Mauser M98 Magnum

treedog61

AH member
Joined
Jan 17, 2018
Messages
17
Reaction score
27
Location
South Mississippi
Who is hunting with a new Mauser? I see a lot of rifle brands mentioned except the Mauser. With offerings in 3 calibers, it should be the perfect safari rifle.
 
Looks like you are referring to the new production rifles. They are superb - but also a significant investment.
 
They look beautiful. I would have to handle one though. I couldn't just mail order one for that much money and see what it is like after I have already spent the money.
 
They are superb - but also a significant investment.
Investment...yes. Most certainly a significant investment.
Have to talk to the Department of Finance about just such an investment...
...it will not go well.
 
Had my hands on the M98 in 416 Rigby at the Toronto Sportsman Show in March. I was very well balanced with a butter smooth bolt and very nice walnut stock. I didn't even ask "how much", learned a long time ago if you have ask, chances are you can't afford it! :S 2 Cents::S 2 Cents::S Beat Dead Horse:
 
I certainly will never own one, but the M98 in 416 Rigby is the epitome of the “safari rifle”, to me. There are many fine rifles on the market, but the original is hard to beat.
 
I’ve seen these priced from $6k or so to $40k. I was told it’s basically the same gun offered by Rigby and now Purdey, they just finish them.
 
I was told it’s basically the same gun offered by Rigby and now Purdey, they just finish them.
Wait a minute.
Are you saying that the Rigby and Purdey bolt action rifles are made in the same plant?
That Purdey takes a "basic" Rigby and spices it up with engraving?
Or are the designs very similar, but are individually made?
 
Wait a minute.
Are you saying that the Rigby and Purdey bolt action rifles are made in the same plant?
That Purdey takes a "basic" Rigby and spices it up with engraving?
Or are the designs very similar, but are individually made?
I was told by a fine gun shop that sells all three that the action is the same built in the same plant in Germany and is sent out for finishing. I also recently read that Rigby and Mauser are both owned by the same holding company. No idea if the info is true but they seem to be legit and stock all of the guns....
 
Rigby has been making their bolt action rifles on actions made by Mauser since the beginning. I’d guess that Purdey is now doing the same (likely Westley Richards, too, and all of the other, fine English makers).

The Mauser rifles are sweet, and expensive. Really, they’re about as good as the better stuff coming out of England (and the States). It’s just a matter of which you prefer, which style and whose name you want cut on the barrel.
 
It’s just a matter of which you prefer, which style and whose name you want cut on the barrel.
Exactly right.
IMO - When you get to that upper, UPPER crust of firearms - quality isn't the issue - or at least it better not be.
It's who's name you want on your rifle, or maybe having the same brand as your Dad, Grandfather...etc
Customer service also plays a role, but some people will suffer with bad customer service for a brand (Hello Porsche owners).
Or it could just look pretty and there you go.

Thank you for the education on Mauser/Rigby/Purdey.
 
I was told by a fine gun shop that sells all three that the action is the same built in the same plant in Germany and is sent out for finishing. I also recently read that Rigby and Mauser are both owned by the same holding company. No idea if the info is true but they seem to be legit and stock all of the guns....

Purdey is an independent company. It has a new (and less expensive, that being quite relative!) bolt action said to be entirely made in the UK. The more traditional - and much more expensive - bolt action rifle still carries a Mauser action I believe.

The company we now know as Rigby was resurrected in London after a debacle in California. It was later bought by Blaser, who own it now. The actions for the bolt actions are Mauser M98, made by Mauser in Germany, and shipped to England, where they are used too make the Rigby rifles. This is in fact entirely authentic to history - the original .416 Rigbys were made with Mauser-made M98 type actions.

I own a Rigby-made .416 Rigby with the M98 action. Needed a bit of work out of the box, but it is as well made and well-balanced a rifle as I have seen (especially without the scope). I had a CZ in .416 Rigby and sold it because I refused to take the pounding it gave me. This rifle is much better balanced and much more manageable.

While the actions for both the upper-end Purdey and the Rigby's are made in Germany, the rifles are "made" in England, and you can visit the factories and watch the craftsmen work on them. These are truly "English" rather than "Continental" types of rifles.

I believe Mauser is also owned by Blaser, with all of these companies, and more, under the SIGARMS company.

I believe this is all correct, but I stand to be corrected if someone has better knowledge.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,572,954
Members
169,661
Latest member
henetwplodor1984
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top