Military Surplus Rifles for Hunting

1917 Enfield 30-06 partially sporterized. Original barrel and action. Deadly with anything from 110 gr to 220 gr.

Right now 174/180gr .303 ammo is literally sold out in South Africa with the amount of people going hunting with them the last month or so. 150gr is getting there too.

@Major Khan
My dear friend Ponton did any of your clients ever use the 303 British cartridge for shikarees.
Your friend Bob
My Dear Bob , I am afraid that the .303 British caliber was a “ Prohibited Bore “ in India ( And also Pakistan and Bangladesh ) ever since the British colonial era . Even after India gained her independence in 1947 ... No body bothered to amend this draconian law .

My Dear Bob , I am afraid that the .303 British caliber was a “ Prohibited Bore “ in India ( And also Pakistan and Bangladesh ) ever since the British colonial era . Even after India gained her independence in 1947 ... No body bothered to amend this draconian law .
@major Kahn
My dear friend Ponton that is a shame as the 303 is an underrated hunting cartridge.
Bob.

Why choose the 1917 over the 1903?
Both are magnificent rifles , Rick . I simply happen to have an extremely sentimental memory of a most mind blowing shikar ... Where my client used a sporterized Enfield Model 1917 and 220 grain Winchester Silver Tip soft point cartridges to accomplish all this :

B38CB306-BFA9-45AE-9A8E-DAAC25922E9E.png

@major Kahn
My dear friend Ponton that is a shame as the 303 is an underrated hunting cartridge.
Bob.
I did use a standard issue .303 British caliber Lee Enfield quite a bit ... During our 1971 Liberation War , Bob . Aside from using it against 2 legged quarry ... I also used it to secure countless Chital Deer and Bengal Bush Boars to supplement camp rations , while I was stationed in the Sundarban mangrove forests . I also used it to secure 2 royal Bengal tigers ( Which were attempting to attack our men ) and 25 Salt Water Crocodiles .

Our military standard issue ammunition consisted of 174 grain spitzer tipped “ Full Metal Jacket “ solid metal covered cartridges . How ever , we were also able to acquire a great deal of Remington brand 215 grain soft point cartridges from the officers working for the Sundarban Forest Department .

I did use a standard issue .303 British caliber Lee Enfield quite a bit ... During our 1971 Liberation War , Bob . Aside from using it against 2 legged quarry ... I also used it to secure countless Chital Deer and Bengal Bush Boars to supplement camp rations , while I was stationed in the Sundarban mangrove forests . I also used it to secure 2 royal Bengal tigers ( Which were attempting to attack our men ) and 25 Salt Water Crocodiles .

Our military standard issue ammunition consisted of 174 grain spitzer tipped “ Full Metal Jacket “ solid metal covered cartridges . How ever , we were also able to acquire a great deal of Remington brand 215 grain soft point cartridges from the officers working for the Sundarban Forest Department .
@major Kahn
My dear friend Ponton. My father used a 303 to hunt crocodiles and water buffalo in the mid to late 40s then went on to use one in Korea for 3 years of combat. His thoughts were you don't need anything bigger for hunting anything in Australia if you can shoot properly. He thought it was to much gun for the average Australian hunter. Oh how things have changed.
Your friend Bob.

I've got a Parker Ballard 30.06 that has an old Mauser action my father bought me for my first deer rifle. I really like it and have only seen two other Parker Ballards in use. It shoots 180 grain trophy bonded tips pretty well.

At least half the game in Africa has been taken with sporters built on military mausers.

then in the States a sizable amount with Springfield sporters.

in England and their colonies a fair amount with enfield sporters.

All good stuff. I’d imagine your Swiss gun would be a reliable, accurate hunting rifle.

I want to learn more about the 7.5x55 Swiss. It seems like a very well balanced round. I have always saved my brass (PPU) and will purchase dies to reload with one of these days.
FYI the Swiss used a super high ballistic coefficient bullet with the military ammo.

After many PMs with @Shootist43 discussing the many fine qualities of the 1896 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55, I recently purchased a sporterized one. The cock on close feature is very different feeling, so I might have this changed out. Other than that, sweet, soft recoiling rifle that is a pleasure to shoot and very accurate.

I had a WWI Swedish Mauser (sporterized) in 6.5x55 given to me by my Grandfather.
Shortened stock, barrel cut to ~18" and a Lyman peep sight installed one the receiver.
He bought it after WW2 and took several deer with it.
Before handing it to me, he said the headspacing is off and it shoots like crap now.
He handloaded (hot) and most likely shot out the barrel as much as I know he used it.
Thanks a lot Pop. :rolleyes:

It sat in my vault for years before I sold it.
I just didn't want to deal with the headspace issue and most likely a new barrel.
Part of me wishes I kept it, but the practical side says someone else is enjoying it now.

Hunted early on with w11 surplus Lee Enfield that had the forewood cut back and the same with the 98 Mauser but soon started to customise pre 1904 Enfields (Magazine Lee Enfields) and the pre war Mausers which still have a place in the hunting rifle selection for any hunt imagined.

I used the Mauser 98 in 30/06 for many years and then bought another.
I had both sportetized and I used a Weaver 4 power for a long time and then I went to Leupold (4 x fixed )
Both very good for the tasks but I ended up selling both and went to the 270.

G'day Doctor Ray

Quick question, why did you cross over to the .270,? Was it a recoil factor, or did you prefer the flatter trajectory and speed of the lighter bullets for the medium size deer species? Both calibers are great performers, though I do recall my friend complaining about the recoil of the .30-06 with 150 grain projectiles and above.

I still have and use my FN Mauser M98 Sporter in .30/06, and swear by it, but regrettably after having a minor head space problem rectified by a gun smith (whom made a few errors during the repair), it is no longer the beautiful African style sporter that it was. It is still effective, but I become sad when I look at it now, as it's just an everyday scoped rifle now, with a target barrel and no express sights, etcetera .:(

Regards

Rob

I preferred the 270
Flatter trajectory
More energy
Recoil - not a factor (I use a 338 46/70 375 416)
For medium game I use a 130 grain bullet
In my opinion (note) I view the 270 a a plains and mountain cartridge for reasonably long shots
I view the 30:06 for example as a great cartridge but feel that the 270 is better for the size of game - deer mainly
It’s a case of some people like white cars whilst sone like black
Personal preference

I want to learn more about the 7.5x55 Swiss. It seems like a very well balanced round. I have always saved my brass (PPU) and will purchase dies to reload with one of these days.
FYI the Swiss used a super high ballistic coefficient bullet with the military ammo.
Look up this video on YouTube. Very interesting.
Bullet Tech Talk GP-11 Secret Revealed

Possibly the most common in the US was/is the Springfield 1903 or 03-A3 either in original or sporterized form. Quite a few American military installations in the 50-60s would have Springfield 03 or 03-A3 loaners for use by GIs during hunting season. If done right, the US M1917 (aka the American Enfield) in sporterized form is hard to beat for a tough, sure enough hunting rifle. Unfortunately I have only shot and handled M1917s owned by others. I have owned and used several of the unmodified 03s and 03-A3s and if in 4 groove bore, they are very accurate and fully capable in original military form for hunting. If sporterized correctly, the high serial 03s and all the 03-A3s are every bit as capable and useful as say a Win M70.

The type military surplus rifle I've used the most for hunting is unusual in that it's quite a bit older than WW1 or WW2. I really like two originals for hunting- either a US M1841 54 cal rifle or a US M1863 contract 58 cal rifle musket. :)

My first deer rifle was a Mauser 98 carbine converted to 308 with Israeli markings. Traded that for a savage 99 in 308. Then bought a Swedish 6.5x55 Mauser 96. Traded that for my current mil surP a British 303 jungle carbine which I still use for nasty weather still hunts. Took a nice doe with it 2 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg