Kimber caprivi 458 Lott

Travis2282

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Zephyr, sounds like a good set up! I have ask a little about doing this to a win 70 and heard it was not good to rechamber to 458 Lott. Any issues?

zephyr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
No issues.. Your Gun Smith will spin off the barrel and simple re-cut the chamber re-move the small spacer in the Magazine box and cut back the ejector. It will hold 3+1. I just saw a new mod 70 in a gun store that some had turned a 458 win to a 458 Lott and they had installed an after market bottom metal with a drop floor plate for 4+1. Was unable to find the maker but will be checking again if the rifle is still there...

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
My understanding is that the feed port and follower on the 458 Win Mag M70 are shorter, too, and will therefore need to be addressed, but perhaps I am wrong.

zephyr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
The feed ramp and follower weren't touched on my gun

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
By feed port I meant the opening in the action for top loading. But, it appears as though this aspect wasn't touched, either.

JacquesVR

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Own and use a Kimber Caprivi in 458Lott - Love it!! Fitted a Leupold VXR 1.25 - 4 x 20 with Leupold QD's , tested them a number of times and are repeateable. Is it light for the calibre (weight wise) possibly but trade-off of carry vs shooting comes into play plus the stock design is good so recoil is no issue (At least to me). I stretch the distance a bit by using 450grn TSX for general hunting and it is accurate to the point of being ridiculous for a large calibre and whatever you hit certainly stays hit........did I mention I love this rifle ;):):)

Custom

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zimbabwe
I have the Caprivi in 375 and I believe it is an outstanding rifle. It is going with me to RSA on July 18 for buffalo. I also have a Whitworth in 458 Win. It is not going with me on this safari. I had other issues with it ( ejecting spent cartridges), but it is a light rifle at about 8 1/2 lbs scoped and loaded. Even with a mercury reducer in the stock, recoil to me was brutal, and I don't feel like I am very recoil sensitive. I can shoot my 300 Weatherby all day with no ill effect, but 3 rounds out of the 458 and I have a recoil headache. So, to me, heavier is better in the big rounds. However, your mileage may vary. That said, I keep looking at the Caprivi in something bigger, too (and I damn sure don't need it). It is sexy as hell and just drips Africa!

bpcr

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I have a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in .458 Win Mag. I always had trouble with it feeding from the left side of the magazine. The shell would go crossways and the lead would catch at the back of the chamber jamming the rifle. I sent it to AHR and he did a rail job but that didn't help. I was informed that there was a factory fix so I sent it to Triple River. It came back doing the same thing and the bolt seemed to bind a little on pullback. In a fit of desperation I bought a new Winchester M70 .458 made in Portugal. It feeds flawlessly but was no where near as accurate as the CZ. So, in another fit of desperation I sent my CZ back to Triple River and had it bored to .458 Lott thinking that maybe the longer cartridge would feed better. Not so. Cartridges coming from the left still went crossways.
Today I just put a down payment on a new Kimber Caprivi in .458 Lott. If it's as good as their 1911's I feel it should be fine. Least ways I hope so. So if anyone has a Kimber Caprivi in .458 Lott any comments as to accuracy and functioning would be greatly appreciated.

Bullthrower338

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
I have a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in .458 Win Mag. I always had trouble with it feeding from the left side of the magazine. The shell would go crossways and the lead would catch at the back of the chamber jamming the rifle. I sent it to AHR and he did a rail job but that didn't help. I was informed that there was a factory fix so I sent it to Triple River. It came back doing the same thing and the bolt seemed to bind a little on pullback. In a fit of desperation I bought a new Winchester M70 .458 made in Portugal. It feeds flawlessly but was no where near as accurate as the CZ. So, in another fit of desperation I sent my CZ back to Triple River and had it bored to .458 Lott thinking that maybe the longer cartridge would feed better. Not so. Cartridges coming from the left still went crossways.
Today I just put a down payment on a new Kimber Caprivi in .458 Lott. If it's as good as their 1911's I feel it should be fine. Least ways I hope so. So if anyone has a Kimber Caprivi in .458 Lott any comments as to accuracy and functioning would be greatly appreciated.
I have one and love it. Had a small issue with the barrel band and some mishandling of the rifle when it was sent in for repair. A couple emails and a phone call and it was handled by upper management promptly. They scored high marks with me by the way I was taken care of by them.
Very accurate rifle and very nice to shoot. 100% easier to shoot than my M70 458 WM which is punishing to me. You will be happy with your Caprivi I’m sure!
Cheers,
Cody

SWARA

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I like the Kimber but like the RSM better.
I see This RSM is currently for sale on Guns International . New in Box....

Ruger, RSM Mark two, Magnum 458 Lott
Guns International #: 100702833

Seller:
Hawk-eye

State:
Wyoming
Zip:
United States
Phone:
(316) 841-8000
Description:
This is a Ruger Mark two Magnum, 458 Lott. New in the Box, These guns were in manufacture for only about 10 years, ending production in 2003. They were top of the line for Ruger, beautifully finished with bright bluing and fine Circassian walnut stocks. The barrel is Ruger's #4 contour heavy barrel 23 and a half inches in length, and the gun weights 8 and a half pound
I am the original owner and the gun is still new in the box. This is a great find guys.
Price: $2,150.00

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Well.....I just made a deal on this very same rifle. Unfired in the box for $2400.00. (shipping included). I think I did alright, but once I receive the rifle and look it over, I'll know for sure. The pictures look great!
I've owned several 458 WM over the years, so I think the Lott will be on par with what I've experienced with these type of rifles in the past. I've been told the 458 WM dies will work with the Lott, so all I should need is some brass cases, and I should be set.

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I like the Kimber but like the RSM better.
I see This RSM is currently for sale on Guns International . New in Box....

Ruger, RSM Mark two, Magnum 458 Lott
Guns International #: 100702833

Seller:
Hawk-eye

State:
Wyoming
Zip:
United States
Phone:
(316) 841-8000
Description:
This is a Ruger Mark two Magnum, 458 Lott. New in the Box, These guns were in manufacture for only about 10 years, ending production in 2003. They were top of the line for Ruger, beautifully finished with bright bluing and fine Circassian walnut stocks. The barrel is Ruger's #4 contour heavy barrel 23 and a half inches in length, and the gun weights 8 and a half pound
I am the original owner and the gun is still new in the box. This is a great find guys.
Price: $2,150.00

Got a RSM in 458 Lott. Gorgeous wood, clumsy rifle. Nevertheless, I love it (the most (and best) I can afford).

SWARA

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Were you looking to the deal on a RSM or Kimber?

If your going for the RSM you could always re -chamber it to the Rigby. :)......

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 9.39.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 9.39.13 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 189

dchamp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Australia, Namibia, Canada, Argentina
Well the deal hasn't gone through yet. I'm having second thoughts that I should get the Sako 450 Rigby instead, but I haven't made up my mind yet!

You wont be wrong with either one but you will surely have buyers remorse regardless of which you choose thinking you should have bought the other. The only logical solution is to buy both and purchase ammo so you can properly decide. You can always sell one or the other afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cashus-disappearus

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

eballo wrote on doubleboy's profile.
Is the Parker still for sale?
hunt 65 wrote on Bullthrower338's profile.
You ever sell the Hyme 458 Lott?
Bob Nelson 35Whelen wrote on jwp475's profile.
@jwp475
If you need help with your Whelen loads please PM me
Bob
xausa wrote on Challer's profile.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd be happy to let you try out my Krieghoff. I'm located in West Tennessee and the local gun club has a skeet layout and is located not far from my farm. We're about five miles from the Kentucky state line and about 100 miles west of Nashville.
I just joined today, I live in Louisiana. I joined mostly because of all of the 35 Whelen discussion as I am now very interested In the 35 Whelen. I have an 1885 Highwall that J.E.S.S. rebored to 35 Whelen

Also own 338s 375 and both a 416 rem and Rigby