Lightweight short action deer rifle

BLR in 358 Win is a nice choice too if there are bears around.
So was this BLR in .308!
278B7B07-07CC-43A5-BBA9-7AE415AB8A1E.jpeg

This thread is getting a bit long in the tooth at this point, and there have been lots of suggestions. This is about a rifle, more so than it's caliber, but that's where I think we all tend to go.... so....

Thanks to @Bob Nelson 35Whelen I bought a .358 Win in a Ruger American Predator. I have to swap the stock still on it as the tupperware one that is on it drives me nuts. But I will say.... The American Predator is reliable and Lightweight. If Kimber had made an 84M in .358 I would have ordered one of those.

That said, the more I use the Ruger, the more I like it. It is a little under 7lbs stock and I have to say.. It works and shoots pretty well, is pretty light and that .358 Win burns little powder and hits like a hammer out to 300 yards.

I really had never heard much about the 358 Win. No one i know has one. Even the old timers at my club who are dear friends of mine. I just did some reading on this caliber and it is certainly under rated. Not sure it would be right for what i am looking for in a 5 lb rifle but maybe i need one in a 7 lber. . I mean who doesn’t need one more gun?

My vote is for the Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06. 20" barrel, stainless steel with a laminated stock... impervious to bad weather. You can buy light loads or heavy loads (or reload up or down). The 30-06 can take any game in North America, though it might be light for polar bear. You can always find 30-06 ammo anywhere - except during covid pandemics. Seriously, the 30-06 is simply the most versatile cartridge out there. It is North America's do-all cartridge. It's not new or the latest hype, but it can do everything from varmints to elk and moose.
My 2 cents anyway...

This thread is getting a bit long in the tooth at this point, and there have been lots of suggestions. This is about a rifle, more so than it's caliber, but that's where I think we all tend to go.... so....

Thanks to @Bob Nelson 35Whelen I bought a .358 Win in a Ruger American Predator. I have to swap the stock still on it as the tupperware one that is on it drives me nuts. But I will say.... The American Predator is reliable and Lightweight. If Kimber had made an 84M in .358 I would have ordered one of those.

That said, the more I use the Ruger, the more I like it. It is a little under 7lbs stock and I have to say.. It works and shoots pretty well, is pretty light and that .358 Win burns little powder and hits like a hammer out to 300 yards.
I am sure you will really like your .358 when punching game. I have taken deer and elk with mine and none have required a second shot. I got a BLR T/D stainless lightweight last summer and it weighs 8.3# with scope and sling. Good hunting!

My search is over. I closed the deal on a new Barrett Fieldcraft in .308, that weighs 5 lbs 2 oz. Gun is very nice with carbon fiber stock, 21” SS barrel, fluted bolt, chamber sized to cartridge, timney trigger, etc. As they are not being made anymore by Barrett they were selling for up to 2x retail online. I sat out of a few crazy auction prices and was able to find a more reasonable deal within a few hour drive of home. With my just ordered 2.5x8 Leupold and Talley mounts I’ll have a nice rig that likely won’t be over 6 lbs. a few AH member have this gun and had good reviews.
Image1613243746.468158.jpg

I use a MDL 700 ADL in .243 topped with a Redfield 2 x 7 and 100 gr bullets to fill just the niche you described in Pennsylvania where I also live / hunt.

@ChrisG
I'm glad you chose the 358. A little Whelen almost. The 358 has always been under rated but try and get one off someone who owns one. It just plain works out of all proportion.
Bob
Some people are just stubborn or defend their choice passionately spruiking the good word.
Actually I have see the bullets , would suit the OP purpose I think.
Anything from the 7mm-08 up would so that left 3 obvious choices although the .358 might not be so common.
Mmm, maybe oneday it could be good in the scrub. "A little Whelen"

His opening post with 6.5cm was in jest, we know he never really considered a man bun but I don't think anyone tried to talk him out of it.
My search is over. I closed the deal on a new Barrett Fieldcraft in .308, that weighs 5 lbs 2 oz. Gun is very nice with carbon fiber stock, 21” SS barrel, fluted bolt, chamber sized to cartridge, timney trigger, etc. As they are not being made anymore by Barrett they were selling for up to 2x retail online. I sat out of a few crazy auction prices and was able to find a more reasonable deal within a few hour drive of home. With my just ordered 2.5x8 Leupold and Talley mounts I’ll have a nice rig that likely won’t be over 6 lbs. a few AH member have this gun and had good reviews. View attachment 389075
That's light, oh congratulations on the purchase and deciding so quickly. I debate the pros and cons of each choice with myself till my head hurts. But I m trying to keep my budget and rifles in check.
I read up on these when considering a lightweight option. I like it, among others but I think you summed it up quite well and the .308 is a practical choice. The Leupold will be a good fit and you are set.
I think it fits the bill and will be a great rig.

Some people are just stubborn or defend their choice passionately spruiking the good word.
Anything from the 7mm-08 up would so that left 3 obvious choices although the .358 might not be so common.

His opening post with 6.5cm was in jest, we know he never really considered a man bun but I don't think anyone tried to talk him out of it.

That's light, oh congratulations on the purchase and deciding so quickly. I debate the pros and cons of each choice with myself till my head hurts. But I m trying to keep my budget and rifles in check.
I read up on these when considering a lightweight option. I like it, among others but I think you summed it up quite well and the .308 is a practical choice. The Leupold will be a good fit and you are set.
@CBH
Chris we have another 35 convert, I hope one day you see the light and join the 35 crowd.
I do hope to be over your way this year and will bring my beloved Whelen for you to try. Then we may have another convert.
I live in hope.
Bob

Lol on the 6.5 cm and man bun comment. I did pass on bidding on at least 2 creedmoor’s. Just haven’t bought into the trend. I decided i wanted the .308 to add to the safe as I already have other rifles in 7mm-08, .280 and 7mm mag. Why not add a classic caliber and the option of going up to 180 grain+ pills if needed. I have taken a bear from the PA pocono mountains that weighed 440 lbs.

I finally mounted the scope and put on an old sling so i could shoot this .308 Barrett fieldcraft. It weighs in at a slim 6 lbs with scope and sling. I shot Norma fmj 147 grain value ammo. After four shots at 50 yards to get on target i shot three, 3 shot groups at 100 yards. They measured 1 1/16 inch, 11/16 inch and 3/8 inch. Also, I was shooting on a 4x4 block with my sweat shirt on it at a hand written target. Lol. Not too shabby on the results though
Image1629764671.366459.jpg
Image1629764774.056760.jpg

You just got lucky finding that Fieldcraft and now your showing off.

Congratulations and I hope it's all you expect it to be. From what I read on them and their specs I think they would be a nice little outfit fits the bill and it's something I would like myself

I finally mounted the scope and put on an old sling so i could shoot this .308 Barrett fieldcraft. It weighs in at a slim 6 lbs with scope and sling. I shot Norma fmj 147 grain value ammo. After four shots at 50 yards to get on target i shot three, 3 shot groups at 100 yards. They measured 1 1/16 inch, 11/16 inch and 3/8 inch. Also, I was shooting on a 4x4 block with my sweat shirt on it at a hand written target. Lol. Not too shabby on the results though View attachment 419755View attachment 419756
Sweet rifle. Too bad they’re not making them right now. Maybe they’ll start again one of these days

My vote goes to a Ruger #1A in 7x57 or any typical deer caliber. Mine is a dream in Michigans UP. You don't give up any velocity but its fully 4 inches shorter than a bolt action with a 22" barrel. A second shot is nearly as fast with a bit of practice and one should be enough.

Im going on a blacktail deer and reindeer hunt on Kodak island in one week and may take the .308 instead of my trusted 7mm mag. It’s a boat based hunt that takes you to shore each day and you diy the hunt including all packing out of game. The light weight will be handy and i should be good out to 300 yds.

I helped a guy that had bought a Q The Fix in 308. It was a short very light unit but it shot really well with the right ammo or load. However....... my standard stuff can be a bit testy on the shoulder so never noticed when shooting his 'Fix.' He was not in the same boat. When the samples and factory ammo were done so was he. He sold it to a guy that wanted it and had a custom 6.5 creed built and never looked back.
A case of not considering what a 5lb 308 would be like off the bench or prone.

A Ruger American ranch rifle in 7.62x39 16.5 inch barrel it leaves a 44 mag for dead they
are , accurate, cheap low recoil, low muzzle blast & cheap to run have a look at one !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg