Journey to becoming an American PH in Africa

Good on you. and following along to hear about your quest.

chris

2 years later and I am finally getting back to posting on AH.

The past 2 years have been a whirlwind of hunting and trying to make a living as a guide. Which is easier said than done. I am currently still working for Nathan Askew and Bullet Safaris. After 3 seasons with him I am now able to sit the professional hunting exam in Tanzania, and will become one of only a handful of Americans to hold a professional hunting license in Tanzania! (Not bad for a 24-year-old farm boy) The past 3 years as an apprentice have been nothing short of amazing. The work involved in getting this far is something I never could have imagined.

My first 2 years were in a bait truck and working in the hunting camp. Learning to speak Kiswahili, working with guys who didn’t speak any English and having to figure it out as I went was the biggest challenge of all. I learned very quickly that the hunting side of the whole operation is the easiest part. Learning how to run a camp and the logistics involved makes a guy grow up pretty quick! Not to mention all the things than can and will go wrong that are completely out of our control. Broken trucks, animals in camp, people getting sick or injured, it’s a never ending shifting and changing puzzle that you can only hope to partially control.

And that’s all before I was able to get out in the bush to do anything that contributed to the hunt!

Long days and shorts nights have been the name of game the past couple years, but have slowly started to pay off as the opportunities I have been given are starting to pay off.

More stories and pictures to come!

---Sam

It is great to see another person my age getting to pursue their dream of becoming a PH in Africa. To be honest I am quite jealous of you.

My first safari was when I was 14. That safari to the northwest province of South Africa, it changed my life. During that time I grew to love Africa and become consumed by it. I was given the opportunity to go back as an intern for a summer between my junior and senior year of high school. It was the greatest experience of my life.

All I do is think about Africa, every minute of everyday. I read about Africa, I watch other people’s safaris. I collect everything I can that is from Africa. All I want to do in my life is become a PH.

Do you have any advice for another young man who wants to pursue becoming a PH?

I am very happy to hear that you are getting to live the dream. Happy trails my friend and I wish you the best.

I am so happy for you Sam! Keep the posts coming as you can! Nothing but the best to you!

Best of luck and thanks for sharing this inspiring story!

2 years later and I am finally getting back to posting on AH.

The past 2 years have been a whirlwind of hunting and trying to make a living as a guide. Which is easier said than done. I am currently still working for Nathan Askew and Bullet Safaris. After 3 seasons with him I am now able to sit the professional hunting exam in Tanzania, and will become one of only a handful of Americans to hold a professional hunting license in Tanzania! (Not bad for a 24-year-old farm boy) The past 3 years as an apprentice have been nothing short of amazing. The work involved in getting this far is something I never could have imagined.

My first 2 years were in a bait truck and working in the hunting camp. Learning to speak Kiswahili, working with guys who didn’t speak any English and having to figure it out as I went was the biggest challenge of all. I learned very quickly that the hunting side of the whole operation is the easiest part. Learning how to run a camp and the logistics involved makes a guy grow up pretty quick! Not to mention all the things than can and will go wrong that are completely out of our control. Broken trucks, animals in camp, people getting sick or injured, it’s a never ending shifting and changing puzzle that you can only hope to partially control.

And that’s all before I was able to get out in the bush to do anything that contributed to the hunt!

Long days and shorts nights have been the name of game the past couple years, but have slowly started to pay off as the opportunities I have been given are starting to pay off.

More stories and pictures to come!

---Sam
Very interested in this story! This is something I would love to do

Good for you Sam! When I was a teenager I talked with a western outfitter about doing what he did for a living. Long story short, he said a young guy like me needed to find some other occupation to make a decent living. I wasn’t going to have that, I worked mostly free for years for outfitters to learn all I could. All the long hours, no pay and hard worked paid off. I’m fortunate to own my own outfit and hunt for a living. You will probably never get rich, but if you enjoy what you do you never work a day in your life!!!!

Thank you for following up, what a great story you are just beginning to write. @Bullet Safaris is a top notch outfit, I think it is great they made this a possibility for this young man.

So glad you chased your dream. Cannot wait to hear more about the journey. Good luck.

Congratulations!!! That’s big accomplishment and I’m happy for you!!!!

Congratulations that is a great accomplishment! I look forward to you posting hunting stories from a PH's point of view.

It is great to see another person my age getting to pursue their dream of becoming a PH in Africa. To be honest I am quite jealous of you.

My first safari was when I was 14. That safari to the northwest province of South Africa, it changed my life. During that time I grew to love Africa and become consumed by it. I was given the opportunity to go back as an intern for a summer between my junior and senior year of high school. It was the greatest experience of my life.

All I do is think about Africa, every minute of everyday. I read about Africa, I watch other people’s safaris. I collect everything I can that is from Africa. All I want to do in my life is become a PH.

Do you have any advice for another young man who wants to pursue becoming a PH?

I am very happy to hear that you are getting to live the dream. Happy trails my friend and I wish you the best.
Hey Tanner, thanks for the kind words man, I appreciate it more than you know!

Africa had always consumed me from a young age. And I actually won my first safari through and SCI event when I was 16, and that was all the spark I needed to make a go at this.

I talked to anyone and everyone that would listen and told them all that I was going to be the next great American PH. And of course everyone laughed at me. But, I had one guy who believed me and put me in touch with the Southern African Wildlife College in South Africa. They have a 3 month dangerous game guiding program that I was able to attend. They also currently have an actual Professional Hunting Program that may be something that interests you. The only problem is you cant be a PH in South Africa, unless you move there and become a citizen.

BUT, the guiding program got me just a toe in the door, and I emailed and reached out to a lot of guys. Heard back from very few. But one of the guys I heard back from was Nathan. He told me 4 things.
1. You will not make a lot of money
2. It will be very difficult to have a family
3. There is a very real chance you will be seriously hurt, or killed
4. You will have stories that most people can only dream about

and he made me call my mother and ask for her permission to do this.

It ultimately boils down to how bad do you really want it. You've GOT to be a hard headed. There will be 99 people that will tell you its not possible. But if you can convince one person you have what it takes it will change your life. Then work your ass off.

I was sending out messages and emails almost daily to anyone and everyone I could find.

Having a good personality and being able to talk is a huge part of this game. The hunting part is relatively easy compared to the social interaction involved. If you can sell yourself and know how to talk there is no ceiling to high.

I hope this helps at least a little bit man. Feel free to reach out anytime!

--Sam

LEOPARD HUNTING

Leopard hunting has become quite an addictive hobby. Actually, not a hobby. It’s what I live and breathe for these days. It’s a constant chess match with these smart, cunning, elusive cats. Even when not actively hunting for leopards I am constantly studying and learning as much as I can about Mr. Spots. With well over 50 Leopards that I have recorded on trail camera the past 3 years. Learning each and every cat at a bait is a necessity when it comes to being a good cat hunter. From the females, her cubs, and then the males. We have multiple years of photos of the same cats on bait and watching the young males grow into big mature Toms is a very neat experience, especially when we are able to finally harvest him. Take for instance one of the cats shot this year in 2021. In 2020 he was a big mature cat that we gladly would of killed if given the opportunity. This year we had him on bait again and could instantly tell from his body condition he had lost a ton of weight. But, that’s another story I’ll share further down the road.

The first time I was introduced to leopard hunting I was riding in a truck with 4 local Tanzanians that were all easily twice my age and had been doing this for many years. Of course none of them spoke very much English and my Kiswahili was subpar at best. So we all piled into a land cruiser with a truck full of meat and a couple gut buckets driving out into the bush, and I had no idea what to think. These areas we hunt in Tanzania are huge, roughly 1400 sq kilometers each, and we can drive all day without reaching the end of the concession. There is an endless amount of baits to be hung. So I was really just along for the ride. The first time we got to a bait tree I stood around like a lost puppy while all the guys went to work prepping and preparing the baits. I ended up getting put in charge of doing the gut drags and boy was that one of the nastiest things I have ever had to do. I swear that smell seeps into your skin and even after 3 showers still doesn’t go away! But to this day I still love the thrill and excitement of baiting. Never a dull moment when rolling up to a bait tree and seeing that something has been feeding and trying to decipher all the sign around the tree and checking the trail cameras.

And from what I’ve seen and learned, each and every cat is different. One cat may prefer to feed at last light on an impala, I’ve seen one who is crazy for zebra and would prefer to feed mornings, you just never know what you’re going to get when it comes to these amazing animals.

Every hunt I’ve been a part of in Africa has been an incredible and special experience, but there is just something about those frisky felines that I can’t get enough of!

Ive attached a few of my favorite trail camera pictures from this past season

--Sam
IMAG0195.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG
STC_0292.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tanner, thanks for the kind words man, I appreciate it more than you know!

Africa had always consumed me from a young age. And I actually won my first safari through and SCI event when I was 16, and that was all the spark I needed to make a go at this.

I talked to anyone and everyone that would listen and told them all that I was going to be the next great American PH. And of course everyone laughed at me. But, I had one guy who believed me and put me in touch with the Southern African Wildlife College in South Africa. They have a 3 month dangerous game guiding program that I was able to attend. They also currently have an actual Professional Hunting Program that may be something that interests you. The only problem is you cant be a PH in South Africa, unless you move there and become a citizen.

BUT, the guiding program got me just a toe in the door, and I emailed and reached out to a lot of guys. Heard back from very few. But one of the guys I heard back from was Nathan. He told me 4 things.
1. You will not make a lot of money
2. It will be very difficult to have a family
3. There is a very real chance you will be seriously hurt, or killed
4. You will have stories that most people can only dream about

and he made me call my mother and ask for her permission to do this.

It ultimately boils down to how bad do you really want it. You've GOT to be a hard headed. There will be 99 people that will tell you its not possible. But if you can convince one person you have what it takes it will change your life. Then work your ass off.

I was sending out messages and emails almost daily to anyone and everyone I could find.

Having a good personality and being able to talk is a huge part of this game. The hunting part is relatively easy compared to the social interaction involved. If you can sell yourself and know how to talk there is no ceiling to high.

I hope this helps at least a little bit man. Feel free to reach out anytime!

--Sam
Thanks for the advice, Sam. I really appreciate it.

I know that a PH's life is hard and you won't become a millionaire doing it.

Like you said one of the big things is networking and just trying to get your name out there to different outfitters. I make it a priority for me to go to all the hunting expos I can. I just bounce one outfitter to the next getting to know them and their operation.

I already have a pretty good support group from other PHs I worked with when I was there and the outfitter I worked for. He wanted me to get my degree before going back, this way I would have something to come back to if necessary. He didn't want me to get stuck if safari hunting is made illegal or like what happened with covid and the industry is shut down.

I really appreciate your advice, it means a lot. Happy trails.

LAST DAY LEOPARD 2019

I had a very close relationship with this Leopard. After 2 months of constant baiting I’m sure he figured me his personal chef! I was still riding around on the bait truck with the guys and we fed this old boy anything and everything we could get our hands on. We could just never get him patterned consistently. Even lowering the bait to make it harder for him to get at, to moving a couple trees over in a little bit thicker cover to make him feel more comfortable. He just never acted quite right and knew what the game was I was trying to play. Over 3 safaris we hunted him. There were multiple times we thought we had him figured out. Then all the sudden out of the blue he would decide to switch it up. From feeding 2 evenings in a row, to feeding at 8 am the next day, then coming in at 1 o’clock in the afternoon the following day. There was just no fooling this big guy!

While I’m stuck messing with this one single cat, Nathan's off hunting and killing 3 other big Leopards. So of course there was a bit of a completion between Nathan and myself, and it’s safe to say he came out on top 3-0.

This cat finally settled into a somewhat consistent feeding pattern. With the way the terrain was down along the river a mashan was the way to go to try and get this cat. Well, that didn’t work. He went back to his antics of showing up and disappearing whenever he felt like it again. After a lot of work and maneuvering, we were able to get a very small ground blind cut into a thick patch of small acacia trees. Big enough for 2 guys, barley.

The last Safari of the year is coming to a very quick end. Everything on the clients list has been filled except for the Leopard. A plan was made to try and sit for this cat one last time in the morning and if it didn’t happen, we shift to another cat that has been feeding on another bait a couple hours from camp the past 2 evenings in daylight.

Unfortunately, I was not there when the cat was shot. But everything worked according to plan. The guys were in the blind before daylight per usual and set until 8 am with no sight of the cat. At 8 the truck came and drove straight to the tree and a fresh bait was hung. The guys then drove out as if just another baiting session. 15 minutes later our long awaited Leopard was in the tree. 5 minutes after that, we had one happy client with a great cat in the salt.

After all the time and effort I had put into that cat, and to hear he had finally been shot, I was almost as excited as if I had pulled the trigger myself, almost.

--Sam Beavers

@sambeavershunting on Instagram
https://bulletsafaris.com/
https://iowatrophyhunts.net/

4911.jpg
IMAG0726.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on following your dreams Sam! Very impressive and took a lot of guts from your side!
Looking forward to many more of your stories and good luck with the upcoming exams! When will they be?

Congratulations on following your dreams Sam! Very impressive and took a lot of guts from your side!
Looking forward to many more of your stories and good luck with the upcoming exams! When will they be?

Exam while be sometime in May. Now that deer season is finished I’m looking forward to getting back over there!

Exam while be sometime in May. Now that deer season is finished I’m looking forward to getting back over there!
Congratulations Sam and good luck on your exam!

Are you able to work the hunting season in Tanzania and then return to the States? If so, can you give some insight on that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg