Looking for a Checklist

Just a dude in BC

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Good day Gent's,

A friend (BC Tal) and I are heading to South Africa (From Canada) in August 2024. This is our first Safari, and I was wondering if anyone has a word file checklist of things to go over. I have been reading the threads about travel, but just though it was likely that some of you had build a checklist.

Thanks all.

Quite a few of the Safari websites include a packing list. Most are pretty thorough. You might look at a few of them and see one that sorta fits your style. Some guys pack for every contingency. I over packed my first couple of trips. Now, I can usually just throw it together the morning I leave

2017 Caprivi. I’ll review and edit before I go back this summer, maybe travel a little lighter, but it did work well for me. Of note, I get cold easily so I have more warm clothing packed than others may want but it’s a starting point

Attachments

• Namibia Packing List.pdf
    249.2 KB · Views: 101
Good day Gent's,

A friend (BC Tal) and I are heading to South Africa (From Canada) in August 2024. This is our first Safari, and I was wondering if anyone has a word file checklist of things to go over. I have been reading the threads about travel, but just though it was likely that some of you had build a checklist.

Thanks all.
the best is from our very own @Philip Glass just go into search enter his name and subject packing list and he even has a video. he scolded me on our hunt together this year in the Omay since i followed it excep forgot the chapstick which i paid for lol!!!

I do overpack every trip. My idea is if I’m taking a checked bag I might as well make use of it under 50 lbs. I also pack my carry on for if my checked bag does not arrive. Chapstick (not having has made one hunt very uncomfortable), small tube superglue, a South African power outlet adapter for your phone, and a soft gun case are several things you might not think of. You don’t need a converter for phone just an outlet adapter. If you have clothes, rifle, and ammo you’ll be good to hunt. No special gear needed for South Africa or most African hunts. I’ll send a PM with my hand written list from my last hunt. I’d rather not post it publicly.

From the homepage on this site, there is also a “hunting preparation timeline”of things to consider and deal with that you should review. Another valuable resource. The ph you will hunt with also might have a checklist of things to bring and things to leave home if you request it-
IMG_8519.jpeg

I've been on two trips and learned what everyone says, you will way over pack for your first trip.

My one problem was that we did a tour after our hunt and didn't have laundry service for a week+, so I was doing a little bit of laundry in the B&B's sinks for the next day.

For a list just break it down into a few separate ones.

You'll need paperwork for your rifle and ammo to take it out of Canada and to bring it back in.
Clothes are easy, I take three sets. One is in my carry on with two being in my checked bag along with some light shoes to wear around the lodge. Wear your hunting boots on the flight over, even if they are a pain to get on and off going through security.

On your list as far as what you pack keep it near your suitcase and carry on. Have a number of columns. Put a check mark on the list when a item is packed, then if you take it out for some reason put a check mark in the column that it has been removed. So on and so forth.

On both of my trips I packed and unpacked a few times to get things just right.

As was mentioned get a voltage converter to take with you. On my first trip the one that the outfitter provided wouldn't stay plugged into the outlet. The one that I took last year worked great plus it had a couple of USB ports for charging batteries.

Just keep reading on the forums here and you'll be fine. If you do forget something and remember it just ask your PH to stop at a store that might have what you need. Just about everywhere over in South Africa takes Visa but it never hurts to have a couple hundred dollars worth of SA Rand in your pocket just in case. I got mine through my bank. There was a small charge but I didn't mind paying it to have what I wanted.

Rechargeable USB powerbank to deal with load shedding - in your carry on

the best is from our very own @Philip Glass just go into search enter his name and subject packing list and he even has a video. he scolded me on our hunt together this year in the Omay since i followed it excep forgot the chapstick which i paid for lol!!!
Thanks Craig!

I've been on two trips and learned what everyone says, you will way over pack for your first

I over packed pretty bad on my first 2 trips over… 7 trips in at this point with #8 already booked.. I now do trips of any length out of nothing more than a small backpack that I carry onto the plane..

A few items that can’t be carried on get put in the rifle case.. everything else easily fits in the backpack..

Any spare room I’ve got gets used for gifts for camp staff, etc..

I think my safari planning videos are as valuable as a list. You know they say a picture is worth a thousand words! Safari Planning section here on AH and YouTube.

Here’s a visual of my 2019 trip. I believe I made a list in my report of what I took. Of course everyone’s will be a bit different and it will change depending on the area hunted, time of year, etc. You guys are going to have a great time! Be forewarned, it is highly addictive! The first trip is going to be an “exciting learning adventure”. Every trip afterwards will be an “exciting learning adventure”. LOL!

1700225871031.jpeg

1700225944953.jpeg

IMG_1621.jpeg
IMG_1615.jpeg

I'll send you my checklist when when I get to my computer. I'm hunting today.

This is everything I take with me. Both guns are in the single gun case. QD scopes are in the camo carryon bag. Computer bag also has all the paperwork.
16830563278891910742398558418242.jpg
16915338836971861004684596064473.jpg

I’d add a backpacker roll of Duct Tape. Great list Tank.

Last edited:
I'll send you my checklist when when I get to my computer. I'm hunting today.

This is everything I take with me. Both guns are in the single gun case. QD scopes are in the camo carryon bag. Computer bag also has all the paperwork.
View attachment 569901View attachment 569900
Note that I left enough room in the checked red bag for the ammo box to slip inside after it's been tagged.

I’d add a backpacker roll of Duct Tape. Great list Tank.
If you look at the list for check-in luggage you will notice that it is there. :D

The only thing that is not on the list that I took ,as it literally arrived the day before I left, is my rollable day bag.

Attachments

• Lightweight Leather Backpack | Hogsback | Saddleback Leather.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 34

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corinne146

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you