Making my way to irons

Attachments

• McLaughlin's African Plains Cocking Piece Sight — McLaughlin Metalworks.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 43
I love open sights. But I’m 57 years old and need readers now. However, I can still shoot groups between 2 and 3inch at 100 yards with a peep due to only needing to focus on the front sight that I can still see clearly. If you haven’t used an aperture sight don’t worry about the peep and focus on the front sight your brain will center it automatically in the peep and you’ll only mess up worrying about it.
I got a nice surprise when my wife gave me a new 458wm in the Winchester Safari Express for Christmas and I discovered that I’m able to shoot it well with the factory rear leaf sight. Well enough that I plan to take it next safari without a scope.
I spend a lot of time dry fire practicing and like the “range comparison chart” attached which can be found online and when viewed from only 5 feet is supposed to accurately represent the size of game at 100-500 yards. I also have found when shooting for groups at ranges past 50 yards to forget bullseye holds and instead use a large black circle and a six o’clock hold indicated by the arrow on the attached target.
One thing worth mentioning is an aperture sight is tougher to use for moving game than a rear leaf and a larger ghost ring is advisable if hunting game that you’re likely to only have a moving shot on.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Started my hunting career with a Cooey Ace 22 single shot with open sites, got good enough to do head shots on rabbits and partridge. View attachment 578692
Still have this rifle today.
Shot police pistol for a few years as well which really helped get a good site picture with iron sights. Still shoot my 44 Ruger carbine with a rear peep site as seen in the ugly and bubba rifle thread. However approaching 60 my arms are getting to short to read, so a scoped rifle brings a little more clarity to the hunt than iron sites.
I actually have one of these in my gun cabinet right now.

Hello Pheroze.

Refer to my Avatar as to my vote on hunting with iron sights.

And despite my fondness for traditional “express sights”, on double rifles, nonetheless, I totally agree with IvW regarding the “ghost ring” rear sight, definitely installed as close to one’s eye as is safe from recoil.
Indeed it is super fast when needed in tight corners and yet amazingly precise at longer distances than inexperienced shooters would ever suspect.

Anyway Pheroze, I predict that you are going to experience some wonderful experiences while hunting via iron sights.
I look forward to your writing about same.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I love open sights. But I’m 57 years old and need readers now. However, I can still shoot groups between 2 and 3inch at 100 yards with a peep due to only needing to focus on the front sight that I can still see clearly. If you haven’t used an aperture sight don’t worry about the peep and focus on the front sight your brain will center it automatically in the peep and you’ll only mess up worrying about it.
I got a nice surprise when my wife gave me a new 458wm in the Winchester Safari Express for Christmas and I discovered that I’m able to shoot it well with the factory rear leaf sight. Well enough that I plan to take it next safari without a scope.
I spend a lot of time dry fire practicing and like the “range comparison chart” attached which can be found online and when viewed from only 5 feet is supposed to accurately represent the size of game at 100-500 yards. I also have found when shooting for groups at ranges past 50 yards to forget bullseye holds and instead use a large black circle and a six o’clock hold indicated by the arrow on the attached target.
One thing worth mentioning is an aperture sight is tougher to use for moving game than a rear leaf and a larger ghost ring is advisable if hunting game that you’re likely to only have a moving shot on.

View attachment 578740

I can't find those dry fire "targets". If you have a link that would be appreciated. I do a lot of dry firing.

I have decided that 2024 will be the year of open sights for me. I have very limited experience with them, and none while hunting. So, this is the start of a journey.

I will see how comfortable I get at the range before heading to the field. However, I am inspired by articles like the one below. And, I find carrying my rifle without a scope is a joy. My 308 Norma Mag has a pop-up peep. For hunting up north I don't get many really long shots anyway. And, getting familiar with irons will allow me to get the most out of the express sights on my 400 H&H.

I would be interested to hear from folks about how they practice with open sights and how successful hunting is.
you sir have my respect! I wanted to do this on my new double but just could not feel confident enough so finally having JJ mill for a red dot

My dad taught me to shoot using a Remington bolt actjon 22 with a Lyman peep sight. I never had a scope on a gun until I was almost 30 years old. I went to scopes for about the next 30 years and now I find myself going back to irons. I have taken my last couple of deer using irons. Not going to give up all my scoped guns but irons will always have a place in my gun cabinet.

I can't find those dry fire "targets". If you have a link that would be appreciated. I do a lot of dry firing.
Hopefully this will work or you should be able to copy and paste it into your browser and get to it. I printed it on 8 1/2 x 11.

Attachments

• Revisiting Stan de Treville's Big Game Range Estimation Chart.pdf
    724.7 KB · Views: 27
I have a NECG ghost ring I'm bringing as a backup for my scope when I go to RSA in August. The problem is the front sight on my 9.3 is black. Anybody have any hi-viz paint recommendations I can put on the front sight?

Also, hood or no hood on the front sight? My rifle came with one, but I took it off.
I use bright colored nail polish. Works very well. If it dulls just add another coat.

Only thing I liked about the M 16 was the peep sights.

Be very careful, becoming an iron sight shooter is a slippery slope. Next thing you know and you are ditching your KUIU clothes!

you sir have my respect! I wanted to do this on my new double but just could not feel confident enough so finally having JJ mill for a red dot
Thank you. But, this is an experiment to see if I can gain some proficiency. Let's see if I get confident enough to put the practice to the test! I certainly hope so.

I have decided that 2024 will be the year of open sights for me. I have very limited experience with them

I would be interested to hear from folks about how they practice with open sights and how successful hunting is.
I get great satisfaction from using iron sights. As a child I was taught to shoot with both peep and open sights. I was in my teens before I even got to look through a scope.

As to practice. I just shoot in the local big game rifle competitions. Those competitions are mainly shot from the standing position out to 100 meters. That gives me a pretty good idea of what I’m capable of doing at normal hunting distances. If the light is right and the target clearly visible behind the front sight then 200 yards is within reason, generally.

Only real advice that I have is to zero your rifle, using a 6’clock hold on a target with a clearly seen aiming point. (Whilst you’re holding 6o’clock you want to point of impact to be the same as point of aim. ) practice on targets of an appropriate size aiming mark. At 25 yards that may be a 1 inch diameter mark. At 200 yards it is more likely to be a 6” to 8” diameter mark. You really need to be able to see it.

Good luck.

Good for you! I’m in the same boat, I never grew up on irons, but my new mission is to get proficient on them.

On my .35 Whelen I added a fiber front sight for better viz. I prefer to hunt with the hood off. I have had them get damaged so they are not foolproof.

8787FD01-5FF5-4CC2-9F2F-56B39AAFB8C6.jpeg

The NECG Ghost ring is rugged, reliable and attractive in my opinion.

2A9933F4-B512-4468-8BA6-9A3763F6BF0A.jpeg

Accuracy has been very good. Precise enough to connect on tiny little critters like this grey that got called out from the brush along the Rio Grande while we were trying to find a Javelina.

Got my .458 WM back this week from my ‘smith. It is a full 26” with no sights. Thinking serious about cutting it back and installing irons…just can decide between express style rears or a ghost ring setup.

Also this week finally found the correct aperture for an old FN Sporter .270. As soon as I get the right screws rounded up to mount it it will get some range time and possibly get to go on a hunting trip or two next year.

I love irons. Even setup this little .223 contender to carry on my hound hunts with a Williams ghost ring rear sight on a cut down 16.25” barrel. Had a guy botch a shot with his handgun and asked if he could use my little TC. Was glad to have it bouncing around in my backpack that day.

5BA18BAA-318C-49A8-A52F-0C4F3C822573.jpeg
IMG_6200.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time you go to the range take a quality 22LR and shot a box with irons. Practice off sticks and field expedient positions. then shoot several shots with the rifle you are taking on safari.

Every time you go to the range take a quality 22LR and shot a box with irons. Practice off sticks and field expedient positions. then shoot several shots with the rifle you are taking on safari.
My 22 doesn't have open sights, sadly. I do shoot it much more than my larger rifles. But now I need to find one with decent sights....wait 'till I try and explain this to the Mrs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoniaMedla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.