Lightweight short action deer rifle

Wow. Was it a DRT kind of thing or did you have a track? How far was the shot?
I shot it at about 35 yards. Double lung pass through. It went about 70 yards before it ran out of gas.

Due to the mild recoil, I could see the impact ripple from the bullet hitting it through the scope. That was pretty cool.

I have an itch to get a new lightweight, shorter barreled rifle for use in the thick woods of PA. Shot ranges here are more likely to be measured in two digits than three, so I am willing to give up some velocity for easy carry. Also we do drives for deer and bear through swamps/thickets and a 24" tube gets in the way. I have a few long action and mag calibers so not planning on using this new purchase out west, in Africa, or for longer range hunting. Caliber preference would be short action - 7mm08, 6.5 Creed or .308 win.

I have been searching online and came across a few that are interesting. Kimber --> Montana (22" barrel) and Adirondack (18") with weights slightly over/under 5 lbs, Barrett Fieldcraft (21" barrel and approx. 5.2 lbs, although its seems to be discontinued and unavailable), Savage ultralight with proof research barrel (around 6 lbs). Anyone have any experience with these rifles or with other suggestions? Would be willing to buy used as well. Not really looking for high end custom rifle at this point in time. Thx and Happy Holiday to all!
The Savage ultralight is probably the best deal you can get in a rifle today, if you like their actions… the proof barrel 1/2 MOA guaranteed and is $900 on its own and you can find the ultra lights for $1200. Problem is you’re going to end up with a longer barrel.

Kimber you’re still gonna get a longer barrel, and one that is pencil thin, so your looking at a 2 shot group barrel. Plus their actions are piss.

Look at the Ruger Ranch rifles. Short barrels, light weight, and a decent number of calibers to choose from. Or get a Tikka and get the barrel cut to 18-20”

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 9.55.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 9.55.55 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 9.55.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 9.55.57 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
I do not want this to develop into a pissing contest Here are the facts, i had this 7.62x39 verses the
300 BL discussion with my son a couple of months ago he has a Howa mini 30 black out
16 inch bbl 1-7 twist .I have a Ruger Ranch 7.26x39 16.5 inch bbl 1-9.5 twist this was the test.
Case capacity 300 bl ADI case avg of 5, 22.5 grains of water.
7.62x39 Lapua case avg of 5, 33.0 grains of water.

300 bl load ADI case WW small rifle primer, Hornady 130 grain bullet, 22.7 grains of CFE BLK
avg velocity 10 shots 2240 FPS
7.62x39 Lapua case WW large rifle primer, Hornady 123 grain SST bullet,29.5 grains of CFE BLK avg velocity 10 shots 2515 fps. Velocity measured by a LAB RADAR Chronograph, by
case capacity alone the 7.62x39 wins, I think most of the articles on the 300 bl the velocity numbers are fudged we would not want a Russian cartridge to be better would we?

If I can't use the cheap steel case ammo to practice with, I am losing utility. I have seen reviews where it is mentioned that the chamber tolerance for that caliber is made for steel cased ammo at least with CZ and you may experience difficulties with brass cased ammunition.

DoubleTap is quoting them both around 2400 fps with 123-125 grain ammunition. I'm just not seeing the benefit.

Last edited:
I do not want this to develop into a pissing contest Here are the facts, i had this 7.62x39 verses the
300 BL discussion with my son a couple of months ago he has a Howa mini 30 black out
16 inch bbl 1-7 twist .I have a Ruger Ranch 7.26x39 16.5 inch bbl 1-9.5 twist this was the test.
Case capacity 300 bl ADI case avg of 5, 22.5 grains of water.
7.62x39 Lapua case avg of 5, 33.0 grains of water.

300 bl load ADI case WW small rifle primer, Hornady 130 grain bullet, 22.7 grains of CFE BLK
avg velocity 10 shots 2240 FPS
7.62x39 Lapua case WW large rifle primer, Hornady 123 grain SST bullet,29.5 grains of CFE BLK avg velocity 10 shots 2515 fps. Velocity measured by a LAB RADAR Chronograph, by
case capacity alone the 7.62x39 wins, I think most of the articles on the 300 bl the velocity numbers are fudged we would not want a Russian cartridge to be better would we?
Don't worry, I have both cartridges and am certain that I can pee further.:A Tease: :S Bs Flag:

You are correct in case capacity difference. I find that to be an advantage and a also on that note you, have 7 grains more in the smaller case's projectile. I will observe that you are not commenting from a point of strength in using the same powder for both cartridges in your drag race. CFE BLK despite it's name does a lot better in the x39 than the BLK for 125's. It is my belief that it was envisioned for the subsonic loads and fouling in suppressors rather than pushing 125's around as it requires 12 grains to make 1060fps instead of 8.

You're using .7 grains over compressed in Hogdgons online data for the BLK and getting 100 fps better than what it advertises. For the x39 you're right on the book data. I'm thinking that if you took a 125 and Lil Gun or just Lil Gun and the 130 you'd narrow the gap a bit.

I shot it at about 35 yards. Double lung pass through. It went about 70 yards before it ran out of gas.

Due to the mild recoil, I could see the impact ripple from the bullet hitting it through the scope. That was pretty cool.
I saw one hit on a 125gr .30-06 once. The blood spurted out on the near side at impact. It was most certainly spectacular and it was a DRT in a running creek where the animal actually partially submerged. My Dad still teases me about that radio call.

Big boy would've run if you'd had a .300 WM he's just a giant. Wounded bucks are tremendously durable in the moment. I have seen daylight through the body and still they carry on.

Apologies I'm a bit late to the party but for "woods" bolt action in short action I think you'd be hard pressed to beat a .338 Federal or a .358 Win.

(Slippery bullets in .338 so likely to not give too much up in trajectory vs .308W)

Lever action: 20" barrel Marlin 336 or a 94 in 35 Rem?

@7x57 Joe
How do the 165gn casts work on game and what velocity are you getting. My guess is around 1,800fps
Bob
I've only had the chance to shoot coyotes and armadillos when carrying this handy little carbine but, it knocks chunks out of armadillos and coyotes hit the dirt right now. Deer never show up when I'm toting it but, I've no doubt at all it will work fine. You are close on velocity. 10 feet from the muzzle they're clocking 1953 fps average using 25 grains of WC-844 (H-335).

Don't worry, I have both cartridges and am certain that I can pee further.:A Tease: :S Bs Flag:

You are correct in case capacity difference. I find that to be an advantage and a also on that note you, have 7 grains more in the smaller case's projectile. I will observe that you are not commenting from a point of strength in using the same powder for both cartridges in your drag race. CFE BLK despite it's name does a lot better in the x39 than the BLK for 125's. It is my belief that it was envisioned for the subsonic loads and fouling in suppressors rather than pushing 125's around as it requires 12 grains to make 1060fps instead of 8.

You're using .7 grains over compressed in Hogdgons online data for the BLK and getting 100 fps better than what it advertises. For the x39 you're right on the book data. I'm thinking that if you took a 125 and Lil Gun or just Lil Gun and the 130 you'd narrow the gap a bit.
Thanks for that info on Lil gun, i have some that i use in my 22 Hornet, i will talk to my son & suggest he get some 125 grain 30 cal bullets & give it a go will let you know the results.

Thanks for that info on Lil gun, i have some that i use in my 22 Hornet, i will talk to my son & suggest he get some 125 grain 30 cal bullets & give it a go will let you know the results.
You're welcome! Happy to be of assistance. Looking forward to your results. There's always that pesky accuracy factor to contend with.

@rdog
As you know Lilgun is a very fast powder on par with 2205. If your book doesn't mention 2205 in your load data I would steer clear of it.
Lilgun is the ducks gut in the Hornet and I don't think they are importing it any more so I would gaurd it with everything I can.
Bob

@rdog
As you know Lilgun is a very fast powder on par with 2205. If your book doesn't mention 2205 in your load data I would steer clear of it.
Lilgun is the ducks gut in the Hornet and I don't think they are importing it any more so I would gaurd it with everything I can.
Bob
Yes bob i cannot find a Lil gun load for the 30 black out ADIs best load is with AR2207 i try that i bought the last 2 bottles of Lil gun i could find about 3 months ago.

Yes bob i cannot find a Lil gun load for the 30 black out ADIs best load is with AR2207 i try that i bought the last 2 bottles of Lil gun i could find about 3 months ago.
They are online, but for your convenience....
Screenshot_20210831-070552-167.png

Would N110 be an option?
For 300 BLK? 125 gr? Yes. Not as much speed as some others, but it beats throwing rocks. Pity VV doesn't give pressures on their data so you could see just how conservative it is.

They are online, but for your convenience....View attachment 421069

For 300 BLK? 125 gr? Yes. Not as much speed as some others, but it beats throwing rocks. Pity VV doesn't give pressures on their data so you could see just how conservative it is.
Thank you for Lil gun data.

Ye olden 30-30 in carbine lever action has handled deer and other for somewhere plus or minus 100 years. It is not as short (OAL) as some nor modern efficient and I doubt it can be found in a magazine fed autoloader.
If a collection of cartridges in a variety of bbl lengths and bullet weights were all fired at 100 & 200 yards off a 100 yard zero my guess is that the extreme vertical would be surprising small. In other words the point blank use for all of them would make little difference for a killing shot.

I never cared much for the venerable thudy thudy as I was impressed by bigger faster stuff that left it in the dust. However, I was talking guns with a co-worker one time and he mentioned a some day project of using a SBS shotgun in 410 gauge to convert to a double rifle in 30-30. My first thought was what a waste. Then before opening my mouth to say anything I realized what a fun gun that would be; low recoil and no less useful to someone that hunts with a 30-30 anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.