Leopard Hunt

I hunted with Nick when lights were still legal for all leopard hunting. Nick also hunts a lot of "problem cats." Most are shot on cattle ranches and often in an area and time where a cat has hit a calf. He may be able to take advantage of the deprivation clause. If someone doesn't take care of them, the rancher will - usually with a bottle of strychnine - which can be very hard on honey badgers, vultures, and Brown Hyenas.

He said he took his cat on the 4th night and that is why I ask my question. I was trying to understand how they did this as that guy he hunted with must have some good tricks to get it done at the rate he does. I never said he took it at night but had a question on what time he may have taken it.

Leopard is the only animal I may think about doing in the big 5 and I am trying to learn some tricks. I do know on a full moon with my scopes I can see animals so that could be one of the tricks is pick the full moon.

Would a night vision scope be an artificial light by the rule they have in place.

FYI. Most all cats in Namibia are taken at night. Just so you know how it works. It is a real shame they don't allow the use of dogs. THe reason being is that Namibia has lots of livestock ranches and when a leopard comes in and kills they just kill it and it's perfectly legal.
So it's legal for the rancher to shoot it by ANY means but not a paying hunter! Whereas if dogs were legal you'd go to Namibia hunt plainsgame and wait on a call from a rancher and head out with dogs to get on the fresh track. It would be better for all involved!
Sad thing is even some PH's support the night hunting/dog hunting ban to their own detriment.
You see I don't believe in Any of these laws. I believe he govt should set a quota for he animals and how you get them is your business.,
Regards,
Philip

Yes, in Zambia it's also only legal 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset, no lamps or other things are legal. But we are lucky to have cats on bait in daylight in Luangwa Valley.. To take a "ones in a lifetime" game with a touch.... I think it would be so much memorable to take a respectful game as a Leopard in daylight.

This male is still out there, and during test baits he use to visit the bait from 6-10 in the morning..
Best regards,
Michael
05140155 (1).JPG

Last edited:
FYI. Most all cats in Namibia are taken at night. Just so you know how it works. It is a real shame they don't allow the use of dogs. THe reason being is that Namibia has lots of livestock ranches and when a leopard comes in and kills they just kill it and it's perfectly legal.
So it's legal for the rancher to shoot it by ANY means but not a paying hunter! Whereas if dogs were legal you'd go to Namibia hunt plainsgame and wait on a call from a rancher and head out with dogs to get on the fresh track. It would be better for all involved!
Sad thing is even some PH's support the night hunting/dog hunting ban to their own detriment.
You see I don't believe in Any of these laws. I believe he govt should set a quota for he animals and how you get them is your business.,
Regards,
Philip
There were some great dog hunting operations in Namibia - the scenario you describe was ideal - But there were also operators releasing trapped leopards (often a bit chemically subdued) out of cages twenty minutes before the client appeared. Was hard to always schedule that calf kill exactly when the paying customer was in the area.

@Red Leg I think some of that still goes on. I saw a "track" hunt for leopard, where you pick up a track and follow them.

I have also heard of we "were driving to the bait and there was a leopard just laying there under a tree". When you are checking references and you get stories like this more then once it makes you ponder.

The above discussions are why I personally intend to steer away from DG "hunts" in RSA and in the farm country of Namibia as long as I can. I'm happy for clients who have had great experiences on such hunts, and I'm sure many more will. And very sorry to the legit operators, but you know one bad apple spoils the barrel. And I know from experience that even an operator with a great reputation and references can loose focus and get "a bit careless with the truth". Do we as customers and clients deserve to have to live with any doubts?

And I'm sure it happens in the wilder places as well but with leopard, check for tracks days on end, find a fresh track and put the dogs on it, chase it several miles, tree it and have it get away and then get lucky and tree it again.. Pretty solid that is a true wild fair chase hunt. No way that type of a cat has been drugged. I don't like to even have to ponder the concept. Spend this much on a hunt and you should not be subject to any doubts. Better to spend a couple thousand more and know you did it right, and everyone around you did as well.

To me this can be the best and most sporting fair chase way to hunt leopard. You really cannot spot and stalk them... And with this method, the leopard knows he is being chased. Is it more sporting to ambush him from a hide? I really don't know of other viable options.

Likewise get out where there are no fences, track elephant and/or buffalo into the thick stuff, walking many miles per day.... You know you are on a real HUNT. I love the memories of having real questions if I was going to be successful. And having to dig deep emotionally as well as physically to push through and persevere. God I love it so!

........... You really cannot spot and stalk them... .......!

You sissy , I can spot and stalk Leopard. ;)
Damn things jump out in front of me all the bloody time. However, this is not the typical scenario for Leopard hunts anywhere.

............... I have also heard of we "were driving to the bait and there was a leopard just laying there under a tree". .

I have actually watched a wild Leopard do just this in day light. Bloody weirdest damn Leopard I have seen. I am pretty sure they could pull this off in Zambia right now without to much of a stretch.

When you are checking references and you get stories like this more then once it makes you ponder.

But, I agree that if you call up references and everyone is having a magical Leopard experience I would start to wonder.

Last edited:
I have actually watched a wild Leopard do just this in day light. Bloody weirdest damn Leopard I have seen. I am pretty sure they could pull this off in Zambia right now without to much of a stretch.

But, I agree that if you call up references and everyone is having a magical Leopard experience I would start to wonder.

OK Zambia, yes this is real possibility right now. But when it became common occurrence, especially early in the hunt... Hmmmmm, not saying it isn't possible just seemed odd.

OK Zambia, yes this is real possibility right now. But when it became common occurrence, especially early in the hunt... Hmmmmm, not saying it isn't possible just seemed odd.

If it were a common occurrence, I'm with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielleRo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.