Leopard bullet choice

I love both partitions and accubond from my 300 win. I just do not recommend shooting anything from short distance with a accubond LR. They seem to blow up very fast.
 
Confidence in your gun is a must. I bought a poster of a leopard and shot it at different positions. When the time comes you want it to be second nature.

I had a Trijicon with a reticle on my 375 and was great in low light. I have a Trijicon with a post as well but I liked to box in the target with reticle. For some reason I would drift a little with the post. Good luck and don’t overthink or second guess.
 
I would ask my PH, his opinion is the only one that is most important.
 
Good luck John, wish I was going too. Other hunts planned ahead of another leopard try.
 
I love both partitions and accubond from my 300 win. I just do not recommend shooting anything from short distance with a accubond LR. They seem to blow up very fast.
Guess there is going to be a give and take on that issue. If successful I guess my taxidermist will have a little more repair work. If I had my choice I would just use the Barnes triple shock that my gun was built/sighted in with. But the consensus is that's the wrong bullet.
 
Ok guy's I'd like some opinions on bullet choice for my up coming leopard hunt. I am bringing my 300 WSM and most likely use 180 grain Nosler Partions in it as it groups very well with them and I also have the Barnes TTSX. I ve heard opinions that I should not use the Barnes as it is too fast and will not open quickly enough on the thin skinned animal. My other thought was to bring my 375 Ruger shooting 300 grain Swift A frames, opinion?
I would use either the .375 Ruger (first choice as bigger usually better) or if you are going to use the .300 I would use Swift Sicrocco as it expands faster. I wish the made the Sicrocco in .375. I need a more expanding .375 bullet-and ideas? Do not use Barnes on leopard please.
Philip
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 8.43.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 8.43.37 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 384
Guys,

Maybe listening to Phil might be the smart thing to do as he has done mortal hand to hand combat with a wounded leopard that was attempting to kill his pH and though many would have ran and saved their own skin, Phil stayed and risked his own life to save he life of another.

To me, Phil is a true hunting legend and hero who deserves the respect and admiration of every member here.

Phil! I tip my hat........
 
I would use either the .375 Ruger (first choice as bigger usually better) or if you are going to use the .300 I would use Swift Sicrocco as it expands faster. I wish the made the Sicrocco in .375. I need a more expanding .375 bullet-and ideas? Do not use Barnes on leopard please.
Philip


The 250gr version might be a better choice for leopard. Works great on PG.
 
Since I don't reload I am going with the accubonds in the 270 wsm and the nosler in my 300 wsm.
 
John, isn't .375 minimum for DG?
I'm currently working on a leopard for this year too. Just got the offer couple days ago.
Since I don't reload I am going with the accubonds in the 270 wsm and the nosler in my 300 wsm.
 
Roger,
Minimum chambering/caliber for Mr. Spots varies with jurisdiction. It is common practice to use everything from a 270 to a 375.
 
Johnny, good luck with your cat.
I just booked a leopard for June. October I'll be in Kyrgyzstan for Ibex.
 
i have not shot a leopard so, i would ask your out fitter or IVW.

i have read a lot about it. the consensus seems to be... a fairly lightly built bullet, stepping pretty fast on a broadside in at least 26 caliber. then the big thing is shot placement. woodleigh makes great bullets, north fork percussion points, hawk bullets makes a bonded soft that really expands and holds together and many conventional softs will work as well, because they are soft and NOT great bullets.

good luck on your hunt, a great shot placement will do you the most good, a soft bullet will seal the deal.
 
  • Like
Reactions: IvW
Good luck Roger!
 
I've heard that the 10 ga 3 1/2" with a Magnum load of 000 buckshot will not let you down.
 
I've heard that the 10 ga 3 1/2" with a Magnum load of 000 buckshot will not let you down.
On a charge I would agree.
 
John, isn't .375 minimum for DG?
I'm currently working on a leopard for this year too. Just got the offer couple days ago.
No, not for leopard most places. And not he best choice almost anywhere. A relatively fast opening .243 would be better than a slow opening.375. However, putting it in the right place is what matters. Anything, through both lungs, he is dead. Nick just one and everyone is in for a long few hours.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,301
Messages
1,572,117
Members
169,494
Latest member
EthanL7457
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top