprivi to pop up at the right time and caliber.
Capstick’s book, “Safari, the last adventure” referencing how he ended up with his own model 70 for personal use when a gifted gun/tip to another ph went sour. It feels very well made for the $. It had a longer length of pull than most of my guns, and I love the express sights, and it points very well. Won’t be able to shoot it until I heal up from my goose induced concussion, once I do I will offer a report.

What is the primary use of the rifle going to be? DG and PG. General purpose world wide hunting rifle?

on the low end as many have stated the 2.5-8 VXIII is about the best scope leupold makes.

On the higher end many different manufactures make a 1-8x that are just great on a 375, I have a Riton X7 1-8 on my Brno 602 qand the 2.5-8 VXIII on a M70.
General purpose world wide hunting rifle has a nice ring to it! I want to use it for my brown bear hunt, then I am due for Buffalo hunt, and still have some plains game on the menu. I will also be using it for whitetail in Texas this year, just to give it some reps.

Depending on where you hunt your brown bear it could be a 3 ft shot in the alder thickets to a 300 yard shot down the riverbank. For a buff 10-100 yards. and the whitetail's and hogs:) you will be well armed. either type of scope will work. As I have gotten older the mistakes of my youth keep reminding me of the advice a older gentelman gave me as a young lad on optics is to buy twice the scope you think you need, IE buy once and cry once. Irmember way to many bushnell, simmons, etc kinds of scopes and binos that just didn't cut it and have never regretted the higher end optics. Now I alway try and get the best glass that gives me the best performance in the right at sunrise or sunset in the shadows to get a shot that inferior glass just can't give you. Just about any glass will work in the bright sunlight but in the shadows and late/early that extra 15 minutes of ability to shoot could be the difference in a dream of a lifetime and a missed opportunity.

My 375 H&H wears a Nikon Monarch series 4-12 power scope. Like others, my eyes aren't the greatest, so I prefer extra magnification. When I shot my wildebeest in July, I think I had it set on maybe 6 times magnification. I did have a VX-3 1.5-5 on it, but them came my 416 Rem Mag and it now resides there.

Depending on where you hunt your brown bear it could be a 3 ft shot in the alder thickets to a 300 yard shot down the riverbank. For a buff 10-100 yards. and the whitetail's and hogs:) you will be well armed. either type of scope will work. As I have gotten older the mistakes of my youth keep reminding me of the advice a older gentelman gave me as a young lad on optics is to buy twice the scope you think you need, IE buy once and cry once. Irmember way to many bushnell, simmons, etc kinds of scopes and binos that just didn't cut it and have never regretted the higher end optics. Now I alway try and get the best glass that gives me the best performance in the right at sunrise or sunset in the shadows to get a shot that inferior glass just can't give you. Just about any glass will work in the bright sunlight but in the shadows and late/early that extra 15 minutes of ability to shoot could be the difference in a dream of a lifetime and a missed opportunity.
Well said! This makes me start to kick around the Swarovski z3 in 3-9x36 … it says it’s for “traditional firearms”- not sure if it means normal bolt actions or muzzle loaders but at $777 it’s a contender along with the 2.5-8 and the 2-12 lewpy.

Well said! This makes me start to kick around the Swarovski z3 in 3-9x36 … it says it’s for “traditional firearms”- not sure if it means normal bolt actions or muzzle loaders but at $777 it’s a contender along with the 2.5-8 and the 2-12 lewpy.

I have both the VX111 2.5-8x and the Z3 3-9x. There is very little to choose between the two. They seem to be the same class of scope to me. Neither can compare to the VX6, Z6 or Z8 lines.

I have both the VX111 2.5-8x and the Z3 3-9x. There is very little to choose between the two. They seem to be the same class of scope to me. Neither can compare to the VX6, Z6 or Z8 lines.
That’s extremely helpful, thank you

On my H&H length actions, in 375 and above, I prefer the straight tube scopes. Power ranges in the 1-4 / 1-6 with 30mm tubes and 24mm objectives. The straight tubes allow me to mount to my eye relief with standard mounts.
The 4,5,6x are all plenty for my use. But, different game animals, terrain, environmental conditions can be factors for a personal decision on enough X’s. I am more in the Wide field of view / low power corner.
I prefer a scope that gives me 90’ field of view or more for timber/thick cover / in your face type hunting. Though 60-70’ field of view is not a show stopper for me.
I find the Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42mm, non-illuminated Plex reticle a do-all type scope. This works for me as to any distance that I would shoot and any sized game animal that I will hunt. Any similar quality glass, power range, and field of view would work for me.
My preference is still the straight tubes on the longer actions. They also work well for my type of hunting on short actions also. Particularly with the upper range of 6x.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg