Leopard Hunt

Wish you great success.

Good luck @mistyron1 ! I hope to be able to add my name to the leopard hunter list for 2017 soon!

I hunted last year with Nick Nolte and took a beautiful big Tom on the fourth night of a 10 day hunt. We had cats come in on the second and third nights but swirling winds gave us away. My son missed a big Tom on the sixth night as well, he's booking another hunt with Nick next year as well. Had a great time and Nick is really a character!
Good luck.

Nick is the man for leopard in Namibia. Never hunted with him but too many people that have all have good things to say.

@mistyron1 congratulations on booking the hunt. I was in Zim this past August and it is a great time to be there. Good luck and keep us updated!

I've booked a hunt with JWK safaris in Zimbabwe (Matetsi). Was initially going to take my daughter to Namibia but she decided not to go. I've hunted in Namibia for plains game and South Africa for Buffalo and have always wanted to hunt Zimbabwe. It's booked for August 2017 and I'm beyond excited. Leopard hunting is at the top of my bucket list..... Thanks to the outfitters who responded and gave me info. I'm planning on overnighting in Johannesburg and then to Victoria Falls in the morning. I've stayed at the Afton House on my other trip to Namibia but wanted to see what other options there are.

Congratulations. I look forward to the report and a photo of you with a beautiful Tom.

I hunted last year with Nick Nolte and took a beautiful big Tom on the fourth night of a 10 day hunt. We had cats come in on the second and third nights but swirling winds gave us away. My son missed a big Tom on the sixth night as well, he's booking another hunt with Nick next year as well. Had a great time and Nick is really a character!
Good luck.

Maybe I am not understanding it right but you say you got your cat on 4th night. I thought you could not hunt leopards at night time in Namibia. Like what time of day are we talking that you got your cat.

All the best for the leopard and success.

Good luck! Get a big one!

Can
Maybe I am not understanding it right but you say you got your cat on 4th night. I thought you could not hunt leopards at night time in Namibia. Like what time of day are we talking that you got your cat.

Can't answer the question regarding bigbore but I think the rule is artificial light.

Full moon and top end German glass with a big objective should work.

Hopefully a Namibian that is much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Nick is a great outfitter and very well respected. @Bigbore1 didn't say it was shot at night, he said on the 3rd night. Could have been late afternoon or last light.

Hopefully a Namibian that is much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

You asked for it.

"Hunting at night.

38. (1) Subject to the provisions of section 37 and Chapter IV, no person shall without the permission of the Executive Committee hunt any game or other wild animal, other than a problem animal-

(a) with the aid of artificial light;

(b) during the period from half an hour after sunset on any day to half an hour before sunrise on the following day.
..........."

You asked for it.

"Hunting at night.

38. (1) Subject to the provisions of section 37 and Chapter IV, no person shall without the permission of the Executive Committee hunt any game or other wild animal, other than a problem animal-

(a) with the aid of artificial light;

(b) during the period from half an hour after sunset on any day to half an hour before sunrise on the following day.
..........."

It's always great having a guru around!

Nick is a great outfitter and very well respected. @Bigbore1 didn't say it was shot at night, he said on the 3rd night. Could have been late afternoon or last light.

He said he took his cat on the 4th night and that is why I ask my question. I was trying to understand how they did this as that guy he hunted with must have some good tricks to get it done at the rate he does. I never said he took it at night but had a question on what time he may have taken it.

Leopard is the only animal I may think about doing in the big 5 and I am trying to learn some tricks. I do know on a full moon with my scopes I can see animals so that could be one of the tricks is pick the full moon.

Would a night vision scope be an artificial light by the rule they have in place.

@billc it doesn't matter what light you use, the time is half hour after sunset and half hour before sunrise in Namibia. Mozambique is different we can use lights and hunt all night on leopard.

@billc Just as a side note it is illegal to travel outside the US with night vision newer than Gen 1.
1/2 hour before or after can be pretty darn dark. You could use night vision during that time with out breaking the law.

Thanks guys for that info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross