Knives - Why?

For me it is mainly habit. I used mine quite a bit in Namibia, assisting with skinning etc. It came in handy one late evening trying to get an eland dressed and skinned in time to get back to the lodge and get ready to leave early the next day. However in SA although I took one, I stayed out of the way...

Probably not, but if you like to carry one or you like Tom be involved in processing then do so.
If it’s something you like Tom carry when you hunt, part of he kit part or your experience whatever

At any time I usually have at least knifes with me. I pack a 3" pocket knife and have a Leatherman multi tool on my belt that has 2 blades.

The only time that I don't have some kind of knife with me is when I am flying .

You just never know when one might come in handy

I carried a Leatherman. It came in handy for pulling these little jumping cactus pods out of my leg from time to time.
IMG_20170729_150028658.jpeg

Agree, if I had my choice I’d carry a Leatherman. Only knife I actually used on a ten day hunt in Mozambique.

Also the only knife the PH carried was a Learherman.

Not really needed.
That is what they are paid to do and they have knives.
Also a real good knife might disappear in travel.
I did take a couple new ones(not expensive) non-folding knives for my tracker and such. That did not replace the tip --just extra like the candy and clothes/hats.
A multi-tool is not a bad idea to have and also leave as a gift

Peter Hathaway Capstick mentioned the most useful knife was a Swiss Army knife. I prefer a Leatherman Wave and what ever pocket knife I currently haven't lost. Same idea. I have taken my own hunting knife and helped with skinning but it certainly wasn't needed. Most skinners use various basic pocket knives and such and do an amazing job with them.

My tracker/skinner told me to just stay out of the way and watch. He didn't even want the PH in his way. I had a knife but never used it. I did have my Leatherman in case I needed a tool fora minor repair.

I used my EDC knife for cutting biltong. I also carry a leatherman wave, and took a skinning and butchering knives that I never used. They never even left my backpack.

Simple question - for a guest on safari, is there any reason to bring anything more than pocket knife on a hunting trip to Africa?

I assume your guest is a not hunting. If so my answer is no.

Simple question - for a guest on safari, is there any reason to bring anything more than pocket knife on a hunting trip to Africa?

Nope.

I carry a small Swiss Army knife. The one called the Waiter is my favorite I think. Small blade and a corkscrew, tweezers and a toothpick.

Yep, that’s been a VERY handy knife in the field!

Anything more is for the Trackers & Skinners.

If I'm wearing pants I'm carrying a knife and Monday thru Saturday I also carry multi-tool. On my two safaris in SA I added a 4" fixed blade to my daily carry and I used all of them frequently on both safaris. I also highly recommend you carry a saw, if your pocket knife or multi-tool has one great your covered if not buy one that does. Another great feature to have on a multi-tool is a pair of scissors, of all the features on my Victorinox Swiss tool I use the scissors the most. Never count on your PH to carry anything except Binos, shooting sticks and cigarettes if you think you may need it carry it, a first aid kit in the truck is useless if you have to walk three miles to get to it.

IMG_20200320_133701.jpg

I have NEVER left home , with out a pocket knife ... Ever since I was 10 years old . I currently EDC ( Every Day Carry ) a vintage Buck Model 110 lock back folding knife , which utilizes a 440 C blade . Back when I was a child , it was even standard practice for boys to carry a pen knife or a pocket knife to school . Only those Italian style bayonet grind pick lock stiletto switchblades ... Were prohibited , because they were labelled as " Stabbing knives " .

On both of my safaris to South Africa I carried a Victorinox Swiss-tool. In my backpack was a Mora. However if you are in a tent camp out in the "boonies" where you will be expected to pitch in on camp chores a good sheath knife is an absolute must. Several years ago Von Gruff began making the "Safari Knife" for such occasions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.