Learn from my mistakes - Buffalo

Good job getting it done! I keep shooting if they are moving and sometimes I get some fun poked at me for it but I don't care. Last Buff hunt I did was this past June, 19 shots for 3 bulls.
Respectfully, with that much experience and practice, I have to ask—why did it take 19 shots to put down three bulls? Seems like an unusually high round count for three animals. Just curious what happened.
 
Respectfully, with that much experience and practice, I have to ask—why did it take 19 shots to put down three bulls? Seems like an unusually high round count for three animals. Just curious what happened.
If they are moving I’m still shooting. All goes down in less than a minute. I don’t wait for them to fall over.
 
So you can get more than six shots off at a moving buffalo with a double? That’s quite an achievement.
 
So you can get more than six shots off at a moving buffalo with a double? That’s quite an achievement.
I don’t think so? Dave Langerman can chime in if he wants. Last hunt I did was with him. It doesn’t take too much time to get off 6 shots.
 
@Longwalker, thanks for the candid story. Glad it worked out for you in the end. What do you think was the reason for your shooting? Wobbly on sticks, perhaps?
My reason for a poor first shot was my state of mind, not my shooting skills. We'd stalked to perhaps 50 - 60 meters. He was bedded broadside to us. Facing left. We were viewing him through a tunnel in long grass, he was in the clear but a couple steps and he'd disappear. I was warned by my PH not to attempt a shot while he was bedded. So I watched the bedded buffalo with finger on trigger and thumb on safety for a "very" long time, maybe a minute. Enough time to develop some unhelpful nerves.
When the bull got up, he rocked back on his haunches like they always do. Then foreward, as he straightened out his front end. I had plenty of time, but was stupidly in a hurry. Crosshairs followed him back, and up. That's why my first shot was two hand widths too high and the same amount too far back. Exactly where I'd aimed. Also I have killed many Canadian deer, elk, moose, etc. with that same bullet placement. But, Buffalo are not elk. Their lungs are situated much further forward and are relatively small compared to the chest area.
I stopped thinking and relied on instinct and habit. It was "bull fever" and no other excuse.
And for the record, I ALWAYS shoot any game animal again if there is any doubt whatsoever that the first isn't a quickly fatal shot. Especially dangerous game. This was my fourth buffalo. I've shot all of them more than once.
 
Here's a couple photos of the buffalo I shot in Mozambique last week. Presentation was broadside. .375 /300gr. Barnes TSX.
First shot was placed too high and too far back. According to most of the anatomy diagrams I've seen it still should have damaged both lungs. It's still in the "vital triangle" But when butchering we could only see damage to one lung, and just the very top lobe. He would have gone a very long ways, maybe even been lost, if I had not shot again.

The 2nd shot was too low. It broke the humerus, but no part of that bullet entered the chest cavity.
3rd shot was similar but didn't hit the big bone either.
a 4th shot was also too low, in a horizontal line with shots 2&3.

So I had the vitals " surrounded" but none of those shots were very good.
I knew my first shot was pulled high, and in mild panic I deliberately aimed the follow up shots low to compensate. Too Low. The rifle was also shooting a bit below the aiming point, and that combination made the three follow up shots non-vital hits.
He ran at least 200M after the first hit
Another shot from the rear placed near the base of the tail is what stopped his retreat.
Kinda embarrassing. I know better, but maybe you can learn from my errors. View attachment 788117View attachment 788118
All is well that ends well! Congrats on a great buff!
 
Here's a couple photos of the buffalo I shot in Mozambique last week. Presentation was broadside. .375 /300gr. Barnes TSX.
First shot was placed too high and too far back. According to most of the anatomy diagrams I've seen it still should have damaged both lungs. It's still in the "vital triangle" But when butchering we could only see damage to one lung, and just the very top lobe. He would have gone a very long ways, maybe even been lost, if I had not shot again.

The 2nd shot was too low. It broke the humerus, but no part of that bullet entered the chest cavity.
3rd shot was similar but didn't hit the big bone either.
a 4th shot was also too low, in a horizontal line with shots 2&3.

So I had the vitals " surrounded" but none of those shots were very good.
I knew my first shot was pulled high, and in mild panic I deliberately aimed the follow up shots low to compensate. Too Low. The rifle was also shooting a bit below the aiming point, and that combination made the three follow up shots non-vital hits.
He ran at least 200M after the first hit
Another shot from the rear placed near the base of the tail is what stopped his retreat.
Kinda embarrassing. I know better, but maybe you can learn from my errors. View attachment 788117View attachment 788118
This situation is only gonna MAKE you deadlier....the next buffalo aint gonna be so lucky now that you're locked in
 
great buff......nice boss. Your first shot looks decent and taking some big bone out on the follow-ups put you in an excellent position. Not sure how much deviation you'd get with a .375 300 grain but punching thru that thick hide and heavy bone is no joke. Respectfully speaking, you may be looking at this upside down. Your situation speaks more to the tenacity and strength of the old battler you brought down than to poor shot placement. The shots were not bad at all and having the clarity of thought and action to keep firing (and hitting!) got you to the winners circle. Simply stated he was just an especially tough old bull and you dropped him. That is why buffalo are such a coveted and difficult animal to hunt. Kudos to you !
 
Respectfully, with that much experience and practice, I have to ask—why did it take 19 shots to put down three bulls? Seems like an unusually high round count for three animals. Just curious what happened.
for what its worth, a client and i shot 15 times at ONE brown bear. some hits, some misses, alders in the way and dark conditions. not everything goes according to plan all the time. however, we did recover the bear (the next morning) its a whole story, but it all started with a poor first shot (the clients obviously)

my point: sometimes it just takes more than one shot and as a guide/PH you kinda get what the client gives you.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,572,952
Members
169,660
Latest member
nikitawati
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top