L.O.P & Positioning?

The 500 NE will have to be a Heym with stock made to fit.....
Loved to hear your take on the 500 Jeffery, though I'm not dispatching DG, I'm still shocked every time its taken out. .. opposed to a double, would you considers Heym's Martini Express.
now.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't heard many talk about Heym's Express Rifles. However, I'd prefer a well fit decently appointed bolt in 500J over another double.

It's certainly nowhere near the point of impact, it did pool in the most erroneous places, posterior tricep, etc. There wasn't even that much discomfort, with respect, during the session. The last shot, I "Felt", that was enough.
That is wild!!!

Hi Daniel, How many times have you had the bruising ? Sometimes it is just a random blood vessel that gets a little knock. i had it once and then have been fine before an after. Mine didn't hurt much. So yes of course correct technique is important but sometimes it just happens and it looks like you took a beating from someone with a big stick.

Hi Daniel, How many times have you had the bruising ? Sometimes it is just a random blood vessel that gets a little knock. i had it once and then have been fine before an after. Mine didn't hurt much. So yes of course correct technique is important but sometimes it just happens and it looks like you took a beating from someone with a big stick.
Thanks for reaching out foremost. This was a 1st, the anatomy is certainly uncertain & strange.
The feedback here from everyone here was pivotal. Determined the gun is short, raise right arm, etc .. I knew the position I was in would soak the recoil direct, however, it was mentioned this would rarely be used in an actual Hunt.

Filming the shots help, I've seen so much muzzle wobble while standing from time, I was determined to hit each target given the cost ; Testing the limits & distance without optics I suppose.
On a good note, I believe most were direct hits! Both ends ;

Look up Rob Haught's "push-pull" technique for shotguns. I decided to try it out of curiosity on a 4 something big bore rifle that another person had brought to the range while we were there. Apparently, he had inherited it and some ammunition. After one round he was done. I asked if I could shoot it and he said if I wanted to, just please don't drop it. The technique worked fine and I was able to hit the steel gong at 100 yards with no discomfort and surprising accuracy. This rifle had no scope either.
I told my friend to try it on my 9.3 CZ550 FS because he doesn't like recoil at all. He had shot my CZ before and didn't care for it. After trying the technique he looked back at me and smiled. He continued to shoot the rest of the magazine and hit the gong as well. I know it doesn't seem like it would apply to rifles but since these aren't precision long range guns, it worked for us. My aiming wasn't affected enough to not try it again. I'm sure with enough practice one could get pretty good at it.

Too short. Get to a good gunsmith

Thumb position that close to your nose tells the tale. That stock is to short for your build. Nothing hurts as much as an ill fitting firearm.

Thumb position that close to your nose tells the tale. That stock is to short for your build. Nothing hurts as much as an ill fitting firearm.
The rule of 'thumb' is 1 -2 inches between your nose and right thumb- I have seen mention of 2 fingers between your nose and thumb. I know that stock fit is a bit more complex but at least those rules of thumb put you in the right ball park-like the length of stock fitting inside your elbow. Then a stock fitter/maker can tweak the custom fit.

I did a fair amount of research for my rifle, and then trimmed 10 mm off the stock. I also have tried to change my technique. I mounted the rifle high in the shoulder pocket and realised half the stock was above my shoulder. (I think this is a result of shooting a lot of airguns and low recoil rifles. You see it with AR shooters quite a bit. So I consciously try to mount the but lower on my shoulder.

Myself and @Doug3006 were at the range practicing for our upcoming trip to RSA in June. We had a friend join us who wanted to sight in a red dot he had recently mounted on his turkey gun. He was trying to pattern his shotgun shooting 3.5 12 gauge turkey loads. We had heard about twenty shots over the coarse of 30 minutes and thought he was having problems. I went up to help him and had it shooting well in a few shots. Our friend had complained of a sore arm and of coarse as men do we made fun of him. We had our weekly “duck club” Wednesday meeting and got to see Chris and his arm, I would say he was shouldering the gun improperly. A very righteous bruise.

4FFAD11D-AF6E-466B-8227-B3848CDB8BAE.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Myself and @Doug3006 were at the range practicing for our upcoming trip to RSA in June. We had a friend join us who wanted to sight in a red dot he had recently mounted on his turkey gun. He was trying to pattern his shotgun shooting 3.5 12 gauge turkey loads. We had heard about twenty shots over the coarse of 30 minutes and thought he was having problems. I went up to help him and had it shooting well in a few shots. Our friend had complained of a sore arm and of coarse as men do we made fun of him. We had our weekly “duck club” Wednesday meeting and got to see Chris and his arm, I would say he was shouldering the gun improperly. A very righteous bruise.
Yep that’s what happens when you don’t mount it properly. Myself I have no use for 3.5” loads.

Way to light for a 500 Jeff with a ill fitting stock fired out of a bad position, "wel laat dit vir jou n les wees".

Sort the weight out sort the stock out and use it in more practical field position and you may survive, continuing in the current state of affairs' it is going to eventually beat you into submission.....
IvW is spot on!!!

I would definitely do away with the kneeling shooting position! It would be very unlikely that you would use that position in Africa. Secondly I would raise your right elbow, this will create a "pocket" for your rifle to properly position itself. Additional length of pull will not help if your rifle is bearing against your upper arm. Most of my rifles are 141/2 to 14 3/4. As someone suggested a slip on recoil pad will normally add 1". If it helps nothing wrong with using it while actually hunting. If the added recoil pad helps check out "Kick Eez" and "Limbsaver", both are available in 1 1/2" pads. With a 1/4" spacer you can get unto 14 3/4" LOP.
Here is what I did for my 500 NE DR…I took my limb saver and cut off the rubber that holds it to the gun…I bought a very nice leather recoil extra pad and placed the limb saver inside the leather holder. Now I have added cushion in a classy looking leather extension versus an ugly looking rubber limb saver that will mess up your beautiful oil rubbed finish on a classic rifle

From his pictures that is severe bruising from a poorly fitting gun. It hurts me to see it…reminds me of my first DR Rizzini 470 NE that weighed only 9.3 pounds and was too short for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois