Kimber caprivi 458 Lott

Travis2282

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Well I had always wanted a .375 and told myself that's as big as I need, now that I have had my Winchester for a while my little devil on my shoulder keeps telling me get something bigger! So the next logical caliber I could think of to get would be the 458 Lott! At least now hopefully I would be satisfied! Do I need it?? NO but why would I let that stop me! Haha so question is what make? I know plenty of people will cuss me but I'm not a big CZ fan! I know a lot of people are on here so that was kinda out for me. I do like the ruger and also I held the Kimber caprivi at the DSC show this year and really liked the feel of it! Does anyone have any experience with a caprivi? Also it weighs 8.8 lbs. is this too light? Thanks

So I went through this same thing and ended up with a used Brockman that is based on a Montana action. Frankly, the reason I bought that one was it was left hand and I got a really good deal. I like it a lot though and am very happy, but I digress.

Mine weighs about the same as that and the recoil is stout, but manageable. I would say that it depends on how you are really going to use it. I enjoy shooting it, but don't feel the need to shoot 50 rounds a day as an example. I decided I would rather have the lighter weight and hope I would get to use it on an elephant or buff hunt some day. Hope this helps on the weight question.

Thanks royal for the info! I would probably prefer around the 10lbs mark myself for recoil purpose but I see your point on carrying it around all day!

Thanks royal for the info! I would probably prefer around the 10lbs mark myself for recoil purpose but I see your point on carrying it around all day!

Gladly!

And for recoil management I completely agree On the weight. It is just a trade off. my .375 is a CZ and weighs more than my Lott!!! LOL

I also lugged the CZ around chasing my buffalo (no sling) and it really wasn't too bad, although my shoulder was sore on day two. After that I was good to go.

Hi Travis2282,

The Kimber Caprivi is generally a well made rifle but a little light IMO for the .458 Lott cartridge.

The now discontinued Ruger RSM is to my way of thinking, a better buy, if you can find one for sale these days.

My .458 Lott (Gunsmith built on a CZ 550 Magnum action) weighs 11 pounds empty.

Admittedly I also load it down about 150 fps slower than the factory ammunition, if not perhaps a bit slower (I don't own a chronograph).

May be I tend to shoot my rifles in preparation for a hunt a bit more than the average hunter (?)

But, if I was a person who carried it way more than I shot it, the Caprivi would be very appealing to me, mile after mile, week after week, every hunting season.

My .458 Winchester weighs 9.9 pounds empty and with factory ammunition, it kicks real hard by my way of thinking.

After only a few shots, I always admit defeat, (usually before I start flinching) and put it away for a week or two.

I am blessed to live so close to a rifle range, that I can faintly hear it from my place when I'm out in the yard so, I tend to pop over there and shoot quite often.

However, Matt85 fired my 9.9 pound .458 and said it was "pleasant to shoot" so I guess if you are not recoil shy (he definitely is not), the Caprivi might just be perfect for you.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Haha. Did you put a scope on your Lott? I have a leupold vf6 1-6 I would like to put on one if/when I buy one.

Thanks velo! Your right the ruger rsm is a very nice gun, but hard to find around! It seems they are bought as soon as they come up! Do you ever shoot win mag out of your Lott? Any problems if so?

However, Matt85 fired my 9.9 pound .458 and said it was "pleasant to shoot" so I guess if you are not recoil shy (he definitely is not), the Caprivi might just be perfect for you.

Matt is the wrong person to ask if a rifle kicks hard or not!!!! :E Crazy:

Haha. Did you put a scope on your Lott? I have a leupold vf6 1-6 I would like to put on one if/when I buy one.

Not sure if this is directed at me or Velo, but I have not yet scoped my Lott but likely will. I have a Leupold 1.25 x 4 vxr in the safe.

Thanks velo! Your right the ruger rsm is a very nice gun, but hard to find around! It seems they are bought as soon as they come up! Do you ever shoot win mag out of your Lott? Any problems if so?

You are welcome any time and I agree, the RSM is not too easy to find any more - unfortunately.
Nope, I have not fired the shorter cartridges through my Lott but I understand that is a decent option if Lott ammunition is unavailable, much like shooting .38 Special ammunition through a .357 magnum revolver.
One of these days I should give it a try, if for no other reason than simply to satisfy my curiosity.

Matt is the wrong person to ask if a rifle kicks hard or not!!!! :E Crazy:

Not sure if this is directed at me or Velo, but I have not yet scoped my Lott but likely will. I have a Leupold 1.25 x 4 vxr in the safe.

I wonder if the nerves in his shoulder are permanently crushed and therefore permanently dead.

For my preference, at the moment I am not planning to scope any of my rifles above .375 H&H caliber.

If I ever changed my mind on this, it would be to scope the .416 but again, right now I am not doing so.

Last edited:
I've got a, um, few RSM guns... haven't gone out and shot them all yet. But I sure do like them... All 6 of them:E Blush: I "may" have think about selling one or two :rolleyes: As the second safe is getting full.

Any Kimber I have picked up, I have liked. For elephant, definitely take a lighter gun as long as you can get off a couple accurate shots. Buffalo that I have hunted (only 2) did not require the walking that elephant do. Intense but not as strenuous.

Only 6 bob? Sounds like you need to step it up a bit! Haha

Only 6 bob? Sounds like you need to step it up a bit! Haha
Wellllll, I do have one of the baby brother versions, the Express model, coming in a 270... And desperately need one in 300 win mag as well;)

I like kimber, IMHO I wou rather go for one of the 416's over the 458 , but that's just my personal preference.

Honestly the CZ is damn fine rifle, especially for that caliber. Yes I love the Ruger RSM!

The CZ is a beast killing beast of a gun with 5 - 458 Lott cartridges in her box! I do think the Lott versions mostly feed well. Not so sure about the 416 Rigby in a CZ (it works great in the RSM), but I had to have work done to get my CZ in 505 Gibbs to feed. Now I am almost happy with it, it could use a tad bit of tweaking yet as it is a squeeze to close the bolt on an empty chamber with 3 down.

The Kimber's are pretty sweet, no getting around that.

You all know I love the RSM's... And the 416 Rigby's are my favorites in those! Of the factory ones at least. I do have a special affliction for the custom RSM in 505 Gibbs, however I've not hunted with that one, yet. (it started life as a 416 Rigby)... It just may beg me to take it elephant hunting in a few years?

Of course if your open to the 416's, you could consider a M70 in 416 Rem Mag... That will take 4 down + 1 up the pipe. And it is a sweet shooter! I would (well I have;) buy the M70 in a 416 version before going to a 458 win mag.

@Travis2282 where are you located? It would be great if you could at least fondle some of these and at best shoot them before you decide....... But if you want the Kimber and can afford it, go for it!

Hey bob, I am in South Carolina. Not many big guns to play with down here. Yea if I went with a 416 I would definitely get a mod 70 as I am a big fan already since I purchased my 375 hh. But I fear I will still want bigger if I get a 416. At least with the Lott what's next the 505 haha I'm not going there! I don't think.... Or maybe.... Hmmm.... Damn guns! Haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg