L.O.P & Positioning?

It dont look like the shoulder angle took the blow. You should reassess your shooting approach.
Seems alot of energy is assorted in your arm ?
I know, the anatomy is strange. They were certainly direct hits to the arm pit, addl. bruising on top, the posterior/tricep?!? etc,..

Definitely a Mule Gun! ;
mule gun.jpg

I would definitely do away with the kneeling shooting position! It would be very unlikely that you would use that position in Africa. Secondly I would raise your right elbow, this will create a "pocket" for your rifle to properly position itself. Additional length of pull will not help if your rifle is bearing against your upper arm. Most of my rifles are 141/2 to 14 3/4. As someone suggested a slip on recoil pad will normally add 1". If it helps nothing wrong with using it while actually hunting. If the added recoil pad helps check out "Kick Eez" and "Limbsaver", both are available in 1 1/2" pads. With a 1/4" spacer you can get unto 14 3/4" LOP.

I'll check, forgot! ... OK 14" L.O.P. I thought it was at least a 1/2" longer.

I'm not a professional by any means, but it's been a while since this firearm was last used. Excellent groups, but I took a severe beating!, naturally in this position.

500 J. 600grn @ 2100fps
540grn @ 23?/2400fps .. ouch
3 days, still not ready to resume "any" shooting.

However, Thank You for your response!
Put a large sized slip on Limbsaver over the factory pad. It’ll extend the lop and help tame that recoil. You’ll be amazed at the difference. Recoil is annoying but should never “hurt” the shooter.

I would definitely do away with the kneeling shooting position! It would be very unlikely that you would use that position in Africa. Secondly I would raise your right elbow, this will create a "pocket" for your rifle to properly position itself. Additional length of pull will not help if your rifle is bearing against your upper arm. Most of my rifles are 141/2 to 14 3/4. As someone suggested a slip on recoil pad will normally add 1". If it helps nothing wrong with using it while actually hunting. If the added recoil pad helps check out "Kick Eez" and "Limbsaver", both are available in 1 1/2" pads. With a 1/4" spacer you can get unto 14 3/4" LOP.
Thank You!

Normal lop of factory rifle i have are 13.25 to 13.75.
I know of nobody with these requirements?
I personally think 14" is a starting point. Unless the maker is shoddy and knows you will need more pad ? Most American rifles fit this. Lol

Agree.

Look at the magnum limbsavers or kick eze that are 1.5"... that will help quite a bit with your LOP..

and consider adding a pound to the rifle somehow/somewhere.. maybe a recoil reducer in the butt of the rifle if that wouldnt throw off your balance too badly.. or look at adding some weight in both the front and the back (Ive seen gunsmiths cut a channel in the front of the stock and drill a hole in the rear under the recoil pad, then add lead in both places to help maintain balance... then seal things up nicely (and unnoticeably) with glass bedding..

Your rifle is to short. You have a longer arms and a longer neck. I am 5'11" and have a similar problem with ALL factory bolt and single shots. (Doubles have been close) My LOP with a rifle is 15 1/4 i shoot shotguns with a 15 1/2 LOP best. You could be well served in getting a fitting by a good gunsmith/stockmaker/shotgun fitter. In addition to LOP the amount of drop is only one of the dimensions that are important, equally important for a perfect is the amount of drop and the comb and heel, the amount of cast, and if you prefer a bit toe out or in on your stock. As the caliber gets larger and recoil goes up the proper fitting rifle is MUCH more important. I am also guessing that on ocasion you punch yourself in the nose with the back of your right thumb? If you can find a proper fitter close you can add a slip on and spacers under it till you find a combo that is just right as far as LOP goes. you could also go to a well stocked higher end shop and just try several different makes and models of rifles till you find one that fits and then measure all the dimensions I mentioned above and then see if your stock comes close or have another stock made to the correct fit. no of this is cheap but will pay for itself in the first 50 rounds shot with a correctly fitting big bore.

I don't disagree with any of the above comments. I will add that maybe, just maybe, shooting a 500J isn't appropriate for you. All of us have our limits. A few hardy souls can tolerate what most of us would avoid like the plague. I like big bore rifles and I've had a few but I've also come to realize I don't really enjoy shooting them. I had to admit that 375H&H is my comfort limit. I've owned and shot bigger calibers enough to know I'll never shoot them as much is necessary to become proficient enough to hunt with one. Proper fit, good positioning, weight and adding recoil reducing accessories are all well and good but there's no getting around the physics of 500 caliber rifle recoil. Some of us can tolerate shooting them but most of us can't if we're really being honest. YMMV

I personally think 14" is a starting point. Unless the maker is shoddy and knows you will need more pad ? Most American rifles fit this. Lol
A lot of rifles sold in the US seem to have a short lop. As most of the use in this country occurs in the fall and winter, traditional hunting seasons, there is an assumption of heavy clothing being worn. This will add the other 1/2-1" needed for a correct lop. When I'm setting up a new rifle, even if it's summer and hot out, I put on my fall hunting jacket to set eye relief.

Wow I was measured at a 15 LOP. I stand 6:2 235 lbs and wear a 35 inch shirt sleeve

I don't disagree with any of the above comments. I will add that maybe, just maybe, shooting a 500J isn't appropriate for you. All of us have our limits. A few hardy souls can tolerate what most of us would avoid like the plague. I like big bore rifles and I've had a few but I've also come to realize I don't really enjoy shooting them. I had to admit that 375H&H is my comfort limit. I've owned and shot bigger calibers enough to know I'll never shoot them as much is necessary to become proficient enough to hunt with one. Proper fit, good positioning, weight and adding recoil reducing accessories are all well and good but there's no getting around the physics of 500 caliber rifle recoil. Some of us can tolerate shooting them but most of us can't if we're really being honest. YMMV
Agree. My 450-400 is perfect for my recoil tolerance. I can shoot it all day and no pain. My 470 4 shots and I was done

My gratitude to all the above who took the time too look at the photo & help provide the afore mentioned resolutions, this is the 3rd outing with the AHR. Purchased 2nd hand, figuring it was underweight? standing shots never caused a fraction of discomfort. I quickly learned that follow ups could become an issue however. Determined to become efficient with it, as it's accurate and one of the most refined rifles I've shot, it's undoubtedly too short.

With everyone's comments taken into consideration, Less some investing goes into this, it will most likely never see a hunt. I am astonished, with every shot however just what the 500 J is capable of! I would love to hear anyone's real experience's with this Cartridge!

Many Thanks AH!
Regards,

I think the 500j me but be the cause of the bruising.

I'm average height and fit average rifles with my biggest chambering being a ,375H&H.

I was shown a .505gibbs cartridge the other day. That's a fair bit bigger than mine.

I love my 500J, it isn't a rifle for everyone, But is has some amazing performance on game for those that can shoot it accurately. at some point we need to have a phone call and talk. You will be amazed at how much better recoil management is with the correctly fitting rifle.

What I use for backup. It is devastating and very effective on all DG including elephant even in the most desperate situations. With the right bullet at the right velocity in the right place they all go down with one shot, coming or going it makes no differance.
It is without a doubt the best DG backup rifle for anything including elephant.

I would prefer a 500 NE for DG photographic foot safaris but my 500 Jeff is the one I will never get rid of and is the first one I take out the safe when large DG is on the menu.

The 505 Gibbs comes close but has disadvantages whe compared to the 500 Jeff...

The 500 NE will have to be a Heym with stock made to fit.....

I remember getting bruises like that when I was a kid and just starting to dove hunt. I wasn’t getting the gun mounted correctly on my shoulder.

The but of the rifle should be in the crease of the shoulder about where your shirt is bunched up. Is the bruise in the picture where the butt is hitting you, or is the blood pooling downward?

I remember getting bruises like that when I was a kid and just starting to dove hunt. I wasn’t getting the gun mounted correctly on my shoulder.

The but of the rifle should be in the crease of the shoulder about where your shirt is bunched up. Is the bruise in the picture where the butt is hitting you, or is the blood pooling downward?
It's certainly nowhere near the point of impact, it did pool in the most erroneous places, posterior tricep, etc. There wasn't even that much discomfort, with respect, during the session. The last shot, I "Felt", that was enough.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross