Largest Hunting Concession South Africa?

Partly true,
There are a lot of farms in SA with self sustaining wild herds and challenging hunting which does cater to locals and biltong hunters and they do not spend the time and money to advertise for international hunters.
Their prices are way lower than all of the advertising outfitters here and I was lucky enough to be on a property like that with a resident and it wasn't monkeys!
International hunters pay extra for a lot of stuff like transportation, nice accommodations, good food, drinks, hand holding, paper work etc..
It's not always you get what you pay for....
However for most people here it's beyond their time commitment, capability and connections to pull off something like that.
i aslo cater to south african clients, same accomodation, same food, same drinks.
at a rate less than international hunters.
international hunters do get more looking after, often they are alone in camp or a small group with same amount of staff, more paperwork , more admin, and international hunters by law, have to work through an outfitter and be accompanied by a PH, (local SA) hunters do not
i operate according to the law.
i would expect nothing less than this if i hunt in a foreign country, and happy to pay for it.

Who will sign off your paperwork for exportation of your trophies?
Who will sign off for him to bring a rifle & ammo into the country? I am sure he will say I will just use my buddy, resident, PH’s rifle. People like that and I mean both the non-res & the so called PH are embarresements.

There is no disagreement . Plenty of good places to hunt in RSA. As for me, my research is complete. I’ll be spending my money again in Zim for sure and possibly Moz and Bots in future , but not RSA.
I look forward to your hunt and trip reports!

Who will sign off for him to bring a rifle & ammo into the country? I am sure he will say I will just use my buddy, resident, PH’s rifle. People like that and I mean both the non-res & the so called PH are embarresements.
So you come to my country as a friend and I'll take you out hunting are you going to be an embarassement? What a novel concept!
I guess the more someone pays the less embarrassing it gets for you.

There are much more embarrassing things that occur with South Africa’s hunting/farming industry that are fully legal. Taking a friend hunting and charging at cost with no attempt to export I wouldn’t put in that category.

So you come to my country as a friend and I'll take you out hunting are you going to be an embarassement? What a novel concept!
That comment shouldn’t have been made against you, but you probably also shouldn’t widely publicize it either. I can’t see anything wrong with it if you were charged at cost, hunted privately owned land and privately owned game, and didn’t export. Just a friend taking another friend hunting.

That comment shouldn’t have been made against you, but you probably also shouldn’t widely publicize it. I can’t see anything wrong with it if you were charged at cost, hunter privately owned land and privately owned game, and didn’t export.
Agreed.
There are people here who can't stand anything said in the way of their profits and legal but embarrassing practices.

I think one thing being left out is the age, fitness level, and experience of the hunter. A typical youngster on his first big game hunt probably wouldn't really care if he were hunting on 3,000 acres, or 300,000. All he knows is that he's having a great time doing something he's only read about.

I also believe most female hunters are not going to tolerate a place with no proper facilities, poor food and other discomforts. My gal loves hunting, but a warm bed at the lodge is more important than any set of antlers or horns.

I'd scale snow capped peaks in search of those huge horned Rams in Alaska, or sweat buckets tracking an Elephant through tall grass, but 99% of my friends wouldn't go along on such a hunt.

Compromises have to be made, and the size of any hunting area is no exception.

I think one thing being left out is the age, fitness level, and experience of the hunter. A typical youngster on his first big game hunt probably wouldn't really care if he were hunting on 3,000 acres, or 300,000. All he knows is that he's having a great time doing something he's only read about.

I also believe most female hunters are not going to tolerate a place with no proper facilities, poor food and other discomforts. My gal loves hunting, but a warm bed at the lodge is more important than any set of antlers or horns.

I'd scale snow capped peaks in search of those huge horned Rams in Alaska, or sweat buckets tracking an Elephant through tall grass, but 99% of my friends wouldn't go along on such a hunt.

Compromises have to be made, and the size of any hunting area is no exception.
I agree with the point I think you are trying to make. There are a lot of trade offs to compare and make a final decision. However, large private properties usually have very nice camps because they can accommodate more hunters at the same time and throughout the year. Smaller properties don’t have the number of hunters and often can’t justify the expense unless it’s the outfitter’s home. Many small properties won’t even have a camp, you’ll stay somewhere else and drive each day. However, I’ve never had a camp in Africa that wasn’t comfortable with good food and running hot and cold water, even wilderness camps. The nicest lodge I’ve stayed at was on an 80,000 acre property in Namibia with small pool, bar/lunch area, dinner area, reading room, and more has been added since from photos I’ve seen. There were 4 PHs/trucks hunting at one time there for a Feb-Nov season. You almost need to search out a bad camp by most American standards on private land hunts in South Africa or Namibia.

I agree with the point I think you are trying to make. There are a lot of trade offs to compare and make a final decision. However, large private properties usually have very nice camps because they can accommodate more hunters at the same time and throughout the year. Smaller properties don’t have the number of hunters and often can’t justify the expense unless it’s the outfitter’s home. Many small properties won’t even have a camp, you’ll stay somewhere else and drive each day. However, I’ve never had a camp in Africa that wasn’t comfortable with good food and running hot and cold water, even wilderness camps. The nicest lodge I’ve stayed at was on an 80,000 acre property in Namibia with small pool, bar/lunch area, dinner area, reading room, and more has been added since from photos I’ve seen. There were 4 PHs/trucks hunting at one time there for a Feb-Nov season. You almost need to search out a bad camp by most American standards on private land hunts in South Africa or Namibia.
One thing you will never have to worry about in either a wilderness camp or a game ranch south of the Sahara is some fellow desperately needing a bath dolling out supper from a large can of Dinty Moore beef stew. :oops: I expect others here have been there and done that as well.

You are totally missing or ignoring the point he made on legality. Take Alaska for example. When I was a resident it would be totally illegal for me to take you hunting sheep, goat, griz or
Muskox. Doesn’t matter how good a friend you are. What he’s trying to tell you in a nice way is that RSA has similar and potentially more restrictive laws. It sounds great to take a buddy hunting, as long as it’s legal. I suspect that you skated over the line on your buddy hunt in RSA.

One thing you will never have to worry about in either a wilderness camp or a game ranch south of the Sahara is some fellow desperately needing a bath dolling out supper from a large can of Dinty Moore beef stew. :oops: I expect others here have been there and done that as well.
There are definitely some rough wilderness camps. I think you’d need to look hard to find an outfitter offering private land hunts in South Africa or Namibia that wouldn’t have a high quality camp. Cameroon wasn’t 5 star but I also wasn’t cutting the greenish meat off the outside before cooking extra well done like on day 10 in the Yukon. Most African camps are a very high standard even the wilderness camps, but not all are best for women either. My PH did ruin my day in Cameroon though when he sarcastically said if I would have shot eland on Day 5 we could be in camp eating ice cream. I looked forward to that Ice cream all day on like day 10 until I was reminded the freezer only runs about 3 hours a day to keep some meat cool and it was a very long hot drive from town with supplies.

You are totally missing or ignoring the point he made on legality. Take Alaska for example. When I was a resident it would be totally illegal for me to take you hunting sheep, goat, griz or
Muskox. Doesn’t matter how good a friend you are. What he’s trying to tell you in a nice way is that RSA has similar and potentially more restrictive laws. It sounds great to take a buddy hunting, as long as it’s legal. I suspect that you skated over the line on your buddy hunt in RSA.
completely agree WAB!!! he missed the point Lon was making. legality is legality

The bottom line to all the things stated here is this in my opinion. All barbwire fencing is free- range and fair chase hunting. Which as East mans Tv states “ the only way to hunt and take big game is by fair chase”. So the 64 million dollar question is - is the high fenced property you are hunting anywhere in the world - fair chase. Most of the time you’re not going to be able to answer this until you’ve been there- no matter what you’re told. Large size is definitely the best indicator, but the terrain is crucial also. Some of my best hunts in Africa have been in both environments. The ones that weren’t so good under high fence I still consider good live target practice because I’ve never been one to bust clays or bing silhouettes!!!!
The trophies that mean the most to me? It was a fair chase.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am hunting illegally in any country or if I provide illegal hunts, I am an embarresment.

Every few years my wife who is an avid fly fisher go to the states. When we reach our destination the first thing she does is buy a non- resident fishing license. She follows all of the regulations of the Colorado Fish & Wildlife act. She fishes with top fly fishing guides at no charge, because they are long time friends. Nothing illegal no gray areas.

If my wife violated the law while fishing with a pro and was cited and went before a judge. I would hope she would not try to use your defense.

If her fishing guide knew that she was violating the law, both of them would be an embarrassment to me.

Profit has nothing to do with it.

Lon

Who and where are the largest contiguous hunting concessions or game farms in South Africa? This is one of those factors that is always hidden from us as hunters and I’d like to know more. Anyone have the facts and figures?

Regards,
Philip
Hi Philip.

In my opinion, the APNR is the biggest hunting area in SA it is well over 360 000acres combined and open to Kruger National park, it shares boundaries with Mpumalanga as well as Limpopo and is only fenced on the human settlements' side. We get hunting quotas annually shared among a few outfitters that can hunt these areas. The protocol for hunting here is very strict and all hunts are documented by wardens accompanying all outfitters conducting the hunts. We book these hunts well in advance due to the exclusivity of the area. Animals that are popular to hunt there are Buffalo, great Kruger genetics, Elephant, currently closed for international clients, Hyena, hippo and then plains game packages. These packages are bought by the outfitters as one package for one of each animal, then depending on clients sold off individually or as a whole. The advantage of this area is that we have daily flights from OR Tambo international airport toe Hoedspruit and the areas that are hunted are within a 30min drive from the airport, which minimises travel time. Accommodation is a basic tented hunting camp, for instance in Timbavati, but there are 5* lodges that can also accommodated hunters. For the true wild stay, the tented camp offers big 5 roaming through camp on a daily basis.
Please feel free to contact us with any further questions that you might have.
Regards.

If I am hunting illegally in any country or if I provide illegal hunts, I am an embarresment.

Every few years my wife who is an avid fly fisher go to the states. When we reach our destination the first thing she does is buy a non- resident fishing license. She follows all of the regulations of the Colorado Fish & Wildlife act. She fishes with top fly fishing guides at no charge, because they are long time friends. Nothing illegal no gray areas.

If my wife violated the law while fishing with a pro and was cited and went before a judge. I would hope she would not try to use your defense.

If her fishing guide knew that she was violating the law, both of them would be an embarrassment to me.

Lon

I was under the impression that the requirement to have a professional hunter only applies to non-residents who are paying to hunt.

Can you cite to me the law or regulation in South Africa that says it’s illegal to hunt private property for plains game without a PH when money is not being paid?

Sureshot I am not qualified to cite RSA laws. If it is legal I am not opposed since it effects me in no way. Your qualified PH buddy should know. The one thing I do know is high fence game game belongs to the land owner, low fence it belongs to the state. If I am incorrect then please correct me.

I wonder how many more hunters are going to line up to follow in your footstep's, please keep directing them to RSA.

I just remembered one item of RSA law.

All non-resident hunters must hunt under the supervision of a licensed PH and the hunt must be outfitted by a licensed outfitter. Knowing that you have no would certainly not break the law, your plains game PH must also be an outfitter, correct?

Lon
Ok. I don't want to drag this out but since you keep bringing up the illegality and embarresment I need you to explain or accept the fact that the argument you are making is not valid.
If I'm in SA and have a friend who's a PH and taking me out to a ranch (High or Low fence) and letting me use his rifle and we're taking non exportable game for biltong with the written consent of the landowner (who's the outfitter), how is this illegal and how are we violating which law????
Do you think he or I don't know the law or do you know my son is a SA resident right now and I spend a ton of time there? or are you just jumping into the discussion because???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynaUrquh

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.