Largest Hunting Concession South Africa?

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Who and where are the largest contiguous hunting concessions or game farms in South Africa? This is one of those factors that is always hidden from us as hunters and I’d like to know more. Anyone have the facts and figures?

Regards,
Philip

Your question is interestingly phrased since you have the word contiguous in there...

An educated guess would make it Limpopo province but exact location I cannot say.

At NWU (university of the North West) in Potchefstroom, Prof Theuns Eloff headed up a department dealing with game farming and more. In the process they did an audit of game farms across the country and perhaps he might be more specific.

I was going to mention coenraad vermaak safaris. But .375 beat me to it. Low fence on the western side of South Africa.

There are also safari operators that hunt the edge of Kruger national park. Not large concessions by themselves but when you take into the totality of everything it’s pretty impressive.

Not sure why you are asking but I can guess. I am usually wrong when I do that according to my wife. Cane you give us some more particulars?

Edit. Coenraad vermaak does safaris in the timbavati. Right outside Kruger. Graham sales safaris is another in the Kruger area.

Btw I have no connection nor have I hunted with either. I have just read good things about both.

Last edited:
I was going to mention coenraad vermaak safaris. But .375 beat me to it. Low fence on the western side of South Africa.

There are also safari operators that hunt the edge of Kruger national park. Not large concessions by themselves but when you take into the totality of everything it’s pretty impressive.

Not sure why you are asking but I can guess. I am usually wrong when I do that according to my wife. Cane you give us some more particulars?

Edit. Coenraad vermaak does safaris in the timbavati. Right outside Kruger. Graham sales safaris is another in the Kruger area.

Btw I have no connection nor have I hunted with either. I have just read good things about both.
It’s the one piece of information you have try pry out of these outfitters. I simply want to know the details before I go. How many contiguous acres are there where I am hunting? What other ranches do you hunt? Do you own them? Where are they? I’m sure I’ll get some flack from some here but I don’t care, it’s a worthy discussion to have.
As y’all know I’ve hunted many, many places around the world. It never hurts to know the most that you can before planning the next safari.
Philip

I found that Frontier Safaris has 75,000 contiguous acres in the Eastern Cape. They have over 200,000 acres that they own when you combine the Namibia ranches and access to over 1,000,00 total hunting acres. I hunted there long ago on my first Safari.
Anyone gather similar information to share? I find it very interesting and worth the effort to learn more about the places we want to hunt.

CV in the Kalahari, couple of large big 3 to big 5 reserves in Northern KZN(all about 45 000 acres), Venicia Limpopo 71838 Acres, Vembhe Private Game reserve about the same. All open to hunting.

Interesting thread. Not sure if contiguous always means the best trophy quality though. From my experience someone seems to have something better several hours away.... Nevertheless I’d like to hear what folks say.

Phillip, I hear what you are asking. Please just keep in mind that in South Africa, the largest is not always the best. You may find in many cases that some of the relatively smaller areas can be a lot better. I am not slanting the really large areas, they also have their own allure. Good luck finding what you are looking for.

A number of years ago I hunted one of the Kruger reserves for buffalo. These reserves are open to Kruger (no fence), so they are part of a very large are. I would be guessing on the size of the areas themselves but the reserve I was on had to be at least 20 miles square. Inshot an absolutely enormous bull but I have to say that I prefer hunting the truly wild areas of Zim, Bots and Zambia.

I also have been told that CVS Kalahari property is the largest in RSA.

Phillip, I hear what you are asking. Please just keep in mind that in South Africa, the largest is not always the best. You may find in many cases that some of the relatively smaller areas can be a lot better. I am not slanting the really large areas, they also have their own allure. Good luck finding what you are looking for.
Good point Ernest. It’s a curiosity. You know Texans idolize the big ranches like the King Ranch, Wagner, etc!

Just to correct MMAL - the Conrad Vermaak Concession is high fenced and not low fenced.
That is the only way we can get ownership of the game.

The CVS concession is owned by a Russian individual. They are my neighboring ranch and I drive along their high fence every other day.
Their size is about 240 000 acres.
Another game reserve that is not too far away from us is Tswalu Game Reserve.
They might even be bigger than Khamab (CVS conservancy) but there is no more hunting on Tswalu.

CVS runs a very good show and I can recommend them any time.
Sometimes they will run over to me for a day or two to get species that are not on Khamab.

It is always best to hunt the largest open contiguous piece of land with no internal fences that you can find.
The opposite situation where a client spends hours every day on the road running from one small area to another small area is also not what a client wants.

In Botswana is also some massive game ranches.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Sans Souci (Northern Cape, Kalahari), Pongola (KwaZulu/Natal), Grasvandt (NC) are all more than 20.000 hectares.

Mkuzi Falls PGR (KZN) around 40.000 Ha, IIRC, not hunted anymore, I was told.

Not as big as some others but Kalahari Rangers has 24k continuous, but cross fenced. They belong to the same marketing group as Aru. And you can leave your Blaser at home as the camp gun is an R8.

Hi Philip. Hunting large areas is always great. Our Karoo area is one single property of 75 000 acres. Our Coastal area is 3 adjacent properties totalling to approximately 10 000 acres. We have another property where we hunt in our Coastal area that is one property and is about 35 000 acres.

A very legitimate question...

This is a very legitimate question Philip Glass, because there are indeed huge differences in how this all works. Here are a few examples:

Example #1: outfitter ABC state they hunt 60,000 acres. This is technically true, but in fact they own 0 acre and have 30 deals with small ranchers who own 2,000 acres each. In all likelihood, your 7 days hunt will be spend driving 3 to 6 hours on the highway everyday to and from one specific small property each day to hunt in a small enclosure one specific animal. This is probably not the hunt that most people would wish.

Example #2: outfitter DEF state that they hunt 30,000 acres. This is true, but they actually own 6 properties 5,000 acres each, that are not contiguous. This can be a very good hunt ... or not. Questions are warranted. 5,000 acres of dense bush is plenty to hunt on foot. Conversely, 5,000 acres of flat grassy low hills do not take much time to cover with a hunting vehicle.

Example #3: outfitter GHI specializes in Mountain Reedbuck and Vaal Rhebok and owns no property beside a lodge but state they hunt half a million acres. This can be true in the Karoo, Winterberg or Stormberg mountains, and it is likely to be free range hunting with 10 hours walking days on low fence properties covering an entire mountain. This is likely a great hunt, but with likely very low game population density. I personally love it, but many folks coming to Africa prefer to walk less and shoot more. To each their own.

Example #4: outfitter JKL owns 3,000 acres along XYZ National Park with which he shares a 2 miles unfenced border. Sure, game can walk back & forth between his property and the Park, and he technically hunts free ranging Park herds. This can be a fantastic hunt ... if outfitter JKL has on his property the only waterhole in a 15 miles radius on the Park side, but you better know exactly where the boundary line is and plan all your hunts according to it...

Etc. etc.

Size matters...

Based on limited personal experience in South Africa (Eastern Cape and Limpopo), my own personal judgment - for what it is worth! - is that:

- 2,000 acres is the strict minimum property size one should consider for hunting, and only if 1) it is dense bush; 2) the hunt will be on foot; and 3) the hunt is short. After 2 to 3 days walking 2,000 acres you will likely know every stone on the property, and the reality is that most likely a fair number of animals on the property will not have been born on the property.

- 5,000 acres work just fine in dense bush and on foot for 3 to 4 days, and a well managed property can sustain a couple small breeding herds of classic plains game.

- 20,000 acres is a very practical property size in both dense and more open areas such as the Eastern Cape hillsides. You can hunt for 5 to 7 days on 20,000 acres without constantly hunting the same ground, and most animals on well managed and not over-hunted properties will be born on the property if it is not overgrazed and if it has a number of waterholes / water points.

- 50,000+ acres will provide conditions that approach free range hunting with self sustaining herds, and there will be a need to cull excess animals in well managed properties.

Huntershill...

As far as Huntershill is concerned, Greg Harvey owns 4 properties in the Eastern Cape:
  • Huntershill, near Queenstown: we hunt 120,000 acres there. Greg directly owns 55,000 acres that are high fenced in order to retain ownership of the game. We hunt there 70 species, including some that are typically not native to the Eastern Cape. We also have a hunting agreement with the neighbor who owns 65,000+ acres that are only low fenced and on which we hunt free ranging game native to the Eastern Cape, primarily some outstanding Eastern Cape Kudu, Warthog, Duiker, Steenbok, etc.
  • Huntershaven, near Cookhouse: Greg owns and we hunt 20,000 acres there. Huntershaven is located about 2 1/2 hours southwest from Huntershill.
  • Comre Safaris, near Tarkastad: Greg owns and we hunt 22,000 acres there. Comre is located about 1 hour west from Huntershill.
  • Rocklands, near Fort Beaufort: Greg owns and we hunt 6,000 acres there. Rocklands is located 2 hours south from Huntershill in the dense bush near the Katrivier.
  • Additionally, we hunt free range Mountain Reedbuck and Vaal Rhebok near Graaff Reniet and Dordrecht on mountains that are likely in the hundreds of thousands acres each, or more... and we hunt free range Bushbuck along the Groot Visrivier in riparian areas and private farming areas that are several thousands acres each.
Because each property offers a different biotope and ecosystem, each property offers different hunting opportunities and different game, with some - but not full - overlap. For example, Huntershill has the best Kudu and hillsides game, but it is too high in altitude for Bushbuck. Conversely, Rocklands is lower and warmer, with dense bush, and is a great place for Warthog. Comre has fantastic Sable. Huntershaven is very wild. Riparian areas along the Groot Visrivier are Bushbuck paradise. Mountains around Graaff Reniet or Dordrecht are Vaal Rhebok heaven, etc.

The way we (and a few other outfitters who own or have access to large properties) do it, is that hunters can either spend their entire hunt based in one property, and never see a blacktop road in their entire time with us, or they can spend a few days based in several different places (each property has its own lodge) in order to experience different hunting areas and hunt different species.

Bottom line...

I guess that we could say that we hunt approximately 170,000 private acres, plus a couple hundred thousands high mountain acres, and it is technically true, but I prefer to say that we hunt 55,000 high fenced + 65,000 low fenced acres in Huntershill; 20,000 high fenced acres in Huntershaven; 22,000 high fenced acres in Comre; 6,000 high fenced acres in Rocklands; etc. because I believe that this is the reality of the hunting experience.

Indeed, there are no "million acres" concession in South Africa, and this is likely one of the reasons why a typical 10 day hunt in South Africa costs $10,000 as opposed to $40,000 in Tanzania, and it would be unrealistic to expect to shoehorn $40,000 expectations in a $10,000 package, but one can still have the experience of a lifetime hunting South Africa. NO, this will not be Out of Africa's 1910's wild Africa, but this can still be an incredible hunting experience, if honest representations lead to realistic expectations.

The question Philip Glass asks is a very legitimate question, and I would advise anyone going to hunt anywhere in South Africa to ask exactly this question, and a host of follow up questions as appropriate. The answers should not have to be pried out of the operators. If answers are not easily and candidly provided, I would consider it a red flag. It is critical for a successful hunting trip that reality matches expectations :)

Last edited:
Tollies African Safaris of Somerset East in the Eastern Cape has over 200,000 acres, most of which is contiguous. Like most (all?) of South Africa, it is high fenced and cross fenced, but the cross fenced areas are very large. The land has been in the family since a South African land rush several generations ago. We were frequently hunting from moment left the homestead, and I had a very good hunt.

A very legitimate question...

This is a very legitimate question Philip Glass, because there are indeed huge differences in how this all works. Here are a few examples:

Example #1: outfitter ABC state they hunt 60,000 acres. This is technically true, but in fact they own 0 acre and have 30 deals with small ranchers who own 2,000 acres each. In all likelihood, your 7 days hunt will be spend driving 3 to 6 hours on the highway everyday to and from one specific small property each day to hunt in a small enclosure one specific animal. This is probably not the hunt that most people would wish.

Example #2: outfitter DEF state that they hunt 30,000 acres. This is true, but they actually own 6 properties 5,000 acres each, that are not contiguous. This can be a very good hunt ... or not. Questions are warranted. 5,000 acres of dense bush is plenty to hunt on foot. Conversely, 5,000 acres of flat grassy low hills do not take much time to cover with a hunting vehicle.

Example #3: outfitter GHI specializes in Mountain Reedbuck and Vaal Rhebok and owns no property beside a lodge but state they hunt half a million acres. This can be true in the Karoo, Winterberg or Stormberg mountains, and it is likely to be free range hunting with 10 hours walking days on low fence properties covering an entire mountain. This is likely a great hunt, but with likely very low game population density. I personally love it, but many folks coming to Africa prefer to walk less and shoot more. To each their own.

Example #4: outfitter JKL owns 3,000 acres along XYZ National Park with which he shares a 2 miles unfenced border. Sure, game can walk back & forth between his property and the Park, and he technically hunts free ranging Park herds. This can be a fantastic hunt ... if outfitter JKL has on his property the only waterhole in a 15 miles radius on the Park side, but you better know exactly where the boundary line is and plan all your hunts according to it...

Etc. etc.

Size matters...

Based on limited personal experience in South Africa (Eastern Cape and Limpopo), my own personal judgment - for what it is worth! - is that:

- 2,000 acres is the strict minimum property size one should consider for hunting, and only if 1) it is dense bush; 2) the hunt will be on foot; and 3) the hunt is short. After 2 to 3 days walking 2,000 acres you will likely know every stone on the property, and the reality is that most likely a fair number of animals on the property will not have been born on the property.

- 5,000 acres work just fine in dense bush and on foot for 3 to 4 days, and a well managed property can sustain a couple small breeding herds of classic plains game.

- 20,000 acres is a very practical property size in both dense and more open areas such as the Eastern Cape hillsides. You can hunt for 5 to 7 days on 20,000 acres without constantly hunting the same ground, and most animals on well managed and not over-hunted properties will be born on the property if it is not overgrazed and if it has a number of waterholes / water points.

- 50,000+ acres will provide conditions that approach free range hunting with self sustaining herds, and there will be a need to cull excess animals in well managed properties.

Huntershill...

As far as Huntershill is concerned, Greg Harvey owns 4 properties in the Eastern Cape:
  • Huntershill, near Queenstown: we hunt 120,000 acres there. Greg directly owns 55,000 acres that are high fenced in order to retain ownership of the game. We hunt there 70 species, including some that are typically not native to the Eastern Cape. We also have a hunting agreement with the neighbor who owns 65,000+ acres that are only low fenced and on which we hunt free ranging game native to the Eastern Cape, primarily some outstanding Eastern Cape Kudu, Warthog, Duiker, Steenbok, etc.
  • Huntershaven, near Cookhouse: Greg owns and we hunt 20,000 acres there. Huntershaven is located about 2 1/2 hours southwest from Huntershill.
  • Comre Safaris, near Tarkastad: Greg owns and we hunt 22,000 acres there. Comre is located about 1 hour west from Huntershill.
  • Rocklands, near Fort Beaufort: Greg owns and we hunt 6,000 acres there. Rocklands is located 2 hours south from Huntershill in the dense bush near the Katrivier.
  • Additionally, we hunt free range Mountain Reedbuck and Vaal Rhebok near Graaff Reniet and Dordrecht on mountains that are likely in the hundreds of thousands acres each, or more... and we hunt free range Bushbuck along the Groot Visrivier in riparian areas and private farming areas that are several thousands acres each.
Because each property offers a different biotope and ecosystem, each property offers different hunting opportunities and different game, with some - but not full - overlap. For example, Huntershill has the best Kudu and hillsides game, but it is too high in altitude for Bushbuck. Conversely, Rocklands is lower and warmer, with dense bush, and is a great place for Warthog. Comre has fantastic Sable. Huntershaven is very wild. Riparian areas along the Groot Visrivier are Bushbuck paradise. Mountains around Graaff Reniet or Dordrecht are Vaal Rhebok heaven, etc.

The way we (and a few other outfitters who own or have access to large properties) do it, is that hunters can either spend their entire hunt based in one property, and never see a blacktop road in their entire time with us, or they can spend a few days based in several different places (each property has its own lodge) in order to experience different hunting areas and hunt different species.

Bottom line...

I guess that we could say that we hunt approximately 170,000 private acres, plus a couple hundred thousands high mountain acres, and it is technically true, but I prefer to say that we hunt 55,000 high fenced + 65,000 low fenced acres in Huntershill; 20,000 high fenced acres in Huntershaven; 22,000 high fenced acres in Comre; 6,000 high fenced acres in Rocklands; etc. because I believe that this is the reality of the hunting experience.

Indeed, there are no "million acres" concession in South Africa, and this is likely one of the reasons why a typical 10 day hunt in South Africa costs $10,000 as opposed to $40,000 in Tanzania, and it would be unrealistic to expect to shoehorn $40,000 expectations in a $10,000 package, but one can still have the experience of a lifetime hunting South Africa. NO, this will not be Out of Africa's 1910's wild Africa, but this can still be an incredible hunting experience, if honest representations lead to realistic expectations.

The question Philip Glass asks is a very legitimate question, and I would advise anyone going to hunt anywhere in South Africa to ask exactly this question, and a host of follow up questions as appropriate. The answers should not have to be pried out of the operators. If answers are not easily and candidly provided, I would consider it a red flag. It is critical for a successful hunting trip that reality matches expectations :)
Thanks for the response and all the valuable info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross