Mauser M98 Magnum

treedog61

AH member
Reaction score
Who is hunting with a new Mauser? I see a lot of rifle brands mentioned except the Mauser. With offerings in 3 calibers, it should be the perfect safari rifle.

Looks like you are referring to the new production rifles. They are superb - but also a significant investment.

They look beautiful. I would have to handle one though. I couldn't just mail order one for that much money and see what it is like after I have already spent the money.

They are superb - but also a significant investment.
Investment...yes. Most certainly a significant investment.
Have to talk to the Department of Finance about just such an investment...
...it will not go well.

Had my hands on the M98 in 416 Rigby at the Toronto Sportsman Show in March. I was very well balanced with a butter smooth bolt and very nice walnut stock. I didn't even ask "how much", learned a long time ago if you have ask, chances are you can't afford it! :S 2 Cents::S 2 Cents::S Beat Dead Horse:

I certainly will never own one, but the M98 in 416 Rigby is the epitome of the “safari rifle”, to me. There are many fine rifles on the market, but the original is hard to beat.

I’ve seen these priced from $6k or so to $40k. I was told it’s basically the same gun offered by Rigby and now Purdey, they just finish them.

I was told it’s basically the same gun offered by Rigby and now Purdey, they just finish them.
Wait a minute.
Are you saying that the Rigby and Purdey bolt action rifles are made in the same plant?
That Purdey takes a "basic" Rigby and spices it up with engraving?
Or are the designs very similar, but are individually made?

Wait a minute.
Are you saying that the Rigby and Purdey bolt action rifles are made in the same plant?
That Purdey takes a "basic" Rigby and spices it up with engraving?
Or are the designs very similar, but are individually made?
I was told by a fine gun shop that sells all three that the action is the same built in the same plant in Germany and is sent out for finishing. I also recently read that Rigby and Mauser are both owned by the same holding company. No idea if the info is true but they seem to be legit and stock all of the guns....

Rigby has been making their bolt action rifles on actions made by Mauser since the beginning. I’d guess that Purdey is now doing the same (likely Westley Richards, too, and all of the other, fine English makers).

The Mauser rifles are sweet, and expensive. Really, they’re about as good as the better stuff coming out of England (and the States). It’s just a matter of which you prefer, which style and whose name you want cut on the barrel.

It’s just a matter of which you prefer, which style and whose name you want cut on the barrel.
Exactly right.
IMO - When you get to that upper, UPPER crust of firearms - quality isn't the issue - or at least it better not be.
It's who's name you want on your rifle, or maybe having the same brand as your Dad, Grandfather...etc
Customer service also plays a role, but some people will suffer with bad customer service for a brand (Hello Porsche owners).
Or it could just look pretty and there you go.

Thank you for the education on Mauser/Rigby/Purdey.

I was told by a fine gun shop that sells all three that the action is the same built in the same plant in Germany and is sent out for finishing. I also recently read that Rigby and Mauser are both owned by the same holding company. No idea if the info is true but they seem to be legit and stock all of the guns....

Purdey is an independent company. It has a new (and less expensive, that being quite relative!) bolt action said to be entirely made in the UK. The more traditional - and much more expensive - bolt action rifle still carries a Mauser action I believe.

The company we now know as Rigby was resurrected in London after a debacle in California. It was later bought by Blaser, who own it now. The actions for the bolt actions are Mauser M98, made by Mauser in Germany, and shipped to England, where they are used too make the Rigby rifles. This is in fact entirely authentic to history - the original .416 Rigbys were made with Mauser-made M98 type actions.

I own a Rigby-made .416 Rigby with the M98 action. Needed a bit of work out of the box, but it is as well made and well-balanced a rifle as I have seen (especially without the scope). I had a CZ in .416 Rigby and sold it because I refused to take the pounding it gave me. This rifle is much better balanced and much more manageable.

While the actions for both the upper-end Purdey and the Rigby's are made in Germany, the rifles are "made" in England, and you can visit the factories and watch the craftsmen work on them. These are truly "English" rather than "Continental" types of rifles.

I believe Mauser is also owned by Blaser, with all of these companies, and more, under the SIGARMS company.

I believe this is all correct, but I stand to be corrected if someone has better knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross