Long time guest, first time member!

SwampTrooper

AH member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I have been a long time lurker on the site for a few years now but have finally made my own account and would like to say hello. A common story in here, I grew up hunting in the United States (mostly upland wing-shooting) and am now thinking seriously about my first trip to Africa in the next coming years. Hunting in Africa has always been a childhood dream for me as it is probably for a lot of you, and I don’t really know why. It is sort of a calling that I know I just have to do it. I’ll be heading to SA soon for my honeymoon. It’s no hunting trip as the wife to be tolerates my hunting but does not partake herself. But I hope to return soon to target Kudu, Gemsbok, and hopefully a Zebra. If it goes well, I’d like to return for a buffalo cow management hunt (as that is really all I can afford at the moment). I’d need to pick up at least a .375 H&H for that hunt, but one step at a time. I have used this forum to research for years, mostly gunsmithing and gear, and have built this rifle recently as my future plains game rifle in .30-06. I use Winchester Expedition Trophy Long Range in 190 grain which seems to carry enough energy to take down what I am targeting with a correctly placed shot. Please see the picture attached! Its an old Winchester model 70 from the 1970s (I know, just push feed, oh well… that’s why it was cheap) gussied up with a little bit of the African expedition spirit. I pillar bed the stock, glass bed the action, free floated the barrel, fitted a silvers style orange recoil pad, added an express rear sight, chopped the end of the stock, added on the ebony forend, cut the barrel channel in that (pain in the butt with how hard the wood is) and mounted/blued the barrel band. Also using the Leupold QD scope bases because iron sights are always fun for messing around.
So anyway, it’s great to meet you all and here’s to many adventures ahead!

-ST

IMG_0291.jpeg

IMG_0289.jpeg

:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the AH family

Good day! Welcome to AH! Beautiful rifle you have!! Enjoy your honeymoon in our beautiful country!!
Best regards
Johan

Welcome to AH SwampTrooper! Nice to have you finally join us.

Welcome to you! You're at THE right place!

Hello SwampTrooper,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Hello and welcome!

Welcome welcome welcome

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH

Welcome aboard Swamp Trooper. You did a great job on your 30-06. It will serve you well on any African PG hunt. Do you reload as well? Although I now prefer controlled round feed rifles, I can't say that I've ever had a Model 70 push feed that didn't shoot well. Keep your eyes open for a used Wentworth or International Arms in 375 H&H. With your skills, you could turn either one of them into a working DG rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonteDacey

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.