Look what AH made me buy...

As @rookhawk mentioned it, we calculated the new built cost for all the work that went into it, to be a certain figure, and the hammer price I bought it for is around 1/4th of that.
Now take some of the money you saved and apply it towards ammunition (or reloading dies and components) so that you can gain and maintain proficiency.

And yes, you stole it. But as they say, even a blind hog roots-up an acorn from time to time.

I just noticed two things about the gun I completely overlooked before. First, the engraving pattern I thought was gothic but at close inspection, its Nouveau Celtic if that’s a term that exists. All that engraving is actually Scottish thistle if you look close. I’d about guarantee that was a one of a kind request from a Scotsman as it has such important symbolism in Gaelic culture. Just conjecture, but I vote it was bespoke for a Scot. The second thing I just noticed is the gun has the ~$2000 forend switch upgrade which you almost never see. That allows you to turn the ejectors on and off with a button which is very useful for smooth extraction without damaging brass when you want to, and ejecting shells damn quick when you’re on a dangerous game hunt and may need to stuff two more quickly. Very envious of that rare feature.

That is a rifle. And of course one scopes a .375. Makes it a perfect general purpose rifle for a safari. And 7x65R is my current favorite deer rifle. It will be an awesome choice for European game.

What an absolutely beautiful rifle!

You did, indeed, absolutely steal this rifle. It is a beautiful example in two extremely useful calibers. The .375 H&H is obvious and the 7x65r is an excellent deer/ plains game caliber. Very big congratulations to you.

I'm not actually sure I'll be able to put larger caliber barrel sets on this Heym action. I believe Heym divides it up into light, safari and jumbo action, with the small one (or the light if you will) having as the biggest caliber a .375H&H. What I could do however is in time, go for a set of 20ga shotgun barrels :)

See below from the Heym price and option list:
View attachment 425728
The largest you can get in the Light Action is 450/400, but don't listen to the V8 bridade, this double is absolutely beautiful as it is. You can take anything with two doses of 375 anyway.

The largest you can get in the Light Action is 450/400, but don't listen to the V8 bridade, this double is absolutely beautiful as it is. You can take anything with two doses of 375 anyway.
I had a long conversation with Heym on 450/400 with light action. It is doable but not recommended as the barrels are too thin and there are issues with accuracy after a shot or two.

Just out of interest, Rookhawk, who did you use as the local agent, if you don't mind me asking?

Just out of interest, Rookhawk, who did you use as the local agent, if you don't mind me asking?

Diggory Hadoke, the writer of a few books on vintage guns and rifles.

@rookhawk I concur with you on the "Bespoke Scottish" It is such a nice bit of engraving!

This is a rifle that needs to be hunted hard and often.

@rookhawk I concur with you on the "Bespoke Scottish" It is such a nice bit of engraving!

This is a rifle that needs to be hunted hard and often.

Notwithstanding the Scottish thistle motief, there might also be some Maltese mixed in…

And indeed, this will be no safe queen. I fully intend to use it often. I just think I’ll try to avoid too humid/rainy conditions.

Notwithstanding the Scottish thistle motief, there might also be some Maltese mixed in…

And indeed, this will be no safe queen. I fully intend to use it often. I just think I’ll try to avoid too humid/rainy conditions.

I was curious about this too, @VertigoBE . Here in the US we are overrun with a nuisance plant that sure enough, is "Maltese Thistle". When you take a look at Maltese Thistle the leaves actually look a lot more like your gun's engraving than does a "Scottish Thistle". I do not know if there is a particular significance or connotation to resident of Malta and their thistle though. I do know that the House of Stuart back in England also has an association with thistle.

Eventually you'll find the name of the original owner and you'll be able to figure out if they are an aristocrat or not. I'm sure there is some connection between the engraving pattern and their name, clan, or country of birth that had them select what they did for the gun. It does not look like any of the traditional Dickson or MacNaughton guns that had Scottish thistle and leaves engraved on their guns.

Hello all,

Much has changed since I signed up in January of 2021 on this forum. I went on my first safari in Africa, met lot's of wonderful people on this site and now, thanks to AH member @rookhawk who took interest in my search for something truly fine, yet still reacheable, I am now (almost) the new owner of a double. I say almost, because the purchase was made through a bid on Holts September 2021 auction (today) and right now, no money has left my pocket yet and no rifle is to be found in my hands or gun safe. But this will change rapidly in the coming weeks and months.

Without much further ado, here is my latest acquisition, a "forever rifle", one for the (future) great grand children to fight over some day, but for now to be cherished by myself:

An Andrea Scholz engraved Heym 88b light model boxlock ejector double rifle, in almost new condition (had someone inspect in my place), with interchangeable 7x65r and 375H&H barrels. Together with each barrel set are two identical Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6x42 scopes (+an aimpoint), and (together with some snap caps, sling, and other accessories) , all of it packaged in a fine ostrich leather case. The pictures below are from the auction obviously.

I can't wait to hold this beauty in my hands!

View attachment 425708

View attachment 425709

View attachment 425710

View attachment 425711

View attachment 425712
Gorgeous!!! Congratulations and extremely well done! Congratulations for joining our DR club on AH!

@VertigoBE

This is extraordinary! Fantastic. I am speachless!
This is really one gun to hunt in Africa and entire World!

My friend you got yourself a steal of a deal.

Even if it's only a 375 H&H you can still hunt anything living under this earth.
You will be able to shoot more as ammo is cheaper and found anywhere in the world and qualifies for dangerous game anywhere.

Proficiaat !!!!!!

I was curious about this too, @VertigoBE . Here in the US we are overrun with a nuisance plant that sure enough, is "Maltese Thistle". When you take a look at Maltese Thistle the leaves actually look a lot more like your gun's engraving than does a "Scottish Thistle". I do not know if there is a particular significance or connotation to resident of Malta and their thistle though. I do know that the House of Stuart back in England also has an association with thistle.

Eventually you'll find the name of the original owner and you'll be able to figure out if they are an aristocrat or not. I'm sure there is some connection between the engraving pattern and their name, clan, or country of birth that had them select what they did for the gun. It does not look like any of the traditional Dickson or MacNaughton guns that had Scottish thistle and leaves engraved on their guns.
Indeed, I have a strong suspicion that the original owner is from Maltese origin, and these are Maltese Star Thistle:

First I have the story he wrote accompanying the description on Holts:

"A friend of mine had a Heym double in 270 which had been imported by the Shooting Lodge in Skipton as a demo. I always had a hankering for this as it was much more elegant and handleable than an English gun. The best I managed with him was a promise of first refusal, if he ever decided to sell. Many years later I met up with him, I found he had sold it some 6 months beforehand and had completely forgotten his promise.

The club I belong to in Malta arranged a visit to the museum and some gunmakers in Suhl in 2015 and I managed to wangle a trip to the Heym factory. Subsequent to that I specc'ed up a rifle based on the smaller of the two actions Heym produce for double rifles as I wanted two sets of barrels, one for driven boar and the other for Africa. The African barrels were to be in 375 H and H rimless. Heym from my previous experience have perfected an extractor for rimless cartridges and I was keen to have the performance of the rimless cartridge. The lock up of the action is easily strong enough for the higher-pressure round. There is sufficient weight in the rifle to accommodate the recoil of the 375, whilst having the feel of a 20 bore with the lighter driven game barrel set. For this I selected the 7x65R round. I had happily shot driven game with this cartridge in it's 7x64 guise for boar and this to me was an ideal combination.

The barrels and ejectors are selective.

The barrels are both 26 inch and are fitted with a 1/4 rib with folding and a single fixed open sight - both of which are regulated with the chosen factory rounds which are:

375 H and H rimless Norma PH 350 grain solid and soft which shoot to the same point of aim
7 x 65R RWS KS 10.5gr.

On a subsequent trip to Heym we agreed the final spec and chose the (grade 6) stock wood to be used for the stock and both fore-ends and saw both sets of barrels being hand laid. The fore-ends are both slight beavertail with wrap around chequering as I personally like having something to hang on to and not the barrels. Whatever else, this is not a shotgun!

There is a small amount of subtle 22ct gold inlay on the chambers, safety, and calibre markings and open sights. The engraving was commissioned from an independent Suhl engraver. I explained to him I prefer full bas-relief engraving, but as I am not a fan of animal scenes we came up with a thistle style which was just perfect for me.

Two optical scopes are provided - one for each barrel set. They are Zeiss Victory 1-6 x 42 and thus suitable for most game, including driven. The mounts are Sulher type claw mounts. Furthermore, both ribs are cut to fit an Aimpoint H2 red dot sight, which is also provided.

The oak and leather case was custom made and fitted to accommodate the whole package, including a matching leather sling. The leather is in dark tan genuine ostrich from an ostrich shot by myself at 560m. The case lining is in deep red baize. Also included are two sets of snap caps for both calibres.

The 7 x 65R barrels are regulated to shoot hot, or cold at 100m. A 0.5 " group can consistently be achieved. Test targets are provided.

I have used this rifle in Africa on running buffalo, giraffe, eland and other of the larger plains game species. It has been used in Europe for deer, antelope and boar with the smaller barrel set. This fulfilled my dream for the rifle and time for another project.....
"

Secondly, after asking Heym about the original loads for which the barrels were regulated for, they also provided the information that it was purchased by a Maltese company (or at least a Maltese branch).

And finally two more pictures to compare the flower to more detailed pics of the engraving:

Heym 12.jpg

Heym 13.jpg

The flower looks like the Maltese Star Thistle:
malta-star-thistle.html

The leaves rather look like the Galactites tomentosa (Mediterranean Thistle):
Galactites tomentosa (Mediterranean Thistle ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross