Lion Prices

chiefdale

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello all,
I am planning to do a lion hunt either 2020 or 2021. It will probably be high fence in SA. Id love for it to be different but the funds don't allow for it.

It seems lion prices have taken a dip due to lack of hunting since many people want to be able to bring them back. I don't care to have to bring him home, so it seems like a great opportunity to hunt one at a discount.

I saw some great deals for nice size males in the 8k-10k range.

My question is: what do you think is the bottom for this?

It seems like the past few years prices have dropped somewhat. We have watched this with sable? But sable is a little bit different id guess with breeding.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
IIRC, there was an offer on here for females at 3500. If not importing the animal might be a good option.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Hello all,
I am planning to do a lion hunt either 2020 or 2021. It will probably be high fence in SA. Id love for it to be different but the funds don't allow for it.

It seems lion prices have taken a dip due to lack of hunting since many people want to be able to bring them back. I don't care to have to bring him home, so it seems like a great opportunity to hunt one at a discount.

I saw some great deals for nice size males in the 8k-10k range.

My question is: what do you think is the bottom for this?

It seems like the past few years prices have dropped somewhat. We have watched this with sable? But sable is a little bit different id guess with breeding.

It's a bit hard to say if RSA lions have reached the bottom or not. I do believe there are few breeders now which would serve to put a floor under prices, but that may not mean the prices have fully bottomed yet.

I agree with @Hogpatrol that if you're not worried about importing the cat and this is about the experience, a lioness is still less expensive and can be just as angry as any male. You may even be able to do two females for the price of a single male. I emphasize may when I say that, I cannot guarantee that pricing.

chiefdale

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
It's a bit hard to say if RSA lions have reached the bottom or not. I do believe there are few breeders now which would serve to put a floor under prices, but that may not mean the prices have fully bottomed yet.

I agree with @Hogpatrol that if you're not worried about importing the cat and this is about the experience, a lioness is still less expensive and can be just as angry as any male. You may even be able to do two females for the price of a single male. I emphasize may when I say that, I cannot guarantee that pricing.

Thanks for the quick reply. I knew that breeders were becoming less, but didn't know what the thought process was on prices and reaching the bottom.

There is something special about a male. But I agree with the 2 for 1. Could possibly add a buffalo cow or bull and a lioness for cheaper than many male lions

DillonG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
None
Are you not considering importing the mount if the ban is lifted?

chiefdale

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Are you not considering importing the mount if the ban is lifted?

I’d love to bring one back. However; I think part of what is driving prices down is people don’t want to hunt them because they can’t bring them home.

So, it’s great to be able to take advantage of that. Was trying to hunt before ban lifted.

I’m running out of room to begin with.

DillonG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
None
Ahh just curious, I could see a lot of folks looking at lion hunting with the opportunity to bring a mount back if/when the ban lifts. Good luck to you on your upcoming hunt! Are you for sure hunting a male?

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I’m not sure sable prices will go any lower but lion prices are likely at a low too just because USA hunters can’t import them.

chiefdale

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m not sure sable prices will go any lower but lion prices are likely at a low too just because USA hunters can’t import them.
Do you see lion prices going any lower

chiefdale

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Ahh just curious, I could see a lot of folks looking at lion hunting with the opportunity to bring a mount back if/when the ban lifts. Good luck to you on your upcoming hunt! Are you for sure hunting a male?
I’m still undecided. Thinking about a cow buffalo and lioness.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Hunted
Do you see lion prices going any lower

If you can wait until the boomers are finished hunting, you'll be able to get a lion cull hunt. :p;):D

whitetail

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, RMEF
Hunted
RSA, Zimbabwe
Agree with cpr0312 above about getting ahold of Jacques Spamer of JKO Safaris. There is absolutely no one more qualified as a PH for lion hunting and access to concessions for this. We both have had the opportunity to hunt DG with him in the past (multiple species of DG)and he is beyond compare. In fact, we will be hunting DG in Zimbabwe in September with Jacques so if that can give you a sense of how much respect we have for him. If you have further questions please don’t hesitate to PM me.

Last edited:

jacques smith

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Chiefdale
I concur that u need to talk to jacques or ockert at JKO
I dont see prices going down on mature males. Cheers

revturbo9967

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA- IL, WY, CO, NH, ME, CT Canada- NB
out of curiosity , is it to be expected that the ban will be lifted for importing into the states?

whitetail

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, RMEF
Hunted
RSA, Zimbabwe
out of curiosity , is it to be expected that the ban will be lifted for importing into the states?

It is highly, highly unlikely unfortunately... but you never know- if Trump gets a 2nd term, I guess it could remotely happen. Fingers crossed

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Hunted
Back on January 20, 1917 hopes were lifted. Two and a half years later, they've dropped significantly. As we used to say in the car plant, you got two chances, slim and none and slim went on vacation.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
I would place a bit more value on the actual hunting experience and value for money rather than just price...after all it is about the hunt not the end result...the cheapest price is not always the best hunt...that is my opinion anyway.

chiefdale

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I would place a bit more value on the actual hunting experience and value for money rather than just price...after all it is about the hunt not the end result...the cheapest price is not always the best hunt...that is my opinion anyway.

I completely agree with you on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexiSmileudw

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J