Lever action

Want to get myself a lever action rifle. Any advice on make and caliber I should buy.

Although I've seen a few recent crap Browning barrels, I'd still roll the dice on their lever.

I have two very old Winchesters that my Grandfather gave to my Dad and my Dad gave to me. One's a 30-30 and the other is a 45-70. Both are fun to shoot. Neither were made to mount a scope. A Marlin, with side eject, might be worth looking at if you want a lever action and need a scope.
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action.

The Browning BLR probably offers the more caliber options than any lever action.

Marlin 45-70 model 1894 is a fun rifle!

I second the Marlin 1894 - my brother has our grandfather's old 30-30 with an octagon barrel. I may have to "borrow" that one day :whistle:

I’m personally dying for a Winchester 94 in .44 mag

Just too cheap to drop the money on a “fun” gun right now that really won’t fill any niche or new role that’s not already covered...

Find a Winchester/Browning model 71 in 348, great Elk or Moose gun. If willing to by used the Savage 99 or Winchester 88 shoot modern calibers. If you want something odd and have the money, have Wild West Guns or Turnbill make you one.

As was mentioned check out Henry Repeating Arms they have the most calibers available along with pistol calibers that make shooting fun.

I have a Browning 71 in .348 Win that is very fun to shoot. The problem with it is that there are very few manufactures of .340 Win ammo. I should of bought a truck load when I purchase the rifle. Even reloadable brass is very hard to come by, that is unless you want to pay a premium price.

Since your stated purpose is mainly gong shooting I’d look at the Henry Long Ranger. The only reason I’d pick it over a BLR is the trigger is much better.

If hunting was the main proposition I’d get a Marlin if I hunted mostly in what my understanding of Bushveld is. If hunting open veld I’d go with a Long Ranger.

I also knew if I ever got a lever gun it would be a Winchester. Ten or so years ago when I finally pulled the trigger I purchased a Marlin 336 due to their scope compatibility compared to a Winchester and because Marlins are much easier to disassemble for cleaning, at least I think they are.

I’m all about triggers so I did get a Wild West Happy trigger for it. They are well worth the money to me. I had a decent scope on it for eight years, a Fullfield II, 2-7x35. A couple of years ago the thought occurred to me that just about everyone I know goes fairly inexpensive when scoping a lever gun. There is no reason for that for my use so I upgraded to a VX-3 1.75-6x32 and had the Custom Shop put a German #4 in it. I really like that rifle/scope combo.

I would love to have two Long Rangers, one rebarreled to 7mm-08 and the other to .338 Federal, both with .22” barrels.

kv3kuF2.jpg

Attachments

• kv3kuF2.jpg
    kv3kuF2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 282
Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would only look at buying older Lever Action rifles. All of mine are over 60 years old most closer to 90. They shoot. Not to sure about the new ones though. For your stated purpose a Savage model 99 in 308 Winchester would be my recommendation.

Personally I would only look at buying older Lever Action rifles. All of mine are over 60 years old most closer to 90. They shoot. Not to sure about the new ones though. For your stated purpose a Savage model 99 in 308 Winchester would be my recommendation.

A Model 99 in 250-300o is on my bucket list.

for Gong shooting... A Winchester 1895 in .405, with an aperture sight on the back

Winchester-Model-1895-Deluxe-Rifle-303-British_100838945_221_E59E3DD3A0A22880.jpg

Attachments

• Winchester-Model-1895-Deluxe-Rifle-303-British_100838945_221_E59E3DD3A0A22880.jpg
    Winchester-Model-1895-Deluxe-Rifle-303-British_100838945_221_E59E3DD3A0A22880.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
for Gong shooting... A Winchester 1895 in .405, with an aperture sight on the back

That rifle right there is one of the sexiest ones that John Browning designed.

Find a Winchester/Browning model 71 in 348, great Elk or Moose gun. If willing to by used the Savage 99 or Winchester 88 shoot modern calibers. If you want something odd and have the money, have Wild West Guns or Turnbill make you one.
What he said. Another option would be a 1895 in 405 or 3006. Very nice guns. Winchester did a recent run...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross