M70 Classic Super Express, 458 Winchester

ldmay375

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
M70 Classic Super Express, 458 Winchester.
961DC661-D330-41BC-8621-B8C7EB61C026.jpeg
91EAFFD4-B038-4C4A-AA25-FA2481E8A178.jpeg

I stumbled across this at the local gun store today. It was on consignment. I could not pass it up. I once had one in 375 H&H long ago.
But for some unrecalled reason sold it to a friend.
I like the 22” barrel of the 458 Winchester Super Express.

Very nice Idmay.
Great to see a resurgence in the .458 and great to see them in Winny's.

Very nice Idmay.
Great to see a resurgence in the .458 and great to see them in Winny's.
Paul T,
This is actually an older New Haven manufactured one. Though it looks dang near new, literally. By my scales, the rifle weighs 8.5 pounds with what appears Warne steel slotted bases. It feels pretty handy. It feeds the Hornady 500 grain DGX Bonded smoothly. It came with a full box of them.

But, it does appear that the 458 Winchester is finally earning a bit of appreciation in recent years.
The 416’s are probably my favorite above .375. But that is from a North American/Alaskan point of view.
I certainly will not argue against the 458 Winchester hitting big stuff harder.

Very nice, congrats!

Congratulations, the Super Express is a nice rifle. I thoroughly enjoy mine in 416 Rem, though it’s nowhere near as immaculate as your 458.

Congratulations, the Super Express is a nice rifle. I thoroughly enjoy mine in 416 Rem, though it’s nowhere near as immaculate as your 458.
This one certainly appears to have seen vet little use.
But, at least for me, if used other than the range they all receive there marks and wear. Which is a reason that I prefer stainless in my weather environment. The stainless is only a bead blast away from being refreshed to new.

I have mutter to myself several times for selling the Super Express in 375 that I had.

I like the 22” barrel of the 458 Winchester Super Express.
@Idmay375 Going to have to change that to Idmay458 now....

What a good old rifle. The very first Winchester M70 I ever owned, was one of these, exactly like yours! I bought it in Florence SC at a Gun Show in the early to mid-90s. I too loved the 22 inch barrel. Later this became a favorite rifle of mine, and used it in 2000 to take 3 lions, all with 400 Swift A Frames at 2325 fps. I had shot 100s and 100s of rounds through this gun. It was so beloved that in the early 2000s I had some close ties with Leslie Dengler, which was the boss at the time at the Winchester New Haven Custom Shop. I had two orders of those Winchester Big Five Series of guns the Custom shop was doing, and asked if Leslie would do a Lion Floorplate for me for this gun. She did of course, but minus the Big Five part of it...... but exactly the same Lion........

Here are two of those troublesome lions back in the day...... and the gun of course.....

MMLionsZim6-X3.jpg

And a little better photo of the rifle with this sable.....

MM%20Sable%201-X3.jpg

This was the beginning of my lessons of just how damn good .458 caliber is. And the reason I am michael458 even today, even after all the .500s I have developed, I am still michael458 and you can see why..........What fond memories of such a fine rifle, that cost me a total of $600 American dollars at the time...........

I loved this gun so much, at some point I had a fellow put some scratching on the receiver too. At some point later Wes at Accurate Innovations did a AI Stock for me too. Here is the rifle as it is today.

DSCN6644-X3.jpg
DSCN6647-X3.jpg
DSCN6649-X3.jpg

Its the only 458 Winchester I own now, and it is safely tucked away and protected in the safe.

As you see, it still retains the same 22 inch barrel, same iron sights........... If I could make a suggestion, should one day you choose to change anything, it would be the stock...... the modern AI stock handles the recoil so much better than the factory stock that came on those guns, which I believe was early 1990s........

Well done, very very well done...... Congratulations

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael458, I just had to speak up on behalf of your rifle, especially the stock. If you don't mind sharing, what did that gorgeous chunk of timber set you back? How long did it take for them to do the work? Are these guys still in business?

I have this rifle in 458 as well and it has never let me down! I guide with this rifle in Mozambique and it has been subjected to some very hard use. Where can I find replacment iron sights for this beauty and who sells replacment stocks for them? I should probably consider a composite, but if I can find a good wooden one I will consider that too. Any suggestions?

Michael458, I just had to speak up on behalf of your rifle, especially the stock. If you don't mind sharing, what did that gorgeous chunk of timber set you back? How long did it take for them to do the work? Are these guys still in business?
Accurate Innovations.......... I honestly don' t remember exactly what that stock cost, but with the checkering I would put it above $2000.............. and remember, these stocks have the full length aluminum chassis in them, recoil proof....... The perfect big bore stocks..... I have a lot of Winchesters in these stocks. Normally 3-4 months I suppose for them to do the work.......Yes, they are in business, Andrews NC.......

Where can I find replacment iron sights for this beauty and who sells replacment stocks for them? I should probably consider a composite, but if I can find a good wooden one I will consider that too. Any suggestions?
On all my newer builds I use New England Custom Gun (NECG) barrel band front sights, and adjustable rears.... of course these have to be install by a gunsmith. Above, Accurate Innovations can make you a wonderful laminated stock, with the aluminum chassis and its tough as nails.

Because of this chassis these guns are weather proof, as far as warping or moving, they will not, just as a side note for those in wetter conditions........

Sorry Idmay375... did not intend to highjack or sidetrack your thread, had hoped to enhance it.... Apologies...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 10.04.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 10.04.09 AM.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 10.04.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 10.04.12 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 65
Accurate Innovations.......... I honestly don' t remember exactly what that stock cost, but with the checkering I would put it above $2000.............. and remember, these stocks have the full length aluminum chassis in them, recoil proof....... The perfect big bore stocks..... I have a lot of Winchesters in these stocks. Normally 3-4 months I suppose for them to do the work.......Yes, they are in business, Andrews NC.......

On all my newer builds I use New England Custom Gun (NECG) barrel band front sights, and adjustable rears.... of course these have to be install by a gunsmith. Above, Accurate Innovations can make you a wonderful laminated stock, with the aluminum chassis and its tough as nails.

Because of this chassis these guns are weather proof, as far as warping or moving, they will not, just as a side note for those in wetter conditions........

Sorry Idmay375... did not intend to highjack or sidetrack your thread, had hoped to enhance it.... Apologies...
I would add that NECG also makes a screw on front ramp, that will work with the current screw holes. When I cut my Winchester 70 458 down to 21 1/4", I was able to mount one of these sights using the one existing screw hole. These sights have a blade insert that can be adjust for elevation.

20210908_174814.jpg
20210908_175948.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael458,
No apologies required. I enjoy participating in most any firearm / bullet discussion.
AI stocks look awesome. I have been curious about those going way back.

On their website there is a “Design Your Own Stock” option. It’s a configurator that you can play around with, choosing from actual blanks they have in stock, and come up with an exact amount.

@Idmay375 Going to have to change that to Idmay458 now....

What a good old rifle. The very first Winchester M70 I ever owned, was one of these, exactly like yours! I bought it in Florence SC at a Gun Show in the early to mid-90s. I too loved the 22 inch barrel. Later this became a favorite rifle of mine, and used it in 2000 to take 3 lions, all with 400 Swift A Frames at 2325 fps. I had shot 100s and 100s of rounds through this gun. It was so beloved that in the early 2000s I had some close ties with Leslie Dengler, which was the boss at the time at the Winchester New Haven Custom Shop. I had two orders of those Winchester Big Five Series of guns the Custom shop was doing, and asked if Leslie would do a Lion Floorplate for me for this gun. She did of course, but minus the Big Five part of it...... but exactly the same Lion........

Here are two of those troublesome lions back in the day...... and the gun of course.....

View attachment 426226

And a little better photo of the rifle with this sable.....

View attachment 426225

This was the beginning of my lessons of just how damn good .458 caliber is. And the reason I am michael458 even today, even after all the .500s I have developed, I am still michael458 and you can see why..........What fond memories of such a fine rifle, that cost me a total of $600 American dollars at the time...........

I loved this gun so much, at some point I had a fellow put some scratching on the receiver too. At some point later Wes at Accurate Innovations did a AI Stock for me too. Here is the rifle as it is today.

View attachment 426222View attachment 426223View attachment 426224

Its the only 458 Winchester I own now, and it is safely tucked away and protected in the safe.

As you see, it still retains the same 22 inch barrel, same iron sights........... If I could make a suggestion, should one day you choose to change anything, it would be the stock...... the modern AI stock handles the recoil so much better than the factory stock that came on those guns, which I believe was early 1990s........

Well done, very very well done...... Congratulations
That rifle is a beauty ! Lmao on changing the handle from ldmay375 to 458.
I know from years of reading your research those “rat” cartridges are a burr under your saddle.

Worth repeating, That rifle is a beauty!!

I have actually maintained at least one 458 Winchester for many years. A couple of times, I have traded and be without for a short time. Usually, I have had a Mark X / Whitworth, kind of an Alaskan icon firearm.

I say that you, Phil Shoemaker, and 458 disciple Ron have kept my interest in the .458’s.
Enough interest that this one joins a Whitworth and a couple of 458 Lotts.
Honestly not being a world wide hunter, the 416’s thump my moose pretty authoritatively.
Though, I luv turning big rocks into fragments and dust with the 458’s.

My 458 interest waned when Barnes did not pick up the 400 grain in the TSX version. Perhaps they may release to the public the 400 TSX that Tim Sundles had them make.
Then NorthFork departed the area. I am hopeful, soon they may again show up on the market.
I have a few various 375 and 416’s with 20-22” barrels. This 458 feels pretty handy at 22”. I have a CZ in the Lott that is 22” with a synthetic stock, that I also like. After I replaced the factory synthetic with one of my LOP. It drop the overall weight a pound +. Either there is a recoil reducer or lead in that stock. I have never had the motivation to remove the recoil pad and see. It had, had a trip to AHR before I bought.

That rifle is a beauty ! Lmao on changing the handle from ldmay375 to 458.
I know from years of reading your research those “rat” cartridges are a burr under your saddle.

Worth repeating, That rifle is a beauty!!

I have actually maintained at least one 458 Winchester for many years. A couple of times, I have traded and be without for a short time. Usually, I have had a Mark X / Whitworth, kind of an Alaskan icon firearm.

I say that you, Phil Shoemaker, and 458 disciple Ron have kept my interest in the .458’s.
Enough interest that this one joins a Whitworth and a couple of 458 Lotts.
Honestly not being a world wide hunter, the 416’s thump my moose pretty authoritatively.
Though, I luv turning big rocks into fragments and dust with the 458’s.

My 458 interest waned when Barnes did not pick up the 400 grain in the TSX version. Perhaps they may release to the public the 400 TSX that Tim Sundles had them make.
Then NorthFork departed the area. I am hopeful, soon they may again show up on the market.
I have a few various 375 and 416’s with 20-22” barrels. This 458 feels pretty handy at 22”. I have a CZ in the Lott that is 22” with a synthetic stock, that I also like. After I replaced the factory synthetic with one of my LOP. It drop the overall weight a pound +. Either there is a recoil reducer or lead in that stock. I have never had the motivation to remove the recoil pad and see. It had, had a trip to AHR before I bought.

North Forks are coming back. Check out Reloading International, I just bought a bunch of .308 and .375 from them. They were a bit low in stock in other calibers, but hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Nice looking rifle and even the factory wood looks nice. I love my CZ 550 in .458WM, but wouldn't be opposed to owning a Winchester in that caliber (or Lott) one day.

North Forks are coming back. Check out Reloading International, I just bought a bunch of .308 and .375 from them. They were a bit low in stock in other calibers, but hopefully this is a sign of things to come.
I hope. I went on the website last night, but did not see any. Maybe my link to the site I will check again

Nice looking rifle and even the factory wood looks nice. I love my CZ 550 in .458WM, but wouldn't be opposed to owning a Winchester in that caliber (or Lott) one day.
Agree not too shabby for an off the shelf factory stock on that era. And certainly pretty good for today’s same class.
I will say, in the 458 Winchester cartridge the M70 is probably my favorite. I will say the same regarding the H&H length actions.
The bigger holes of the 416 and 458 make the rifles handle better to me. The Alaskan versions in 375 H&H have better barrel contours than any of the other modern production M70’s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross