Lever action

By gong shooting do you mean "Cowboy Action Shooting" or are you talking about 100 yards and greater?

I have a 1895 browning repo in 30-40 krag NIB, maybe I should get it out and shoot it. I do shoot these two, a 95 marlin in 45-70 made in 1973 and 94 marlin sporter in 44 mag made also in 1973.

DSCN9971 (3).JPG
DSCN9972 (3).JPG
DSCN9974 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone has their favorite brand...and each has something to recommend them.

But there is only one cartridge that can do everything in a lever....the great 45-70!

Ok, I am biased....I have two Henry 45-70. Both are now wearing Skinner Peep sights.

IMG_1321.JPG

+1 vote for the 1895 .405 WCF.
It shoot well bullets from 200 to 400 grains and can be used for actual hunting - as in the picture to the left.

Everyone has their favorite brand...and each has something to recommend them.

But there is only one cartridge that can do everything in a lever....the great 45-70!

Ok, I am biased....I have two Henry 45-70. Both are now wearing Skinner Peep sights.

View attachment 231362

Tim, if we can ever find the time to get together and go to the range, we can indeed throw some big, slow moving lead down range.

These are a few photos of my pride and joy, a 1886 Winchester in 45-70. My Granddad bought it used in 1932 and had a letter from Winchester stating it was manufactured in 1906. My Granddad gave several rifles to my dad in the late 60's and early 70's. I initially got the Model 94, circa 1935 vintage, in 30-30 to carry around and shoot. My dad slowly passed a few to me in the 90's.

IMG_0492.jpg
IMG_0493.jpg
IMG_0499.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What an interesting rear sight!

Can you tell us anything about it?

The rear peep was an option on early Winchester rifles.

Early Winchester lever action rifles were the best, no two ways about it. Were I a collector of firearms, I'd have several. As it is, I have all the rifles I could possibly need, but my dad does have a lovely Model 64 in 30-30 which will some day enter the fold. It'll then accompany me to the deer woods, every autumn, just as it has my father for decades upon decades.

It's original equipment, as far as I know. My dad and I never played with the elevation too much and we typically hand loaded the lighter, 300 gr bullets. I always thought there was so much elevation adjustment that the rifle would end up being like a mortar and sort of lob in the rounds. The peep sight has a small hole and then folds down to given a larger peep or ghost ring.

a new member to the lever action family, yesterday are trappers rendezvous I found this Winchester 1892 saddle ring carbine in 25-20. I looked it over and and saw it was well carried and used, but the bore was ex with no pits or corrosion at all and as I like the been there done that it came home with me.

DSCN0510 (2).JPG
DSCN0511 (2).JPG
DSCN0512 (2).JPG
DSCN0513 (2).JPG

fall turkeys, groundhog, porky,s and maybe a few squirrles. I think its a little light for deer (i know it would kill them). I have a marlin 94 CL in 25-20 and 32-20 that use for the light stuff and just plain fun gunning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.