Merkel SxS??

CAustin
Would you have phone numbers for Birmingham outlet. My search is coming up blank and I would very much like to see it. Thanks so much
Jacques
Old question, but in case you still don't have the answer, this is what I have.
Merkel USA
2530 Morgan Road
Bessermer, Alabama 35022
205-417-8644
Web Site is MerkelUSA.com

CAustin
Would you have phone numbers for Birmingham outlet. My search is coming up blank and I would very much like to see it. Thanks so much
Jacques

Go on gunbroker.com and look up Merkel rifles. When you see the seller as guns of the south that's them. Email from there and set up an appointment. They are actually over in Bessemer.

I think the number sierraone listed is correct. I'm on the road and don't have it with me! You have to have an appointment

I've had my Merkel in 470 NE for 15 years the only thing I did was change the recoil pad, and I had Rolf Martini tune it before I went to Africa the first time. It was regulated fir Federal ammo. My first handloads where Barnes XLC 500 grain shot 1-1/4 inches apart at 50'Yards. My present load is Woodlieghs behind 85 grains of Reloader 15 and a Federal 215 primer, with 5 grains of filler. Shoots 1 inch apart at 50 yards

Thanks fellas for info
Planning to check them out. Weirdly enough a double 470NE is high on my bucket list

My outfitter in Oz had two Merkel doubles, 9.3x74R and 470N.E., he had good things to say about both of them. He owns a number of guns and doubles and knows his stuff. I hunted with his 470 and have been in love with doubles ever since. I've also had a pleasure of handling Merkel single shot rifles, one in 9.3x74R and the second one in something smaller. Both very pleasant handling guns.

I have a Merkel 141E in 9,3x74R. After I learned how to shoot it, I have fallen in love with it. It is light, handy and powerful. I have killed everything from springbok to eland with it at ranges from 20 yds to 220 yards. I picked the 9.3x74R as my first double for its power, availability of ammo and practical all around use.

I have put several hundred rounds through mine. Plus points: cost, accurate and this model can be regulated without a trip to a gunsmith. And it points and handles like my Merkel SxS 20 bore. Minus points: crappy recoil pad (replaced mine with a pachmayr) and the plastic grip cap.

Safe shooting.........Larry

All this talk about double rifles. Agh. To dream

Cabelas in Ft. Worth Tx has a Merkel 140 in 470 NE for $8999

Cabelas in Ft. Worth Tx has a Merkel 140 in 470 NE for $8999

Just saw that one Monday when down clearing some throphys through customs and fish and wildlife. It was the first double I have ever held. Feel in love. Told the wife I can’t live without it

It was the first double I have ever held. Feel in love. Told the wife I can’t live without it

Need a place to stay?

Need a place to stay?

Haha. Not yet. Luckily my wife is very supportive of buying firearms. Never says no or not to. Even has told be a time or two just keep that shotgun and buy the rifle. Don’t worry about trying to sell it. Got luck with finding her. But not sure how a $8k rifle would go over.

Haha. Not yet. Luckily my wife is very supportive of buying firearms. Never says no or not to. Even has told be a time or two just keep that shotgun and buy the rifle. Don’t worry about trying to sell it. Got luck with finding her. But not sure how a $8k rifle would go over.

Yeah I’m lucky with my wife too, though she does roll her eyes occasionally

I entered a post earlier about my Merkel .500 NE. Well, I would like to add a little more. Yesterday I was practising with it and had a double discharge. If you have ever had a double discharge from a .500NE you will agree with me that it certainly gets your attention. I couldn't figure out what happened until I turned the rifle on its side. The front trigger was bent right back against the rear trigger and was just touching it, so when I pulled the front trigger it would push against the rear trigger and so the double discharge. How the front trigger can bend like this is beyond me, because as far as I see the forces are working in the opposite direction. I ended up straightening the trigger and I'll be buggered if I can bend it with normal operation and giving it a bloody good squeeze. I heard about this once before happening but couldn't understand how it could possibly happen so just thought it was some made up crap you hear occasionally. Maybe it's because they are made on shotgun actions and the parts aren't up to it, who knows. Anyway I am fast loosing confidence with it and luckily I have been offered the sale of an English double rifle, which I will probably take.
I'm not a Merkel hater or anything like that, but I do believe in mentioning these sorts of issues. Now I'm fairly certain this wouldn't happen on their smaller doubles.
I am seeing this fault more and more

image.jpeg
Not my rifle , but someone I know Merkel .470

Not my rifle , but someone I know Merkel .470
A question about the picture. Do you know if Merkel warranty the repair?
And I am kinda of surprised the shooter didn't feel the position of his trigger change?
Thanks for posting. Very interesting.

They sell Steyr at that Merkel showroom 2. Would be nice to see some current production full stocked butter knife bolt handle classic models. Sigh !

They sell Steyr at that Merkel showroom 2. Would be nice to see some current production full stocked butter knife bolt handle classic models. Sigh !

It’s is a short trip down to Birmingham AL to see all the wonders of Styer and Merkel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.