L.O.P & Positioning?

Daniel Cary

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
If anyone's willing, does the L.O.P. look extremely short? ..
lop.jpg

Shot 9 rounds last night, been sore before, but this is barely unbearable!

Last edited:
I'll check, forgot! ... OK 14" L.O.P. I thought it was at least a 1/2" longer.

I'm not a professional by any means, but it's been a while since this firearm was last used. Excellent groups, but I took a severe beating!, naturally in this position.

500 J. 600grn @ 2100fps
540grn @ 23?/2400fps .. ouch
3 days, still not ready to resume "any" shooting.

However, Thank You for your response!

So, now go find your favorite rifle and measure it.

The appearance in the pic is it's an inch, give or take, short. Do you have long arms?

So, now go find your favorite rifle and measure it.

The appearance in the pic is it's an inch, give or take, short. Do you have long arms?
I do indeed for better or worse?. I received a Krieghoff 'c a 15" L.O.P. Though it hasn't been shot, it's the best fit I've shouldered in a rifle. Spent the most time with a 458, just measured at 14 1/2".
Again, not the most experienced but the AHR speaks for itself. It just helps to hear from someone given the photograph!

I had no idea it was 14"'s. That's almost too short by standard standards if I'm not mistaken?

I'll check, forgot! ... OK 14" L.O.P. I thought it was at least a 1/2" longer.

I'm not a professional by any means, but it's been a while since this firearm was last used. Excellent groups, but I took a severe beating!, naturally in this position.

500 J. 600grn @ 2100fps
540grn @ 23?/2400fps .. ouch
3 days, still not ready to resume "any" shooting.

However, Thank You for your response!
Kneeling supported is a tough position for handling recoil on something like a 500 J (or even a .375). I wouldn't fire one at all from that position (sitting would be even worse). I would suggest using such a rifle in that caliber is a great reason to become very familiar with shooting sticks.

Normally usually most of the time rifles are set up around 1/4 to 1/2 shorter than your fitted shotgun LOP. I am 6' tall and typically shoot 14 1/2 or 14 3/4 LOP on my shotguns depending upon action and drop at heel. My best fitting rifles are all 14 1/2.

What is the weight of the rifle?

Way to light for a 500 Jeff with a ill fitting stock fired out of a bad position, "wel laat dit vir jou n les wees".

Sort the weight out sort the stock out and use it in more practical field position and you may survive, continuing in the current state of affairs' it is going to eventually beat you into submission.....

Kneeling supported is a tough position for handling recoil on something like a 500 J (or even a .375). I wouldn't fire one at all from that position (sitting would be even worse). I would suggest using such a rifle in that caliber is a great reason to become very familiar with shooting sticks.

Normally usually most of the time rifles are set up around 1/4 to 1/2 shorter than your fitted shotgun LOP. I am 6' tall and typically shoot 14 1/2 or 14 3/4 LOP on my shotguns depending upon action and drop at heel. My best fitting rifles are all 14 1/2.
Very well, Thank you .. that will be the next investment.
I recall the first time this was out, standing at 30-50 yrds. filmed to see my muzzle all over the place. I believe a few kneeling shots, as above, sewed up the session.

I imagine your shoulder is hurting.
If anyone's willing, does the L.O.P. look extremely short? .. View attachment 400978
okay I am fresh off learning with my new DR in 470 NE. There are three key things you absolutely must do if you want to enjoy your gun: First I was not measured for it and found it was too short like yours. Second, it was too light less than 10 pounds for this caliber...big mistake, third I was not squaring up on the sticks...I had my right foot too far back...see one days excellent post on this
On my new DR I corrected all three of my mistakes above (thanks forum for my friends excellent advice) and now thoroughly enjoy shooting my gun as many times as 20 each time with no pain whatsoever

Way to light for a 500 Jeff with a ill fitting stock fired out of a bad position, "wel laat dit vir jou n les wees".

Sort the weight out sort the stock out and use it in more practical field position and you may survive, continuing in the current state of affairs' it is going to eventually beat you into submission.....
"wel laat dit vir jou n les wees". Indeed! It looks like lividity pooling in dependent areas!

I would try a hydraulic recoil pad. It would add lop and might offset the pain from being so light!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 12.48.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 12.48.21 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 12.48.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 12.48.25 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
It dont look like the shoulder angle took the blow. You should reassess your shooting approach.
Seems alot of energy is assorted in your arm ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!