Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hey all,

So, I'm just putting this out there on the off chance that it might result in something. I'm looking for any left-handed doubles. Preferably what I'm looking for is a project: something I can work on over time. Please can you guys keep an eye out and let me know if anything comes up? Obviously I don't have the money to have one made, but I can make a plan for a project.

I know it's a long shot, but it will never happen if I don't ask around.

Regards,
Alexandro

Left handed double? There are only two issues - cast which is the slight left or right bending of the stock to place it under the shooting eye - any competent double-gun gunsmith can bend a stock so it is ideal for a lefty. The other issue is triggers where the forward (right barrel) trigger is slightly to the right of the rear trigger. That said, I know a number of left handed shooters and none find that an issue at all. In fact a couple of early makers built right hand guns with front trigger to the left to speed up acquisition of the second trigger and shot. So the only thing that really makes a "left hand double" a left hand double is that 1/8 - 1/4 inch bend to the right.

Try finding a fixer upper that fits, my double had a slight cast for a right handed shooter but I shoot it just fine...

Mine's a over under in 470 so not sure if that has any effect on the triggers and barrels... Bottom barrel firing first.

It fits well so I reckon that makes a bit of a difference.
Good luck! Any caliber preference?

My best always

Left handed double? There are only two issues - cast which is the slight left or right bending of the stock to place it under the shooting eye - any competent double-gun gunsmith can bend a stock so it is ideal for a lefty. The other issue is triggers where the forward (right barrel) trigger is slightly to the right of the rear trigger. That said, I know a number of left handed shooters and none find that an issue at all. In fact a couple of early makers built right hand guns with front trigger to the left to speed up acquisition of the second trigger and shot. So the only thing that really makes a "left hand double" a left hand double is that 1/8 - 1/4 inch bend to the right.

very interesting....

i'm left handed and like with most things I tend to over think this. I believe that what you are indirectly saying is that if the rest of the rifle fits properly then the triggers end up not mattering, correct?

I grew up shooting a 16 gauge double barrel that was too short for me, which would lead to my middle finger banging the trigger gaurd (dang thing would end up swelled double in size!) sometimes it would get so bad that I would shoot back trigger first. :) At the time I didn't realize the LOP was too short, but know that now. The issues here should be the same I would think.

I am a left handed shooter in a right handed world. As mentioned getting a stock bent for you is easy to do, while you are at it have your Gunsmith heat and turn the triggers forward or facing slightly to the left. I have been shooting guns with top levers opening to the right for so long I doubt I could run a "left" handed top lever....
Good luck Good Shooting.

Hey all,

So, I'm just putting this out there on the off chance that it might result in something. I'm looking for any left-handed doubles. Preferably what I'm looking for is a project: something I can work on over time. Please can you guys keep an eye out and let me know if anything comes up? Obviously I don't have the money to have one made, but I can make a plan for a project.

I know it's a long shot, but it will never happen if I don't ask around.

Regards,
Alexandro

Hi Alexandro - I shoot a double and am also a left handed shooter. All the info relayed to you seems really good and accurate. I have a Merkel .470 with a straight stock and no modifications to the triggers or anything else - the gun fits and shooting it accurately is not a problem. I thought about doing many of the modifications mentioned but never got around to it - I don't feel that it has been a disadvantage in operating the gun.
As always practice is key.
I like mine so much now that I feel I could dove hunt with it - and am reluctant to change anything about it!
Now, I also understand projects and wish you the best! Please keep me updated on how you proceed with the left handed double and what seems to work and not work with your conversion. I have yet to see one modified as such and would be interested in the results, problems and cost associated with the modifications.

My Krieghoff Classic Big Five was ordered with a left-hand stock, so everything is fine regarding stock. Never ever thought of the triggers, which means they are fine as well.

My best friend ordered a Heym 88b at the same time I got mine. His and mine are consecutively serial numbered. His has a stock with left-handed palm swell and the triggers cant to the left as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross