Lion Prices

chiefdale

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello all,
I am planning to do a lion hunt either 2020 or 2021. It will probably be high fence in SA. Id love for it to be different but the funds don't allow for it.

It seems lion prices have taken a dip due to lack of hunting since many people want to be able to bring them back. I don't care to have to bring him home, so it seems like a great opportunity to hunt one at a discount.

I saw some great deals for nice size males in the 8k-10k range.

My question is: what do you think is the bottom for this?

It seems like the past few years prices have dropped somewhat. We have watched this with sable? But sable is a little bit different id guess with breeding.

IIRC, there was an offer on here for females at 3500. If not importing the animal might be a good option.

Last edited:
Hello all,
I am planning to do a lion hunt either 2020 or 2021. It will probably be high fence in SA. Id love for it to be different but the funds don't allow for it.

It seems lion prices have taken a dip due to lack of hunting since many people want to be able to bring them back. I don't care to have to bring him home, so it seems like a great opportunity to hunt one at a discount.

I saw some great deals for nice size males in the 8k-10k range.

My question is: what do you think is the bottom for this?

It seems like the past few years prices have dropped somewhat. We have watched this with sable? But sable is a little bit different id guess with breeding.

It's a bit hard to say if RSA lions have reached the bottom or not. I do believe there are few breeders now which would serve to put a floor under prices, but that may not mean the prices have fully bottomed yet.

I agree with @Hogpatrol that if you're not worried about importing the cat and this is about the experience, a lioness is still less expensive and can be just as angry as any male. You may even be able to do two females for the price of a single male. I emphasize may when I say that, I cannot guarantee that pricing.

It's a bit hard to say if RSA lions have reached the bottom or not. I do believe there are few breeders now which would serve to put a floor under prices, but that may not mean the prices have fully bottomed yet.

I agree with @Hogpatrol that if you're not worried about importing the cat and this is about the experience, a lioness is still less expensive and can be just as angry as any male. You may even be able to do two females for the price of a single male. I emphasize may when I say that, I cannot guarantee that pricing.

Thanks for the quick reply. I knew that breeders were becoming less, but didn't know what the thought process was on prices and reaching the bottom.

There is something special about a male. But I agree with the 2 for 1. Could possibly add a buffalo cow or bull and a lioness for cheaper than many male lions

Are you not considering importing the mount if the ban is lifted?

Are you not considering importing the mount if the ban is lifted?

I’d love to bring one back. However; I think part of what is driving prices down is people don’t want to hunt them because they can’t bring them home.

So, it’s great to be able to take advantage of that. Was trying to hunt before ban lifted.

I’m running out of room to begin with.

Ahh just curious, I could see a lot of folks looking at lion hunting with the opportunity to bring a mount back if/when the ban lifts. Good luck to you on your upcoming hunt! Are you for sure hunting a male?

I’m not sure sable prices will go any lower but lion prices are likely at a low too just because USA hunters can’t import them.

Ahh just curious, I could see a lot of folks looking at lion hunting with the opportunity to bring a mount back if/when the ban lifts. Good luck to you on your upcoming hunt! Are you for sure hunting a male?
I’m still undecided. Thinking about a cow buffalo and lioness.

Do you see lion prices going any lower

If you can wait until the boomers are finished hunting, you'll be able to get a lion cull hunt. :p;):D

Agree with cpr0312 above about getting ahold of Jacques Spamer of JKO Safaris. There is absolutely no one more qualified as a PH for lion hunting and access to concessions for this. We both have had the opportunity to hunt DG with him in the past (multiple species of DG)and he is beyond compare. In fact, we will be hunting DG in Zimbabwe in September with Jacques so if that can give you a sense of how much respect we have for him. If you have further questions please don’t hesitate to PM me.

Last edited:
Chiefdale
I concur that u need to talk to jacques or ockert at JKO
I dont see prices going down on mature males. Cheers

out of curiosity , is it to be expected that the ban will be lifted for importing into the states?

out of curiosity , is it to be expected that the ban will be lifted for importing into the states?

It is highly, highly unlikely unfortunately... but you never know- if Trump gets a 2nd term, I guess it could remotely happen. Fingers crossed

Back on January 20, 1917 hopes were lifted. Two and a half years later, they've dropped significantly. As we used to say in the car plant, you got two chances, slim and none and slim went on vacation.

I would place a bit more value on the actual hunting experience and value for money rather than just price...after all it is about the hunt not the end result...the cheapest price is not always the best hunt...that is my opinion anyway.

I would place a bit more value on the actual hunting experience and value for money rather than just price...after all it is about the hunt not the end result...the cheapest price is not always the best hunt...that is my opinion anyway.

I completely agree with you on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.